What's new

Williams Institute for Shaving Excellence (WISE)

$15 per puck? Is that the original Williams? I can imagine you could ask for it since it's getting very hard to find and is known for being a solid performer, but the new Williams just isn't that great although I hear it is now discontinued.
Similar pricing on Amazon too. This is for modern (new) Williams. Prices jumped to this level soon after it was discontinued.

Similar pricing on Amazon too. This is for modern (new) Williams. Prices jumped to this level soon after it was discontinued.
Interesting, but a lot of times the pricing on Amazon is multiples higher than it should be because the seller doesn't actually have the product so it's just a placeholder. I remember seeing Red River go for around $100 per box when it was only a couple of bucks in Canada.

I certainly wouldn't pay that much for cheap soap even if it is now discontinued. I think I still have about 10 pucks of Williams I could be rich lol.

25F30785-BCC1-4ACC-AA54-329632EA30DE.jpeg

Strong scent. Doesn't smell like any Williams Mug I've used in the last 40 years.

Military issue or from the PX?
61746173-8047-4B45-8A44-E8BF3D729296.jpeg

Strong scent. Doesn't smell like any Williams Mug I've used in the last 40 years.

Military issue or from the PX?
If I recall correctly, the stick was actually made in South Africa and is not related to the regular soap. If anyone can confirm or deny this please correct me.

If I recall correctly, the stick was actually made in South Africa and is not related to the regular soap. If anyone can confirm or deny this please correct me.

I can't definitely confirm, but...

Outer label says "Printed in U.S.A."
Inner foil wrapper says "Printed in U.S.A."
Bottom of tube says (raised lettering) "CONTAINER MADE IN U.S.A."

There is no mention of the place the soap was manufactured and packaged. Maybe an outer box confessed that detail.

I'm guessing that J.B. Williams did not want to tool up for a new product format and out-sourced it. With an entirely different soap and scent, they were not going to easily convert their puck customers to stick users.

I am using Van Der Hagen Deluxe shave soap. Palmolive menthol in the tube and Proraso Menthol tube. I have two pucks of Williams I will save for posterity. I guess Combe didn't want to make a product that was sold as cheap as Williams shave soap was sold at. Oh well...everything changes. Maybe someone overseas will pick it up.

Wow...I just stumbled here and am sad to see another icon disappear. I used Williams Mug exclusively for many years. That was pre 2004..sometime later I decided to dump my minimalist shave routine in favor of excessive variety. I didn't even know the formula changed. I still use it from time-to-time and still have 3 pucks.

Sad day indeed.

I used Williams Mug exclusively for many years. That was pre 2004..sometime later I decided to dump my minimalist shave routine in favor of excessive variety. I didn't even know the formula changed.

My Williams life is summed up perfectly by jagwire64. Fortunately my excessive variety will make my three or so back stocked pucks of Williams last for many years.

I have one puck grated into a stick and two filling the bottom of an Old Spice mug, so I won't open a new puck for years as it is.

And I'm still sad Williams Mug has gone away.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
My Williams life is summed up perfectly by jagwire64. Fortunately my excessive variety will make my three or so back stocked pucks of Williams last for many years.

I have one puck grated into a stick and two filling the bottom of an Old Spice mug, so I won't open a new puck for years as it is.

And I'm still sad Williams Mug has gone away.
I've got a wafer of Williams at the bottom of my Old Spice mug, and four unopened pucks I got about 4 years ago that should last me indefinitely, and I'm still sad Williams has gone away.

~doug~

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've got a wafer of Williams at the bottom of my Old Spice mug, and four unopened pucks I got about 4 years ago that should last me indefinitely, and I'm still sad Williams has gone away.

~doug~
Amen .... Any news about a return for William's?

Stumbled on this thread this morning and on page one was surprised to find out that the scuttle that I picked up about a month ago (okay, I bought it mostly for the brush to restore) was an old Williams promotional item from (most likely) the 70's and I'm guessing for the bicentennial. The scuttle is in good shape, but oddly enough, there isn't anything Williams related stamped on it, although I believe there is a sticker saying made in Japan on the bottom. I always thought the scuttle motif seemed odd, but never considered that it would be a promotional item, much less for Williams Mug Soap but it all kind of makes sense now. I'll admit that I'm feeling a little bit embarrassed to say that I loaded a puck of vintage Colgate into it, but I promise to replace it with some Williams once it's done. Mea Culpa, I'm Sooorry!
Champion Shave.jpg

That is a sweet looking scuttle. I bought a similar one sometime ago and have yet to try it. I have tried lather bowls, but always go back to face lathering. That kind of scuttle has always intrigued me.

Your faux pas is easily forgiven if you don't mind me keeping my Williams Mug soap in a Burmashave mug.

I hear those pucks of b-pure at Dollar Store for $1.25 are giving WMS a run for the money. I got a couple of them too.

~doug~
Ingredients in those appear to be more similar to Van Der Hagen versus tallow-based Williams. Combination of foaming agents and humectants as primary ingredients. Don't own the Dollar Store version but the Van Der Hagen Luxury soap with glycerin works well.

Saw four pucks of modern Williams sell for $50 in the recent Susan Moore auction. Validates the $10+ selling prices we've seen on Amazon and ebay. Also shows that asking is not getting. Folks tend to be more generous for a charity even so based on this suspect few pucks of Williams are selling for the listed $15 -$20 prices.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Saw four pucks of modern Williams sell for $50 in the recent Susan Moore auction. Validates the $10+ selling prices we've seen on Amazon and ebay. Also shows that asking is not getting. Folks tend to be more generous for a charity even so based on this suspect few pucks of Williams are selling for the listed $15 -$20 prices.
If I didn't already have four pucks of modern Williams I got a few years back, I was thinking of putting in a bid on that one.

~doug~

Top Bottom