What's new

Williams Mug Soap, perfectly fine.... don’t hit me.

Palmolive sticks are very good. You won't need any more soap for quite awhile. Some people might find it drying, but that's what shave balms and moisturizers are for.

Arko is a real bargain if you don't mind the scent. A case of 12 sticks runs about $14-15, including shipping. Each stick is 75g, 12 sticks is 900g or around 2 pounds of soap. That's probably enough for two to three years.

As noted, if left open to the air, Arko loses a lot of the scent and smells a bit like Ivory. You might want to get a stick or two just to try it, if you can get free shipping.

The La Toja stick is one of the best. It's very cheap in Spain, under 2 euros. If you order from any of the UK or Euro vendors, you might want to throw in a stick or two of La Toja.
I ordered Palmolive classic cream, not the stick.
I would be willing to try La Toja, but I usually dont order outside the US due to shipping costs.

thanks

Is Arko that good to be worth ordering online though? I just ordered a 6 pack of Palmolive tubes from Amazon because it is supposed to be amazing.
I personally don’t know yet, but I get nearly everything online now. With no tax and free shipping, competitive prices, MUCH better selections, and often next day delivery, I don’t know why you might consider it to be more of a pain than driving around and shopping locally.

I ordered Palmolive classic cream, not the stick.
I would be willing to try La Toja, but I usually dont order outside the US due to shipping costs.

thanks
Sometimes the savings are enough to offset the shipping cost. Take a look at Connaught Shaving in the UK. Shipping is reasonable from them.

2 x 75g Arko sticks = $2.50
1 x 100g Tabac stick refill = $5.00
1 x 50g Speick stick = $4.25
1 x 125g Mitchell's Wool Fat puck = $6.50

Their prices are generally some of the best.

The English Shaving Company is another verdor with reasonable shipping. Flat rate about $5 no matter how much you buy.

There are several other good online vendors in the UK. Spain has some good ones, too, but the shipping is more costly.

I personally don’t know yet, but I get nearly everything online now. With no tax and free shipping, competitive prices, MUCH better selections, and often next day delivery, I don’t know why you might consider it to be more of a pain than driving around and shopping locally.
I order so much stuff online and get great deals on blades and carts. But as other people have noted, it was fun and nostalgic to walk into Walgreens this week and buy a Gillette DE, which I had never done before. I am more apt to try something on an impulse buy if I can take it off a store shelf.

eBay used to be tax free, but not anymore. I have Amazon prime with free shipping but they charge tax and dont always have the best prices. The free shipping some sellers offer on eBay isnt really free since they factor that into the cost. I ordered some packs of Schick injector blades over a week ago with free shipping on eBay. They shipped it the next day and I still havent received it. The location it was shipped from is an hours drive from my house! The tracking shows it was shipped via UPS but now it is being handled by USPS. I didnt know they were in cahoots.

A recent order from Amazon got to my state, New Jersey, in a couple of days from the west coast I think. Then it went to North Carolina! And this was all after well over a week waiting for them to fulfill the order and then ship it.

Last edited:
Sometimes the savings are enough to offset the shipping cost. Take a look at Connaught Shaving in the UK. Shipping is reasonable from them.

2 x 75g Arko sticks = $2.50
1 x 100g Tabac stick refill = $5.00
1 x 50g Speick stick = $4.25
1 x 125g Mitchell's Wool Fat puck = $6.50

Their prices are generally some of the best.

The English Shaving Company is another verdor with reasonable shipping. Flat rate about $5 no matter how much you buy.

There are several other good online vendors in the UK. Spain has some good ones, too, but the shipping is more costly.
Yes I have perused Connaughts site. But what about customs? And with the pandemic can you still get stuff shipped from overseas?

Yes I have perused Connaughts site. But what about customs? And with the pandemic can you still get stuff shipped from overseas?
During more normal times, my orders were in transit for about 14 days. I have not ordered recently from them, but people here reported it is slower, like an extra week or possibly two. It seems there are fewer flights from overseas due to the pandemic.

I get a chuckle out of reading about $95 creams, (not a soap) that require using a syringe to drop "exactly" one mL H2O at a time and hog up what an hour in the bathroom (omg!) just to get it to the point you can apply the foam to your skin. But that's cool, just not my thing. I don't like needles.

But I'll read folks kick dirt, spit, snort and cuss all up a down because they have to spend a day or two dialing in a 99 cent puck of Williams. I'll post the pic again. This is the inaugural run of a Semogue 1470 on a dollop of Williams. You can see the sliver of soap in the bottom of the bowl maybe 2-3 minutes max here. No needles required. Untreated well water, first lather on a dried up, never used not even soaked boar that just arrived on the west coast from Portugal.

If you want to try Williams start with your favorite boar and don't flog it. Add water just like any other soap, dip the tips of the brush and load it up.

full
cent

Last edited:
During more normal times, my orders were in transit for about 14 days. I have not ordered recently from them, but people here reported it is slower, like an extra week or possibly two. It seems there are fewer flights from overseas due to the pandemic.
But are you charged custom fees when they are delivered?

My basic point in one of my prior posts is: something like a shaving soap or cream needs to be leaps and bounds better than what I can get locally, especially if I have to have it shipped from overseas. Or else the online deal has to be a lot better than buying it in a local store.

