What's new

Will Proraso ever get good?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I know I've knocked Proraso several times. So after looking at it still sitting there for six months I decided to use the Proraso shave soap the other night along with a good prep using the Proraso pre-shave cream. It lathered very easily and looked and felt great going on. However, the actual shave was disappointing.

The first thing I noticed was that there was a lot of drag. The biggest reason I quit using it was because the lubricity was very weak. The second major flaw for me, which is a big plus for others, is the numbing effect. I got the biggest cut I have had in many years due to desensitized feedback. With my Slim adjustable set up high I gashed a pretty big hole in my skin right where the jaw and chin meet. On the plus side though, the cooling effect made the post shave discomfort less noticeable.

So it is a good choice if:

1. You don't really need or like a lot of lubrication
2. Enjoy the cooling effect
3. Want quick and easy to make lather
4. You need something, "NOW" (buy at Target), that's better than Williams

It is a poor choice if:

1. You like blade buffing, need lots of lubrication
2. Enjoy feeling your face during the shave
3. You already have a good supply of quality soaps/creams

If you are new to making your own lather don't let this product negatively affect your decision to continue. Since YMMV is such a huge factor in this area it is important to try other top quality products if one doesn't float your boat.

Anyway, I hope I have been far.

I reckon my mileage does vary, because I've never had a problem with it.
I'll admit it isn't a top soap, but I like it for traveling. It's convenient and it does a good job for me.

I find proraso CREAMS (haven't tried the soap) to be incredibly lubricating! I really prefer the red tube version, but the green works very well for me, too. I agree that other creams/soaps do as good or a better job, but in terms of a go-to, everyday cream I have no complaints about proraso (except my skin doesn't appreciate the menthol every day).

The red tube also has a wonderful (IMHO) soapy smell quite unlike the green tube and the pre/post...but it still contains the menthol and therefore still gives that cooling effect. The red tube's cooling effect is less pronounced than the green, but I appreciate this as with the green by the third pass it feels cold going on (even when the lather is warm), but with the red the lather still feels warm when applied.

I will stop babbling now.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I find proraso CREAMS (haven't tried the soap) to be incredibly lubricating! I really prefer the red tube version, but the green works very well for me, too. I agree that other creams/soaps do as good or a better job, but in terms of a go-to, everyday cream I have no complaints about proraso (except my skin doesn't appreciate the menthol every day).

The red tube also has a wonderful (IMHO) soapy smell quite unlike the green tube and the pre/post...but it still contains the menthol and therefore still gives that cooling effect. The red tube's cooling effect is less pronounced than the green, but I appreciate this as with the green by the third pass it feels cold going on (even when the lather is warm), but with the red the lather still feels warm when applied.

I will stop babbling now.

I appreciate the detailed feedback. I will keep a watch for the red tube Proraso. So far I have not seen it at the store. If it is there, I will at least give it a fair shot. I won't go out of my way to mail order it though. :biggrin:

i used to hate the stuff just as much as you, but it's definately grown on me to be the top cream for me the past 3.5 months. it seems to give a good clean shave and is very cheap. then best way to use it IMHO is to lather it up really nice then make sure you spend enough face lathering time to get a nice thick layer going. to me this cream tends to be runny at the beginning but after working it around on my face for two minutes it thickens up nicely and then i know i've worked it on my face long enough.

The first thing I noticed was that there was a lot of drag. The biggest reason I quit using it was because the lubricity was very weak.

That's my biggest knock against it too. But I'll give the cream a try tonight to give it another chance. But these days I pretty much use only Mama Bear and Honeybee Spa soaps. They're so good I have trouble talking myself into using anything else in my cabinet.

I still love Proraso cream.

I'm not sure why it's not lubricating for you, but for me it's so over the top that I have problems with it.

I haven't used the soap but the cream has always been very lubricating for me. In fact, as a result of using the green Proraso, I started ordering other creams figuring they would be just as good or better. What I have discovered is that they are different(in scent, effect[non-cooling]) but not blown out of the water better.

I seem to forget to use Proraso on a regular basis but it always provides a top notch shave for me.

Marty

Yeah, this whole wetshaving thing can be one giant crapshoot at times. Yes, it's kicking a dead horse, but...YMMV. Proraso was my first "real" shave and I've loved it ever since. I sincerely do hope that you'll park in the back for a while and revisit it again sometime in the future. Who knows!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Yeah, this whole wetshaving thing can be one giant crapshoot at times. Yes, it's kicking a dead horse, but...YMMV. Proraso was my first "real" shave and I've loved it ever since. I sincerely do hope that you'll park in the back for a while and revisit it again sometime in the future. Who knows!

I won't throw it out, but after cleaning the bathroom today, here is a look at what is out front.

View attachment 6016

Complexions are different and react differently. I can only say that Proraso has given me the smoothest, closest, cleanest shaves of my life. I've tried many others, but I always come back to Proraso Green. The only thing that has come close to it in effectiveness for me is Valobria shaving soap.

You may try and wet the brush ever so little after you have the lather on and re lather over top on your first lather .This will wet it up more and chances are the drag will go away. Workes for me when the drag happens as it is a good cream.

Ronnie:sleep:

The Proraso soap I lather on my face, because that is pretty much the way it is designed to be used. I don't have a problem with lubricity that way because I can tell when I have added too much water while working it on my skin.

The cream gets whipped up in my heavy shaving mug. With either product I don't such a numbing effect that I can't feel what the blade is doing.

Dennis, I know your problem. You need to throw out that electric razor!!:eek: :eek:

You know, just having one in the bathroom can cause irritation and redness.:biggrin1:

I havent used the soap but I use the green tube cream quite normally. I find it gives me more lube than some more expensive creams. The pre-post+green tube=Heaven! Cant wait to use it all summer long :)

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Dennis, I know your problem. You need to throw out that electric razor!!:eek: :eek:

You know, just having one in the bathroom can cause irritation and redness.:biggrin1:

It's not a razor. It's a beard trimmer. MBW wanted me to grow a soul patch so I had to get something to keep it under control.

Top Bottom