What's new

Williams mug shave soap good or bad?

Williams isn't going anywhere trust me! They sell so much of this stuff it's insane. They actually just updated the Williams Mug Soap website and listed all the stores that carry it.

Williams isn't going anywhere trust me! They sell so much of this stuff it's insane. They actually just updated the Williams Mug Soap website and listed all the stores that carry it.
Maybe they will go back to the old formulation.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

See also "blue willy", "clubbin' willy", etc...

Shred puck, cover with AS of choice, let sit, pack down, lather away.

Is the formulation I posted the old formulation?

Yes. Some people say that the boxes that have the bar code on them is when it got "bad" but I'm using a puck right now from a barcode box and it's amazingly good, definitely better than the most modern version for sure. I personally say it's when they took the price circles off the box is when it changed but that's just me.

I just scored some original Glasonbury, CT manufactured...very awesome.

I find the current formulation to suck big time and be slick at the same time.

I just scored some original Glasonbury, CT manufactured...very awesome.

I find the current formulation to suck big time and be slick at the same time.
Do you have hard water?. How do you lather it face, or bowl?.

Clayton

For me it's alright, but I don't get tempted enough to use it. It's just there when I need it, but there's just too many soaps that steal my gaze.

When I started using soap in 2015 I tried and rejected Williams, but in the past 6-8 months I've really come to appreciate it and now I use it 2-3 times a week, always getting a good shave with it.

The box looks like an older Williams, which should make good lather. I bought half a dozen on the last "it's discontinued" scare. I keep a pump bottle of Kiss My Face shave cream around, not just for Williams, but any time I screw up a soap lather. A small squirt of KMF after loading up the brush with Williams makes fantastic lather every time!!

The box looks like an older Williams, which should make good lather. I bought half a dozen on the last "it's discontinued" scare. I keep a pump bottle of Kiss My Face shave cream around, not just for Williams, but any time I screw up a soap lather. A small squirt of KMF after loading up the brush with Williams makes fantastic lather every time!!
That's the famous "Kiss My Willie."

I use Williams whenever I think I want extra special hydration.

Also, If I ever underestimate and fall short in the quantity of soap/croap used to lather on an given day, I just whip out my Williams puck and apply it directly to the area on my face where I want the lather and boom I just made a quick creamy and slick lather out of nowhere to save the shave.

When using Williams as the main shave soap of the day:
1 - Complete pre-shave beard prep.
2 - Make sure your beard/face is warm and wet.
3 - Wet one side of the Williams puck just a little.
4 - Thoroughly apply this side of the puck like a soap being applied directly on your beard.
5 - Use your hot brush to face lather.
DONE! ENJOY!

To many good soaps to waste time on Williams for me. I've tried it on and off for 20 plus years and the results were always the same. Dissipating lather and the most appalling smell. To each his own but imo it just plain old sucks.

When is the last time that you tried it? I am not a scent aficionado but it smelled okay to me. I would describe it as peppery fresh soap smell. Then again, scent is one of the most subjective parts of soap preference. It is obviously no luxury soap. But, price and hydration performance make it valuable to me.

My current theory about why some people like it and some don't:
1 - Many have not tried the latest iteration of Williams.
2 - Regional Water type may cause lathering difficulties but I have heard that the latest formulation has solved this problem.

Williams is great, both modern and vintage. What you have pictured there is late-vintage. It's Tallow first, so it'll be good.

My water is mid-range...I have a water softener, though. I had been face latering, but mostly bowl lately.

Why do you ask?

Do you have hard water?. How do you lather it face, or bowl?.

Clayton

My water is mid-range...I have a water softener, though. I had been face latering, but mostly bowl lately.

Why do you ask?
I have soft water and I found I get a thick cushiony lather if I bowl lather. Add 2 teaspoons of water to your bowl. Load up your brush like you hate it, don't skimp on the Williams. Now work your brush till the soap looks like whipped cream with peaks, should feel cushiony between your fingers. Williams is good soap.

Clayton

Today was my first time using Williams. It takes effort to work the lather into a usable state. Once you work out all the suds it Thickens up and shaves good. For the price and easy access to it, it's worth it.

Top Bottom