I bought Proraso yesterday for the first time because I found it in the store. Same with KMF. I ordered Palmolive Classic cream from Amazon because of the love it gets on this forum, it is shipped from the US, and 6 tubes cost $21.

So my original question is: is Arko so good and inexpensive enough for me to order online given what I already have or will have shortly.

Thanks

Last edited:
You can order a case of 12 Arko sticks for around $14-15 from Amazon with free Prime shipping. I would not do that without trying it first. That's two or three year's worth. It's great if you want to minimize your shaving cost. There are better soaps, but they cost more.

You won't need it for awhile unless you want to have more variety.

You won't have to pay customs fees as long as the cost of the parcel is under a certain dollar limit, which is like $800.

Last edited:
P.S. I should mention if you want to save cost, there are some Euro soaps that are available by the kilo. Vito's Extra Super Coco, Cella, 3P, TFS, Rasorzero, etc. It is quite a commitment to order a kilo, though.

P.S. I should mention if you want to save cost, there are some Euro soaps that are available by the kilo. Vito's Extra Super Coco, Cella, 3P, TFS, Rasorzero, etc. It is quite a commitment to order a kilo, though.
Yes you hit the nail right on the head. In the store I can buy one inexpensive puck and if I dont like it no big deal. Online you have to order a lot to get a decent price.

I get a chuckle out of reading about $95 creams, (not a soap) that require using a syringe to drop "exactly" one mL H2O at a time and hog up what an hour in the bathroom (omg!) just to get it to the point you can apply the foam to your skin. But that's cool, just not my thing. I don't like needles.

But I'll read folks kick dirt, spit, snort and cuss all up a down because they have to spend a day or two dialing in a 99 cent puck of Williams. I'll post the pic again. This is the inaugural run of a Semogue 1470 on a dollop of Williams. You can see the sliver of soap in the bottom of the bowl maybe 2-3 minutes max here. No needles required. Untreated well water, first lather on a dried up, never used not even soaked boar that just arrived on the west coast from Portugal.

full
cent
So are you the guy that can help me?
I can get lather that looks pretty much like that but with bubbles, even if they are tiny. But the lather dissipates on my face. Please see my post:

Ok, I have tried so many times with methods I have read or videos I have watched. Can someone please point me to the definitive foolproof one that works? A very detailed one. Nothing left out. Sometimes even the videos have something being done off screen.

I have no fancy equipment like a scuttle. I have an unkown brand badger brush over 20 years old, an Omega boar, dont remember the model and though I still have the box it doesnt say, so please look at the pic.

I have the green VDH ceramic bowl I usually keep the puck in. I have a plastic salsa bowl that works well, and can easily use a mug from around the house. I have a water softener in my house so my water is not hard.

Thanks

Yes you hit the nail right on the head. In the store I can buy one inexpensive puck and if I dont like it no big deal. Online you have to order a lot to get a decent price.
Amazon does have a 3-pack of Arko sticks for around $6 with Prime shipping. That's $2 each, so not that bad when you consider each stick is good for about 3 months. If you want to try Arko, that is an easy way to do it.

Amazon does have a 3-pack of Arko sticks for around $6 with Prime shipping. That's $2 each, so not that bad when you consider each stick is good for about 3 months. If you want to try Arko, that is an easy way to do it.
Thanks.

And apologies to the OP for hijacking his thread, lol.

So are you the guy that can help me?
I can get lather that looks pretty much like that but with bubbles, even if they are tiny. But the lather dissipates on my face. Please see my post:

Well that's not bad, you're getting lather. Slow down, Williams will froth up if you flog it.

Typical old school Williams process. Put mug with soap and brush in sink. Fill mug with hot water. Shower. Pour off water, shake out brush and gently make lather. Dip tips in water if you need more water.

If you flog Williams it will foam up so you need to just take a minute and load the brush. Build the lather on your face more than in the mug. By the end of your first puck you probably won't need to soak the brush or bloomr the puck.

This is from a thread 'Have you ever worn out a brush?'

"Of course, several. Always left lather in them for the next day's shave which means they were rinsed... occasionally. Ever wonder why a brush looks like this?

proxy.php

It's from leaving them on the puck of Williams (or Cogate or OS) after every shave like this.

proxy.php

Last edited:
This is what happened to me. I started shaving a long time ago in the 70's with a mug of Old Spice soap and mug, an Eveready C40 Boar brush and one of my father's cast of TTO DE razors. Man, did that give a harsh shave. Anyway, When I couldn't find replacement pucks I switched to a Track II. and canned goo. The shave was milder but I spent the next 30 years suffering with ingrown hairs.

Now I have the best of all worlds. The straight razor gives me the most comfortable shave of any method I have tried by a long shot, and as close as I want (double pass for DFS or triple pass for BBS). Not a single ingrown hair-everd Started with Surrey and liked it then followed with its successor VDH Deluxe. It's so cheap I have never been tempted by Williams. Anybody have experience with both? If so how do they compare?
For me having used both it’s a photo finish, both on the same page imo.Can’t go wrong with either one.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Load it like you hate it! I like William's. It takes some getting used to. And if you try Perfumania, they sometimes have deep discounts on Tabac. Been awhile since I got any there as I am allergic to it now.

Top Bottom