What's new

Wilkinson sword shave stick a little known gem of a shave stick

I would like to attract fellow shavers attention to this shave stick if you have not yet tried it. It comes in the same type of minimalistic packaging as the palmolive shave stick and in Germany it costs around 3.5 €. It does not exactly belong to the cheap shave sticks but it is well worth the money. When you take the wrapper off you are confronted with a blue shave stick with a faint but fresh soapy scent. The stick is quite hard compared to palmolive so you will need to soak it in hot water before rubbing it on your face. I am in the habit of building lather for a long time and it really pays off with this little beauty. The first lather I generate on my face is not for the shave itself, I use it to soften up my whiskers by applying a thin coat and then covering it with a hot towel. In the process the brush gets charged with soon to be shaving lather. I then rub the stick once more liberally on my face before lathering up for the shave. This soap is more reminiscent of Tabac than it is of palmolive when it comes to the lather it produces: super creamy and almost shiny in its appearance. It has the same slickness as Palmolive but I find it more protective and it does more for my skin than palmolive. Tabac still comes out on top. Unfortunately, I do not have the ingredient list at hand but it contains tallowates, stearates, lanolin and glycerin. If I were to rank it compared to some well known soaps I would say that the following order should give you some idea: 1. Tabac, 2. Wilkinson Sword Shave Stick, 3. Arko and 4. Palmolive.

Please be warned not to confuse the shave stick with the bowl. I have not tried the bowl but it appears to be a disastrous shave soap, not worth the money even if it is cheap. It is the shave stick you want.

Erik,

Thanks for bringing a fantastic soap stick to light and your excellent review.

To me it's like great Mitchell's Wool Fat in a stick. This bright blue soap does every thing that a shave stick should do. It provides cushion, lubrication and has a great post-shave face feel.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That one has a very mild and clean scent. I really enjoy it. You are right, bowl vs. stick, two very different products. The stick is way ahead!

Thanks for the really informative review, Erik. Your shaving method also seems like one I will probably steal from you!!

I wonder where I can get one of these sticks in the UK...

Sounds like another stick I need to try! I've been rotating through Palmolive, Speick, and La Toja a lot lately and love all of them.

For me it would be Wilkinson > Palmolive > Arko > Tabac. I like the feel of the Tabac lather, and the scent, but it dries out my skin no matter how much water I add. More YMMV: I have no need to wet the Wilks stick, or any other I have tried. I just wet my face and load the soap on my stubble. But we each use what works for us.

Which shops sell the Wilks stick in Germany? We could add that information to http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Germany_Shaving_supplies

My dad bought me a few of the sticks right before he passed on, as well as two of the bowls. I personally prefer Tabac as I feel the Wilkinson sticks leave a 'sticky' film on my face. My blade just glides through Tabac. YMMV of course.

i have never came across the wilkinson shave stick in the uk, the blue bowl is everywhere though, i used the blue bowl the other night, its not very good , not much of a lather from it, but i refuse to throw things out, it had been lying around for months, i thought i will give it another go, it was still not up to much.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
This is a soap that I definitely want to try. For some reason, however, it seems a bit less common to find compared to other popular sticks. Very nice write-up, Erik!

For me it would be Wilkinson > Palmolive > Arko > Tabac. I like the feel of the Tabac lather, and the scent, but it dries out my skin no matter how much water I add. More YMMV: I have no need to wet the Wilks stick, or any other I have tried. I just wet my face and load the soap on my stubble. But we each use what works for us.

Which shops sell the Wilks stick in Germany? We could add that information to http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Germany_Shaving_supplies

For some reason some soaps just do not work for some people. I have had the same experience as you have had with Tabac with another soap famous for its lather: the non tallow almond scented Valobra which seems to leach moisture from my skin such that at the end of the shave my face feels like a tin can that has been sitting out in the sun.

In Munich, the wilkinson shave sticks are available at the Rossman drugstore.

Marco, if you would like to try one, I can set you up with a stick!

This is a very good stick! Similar to Palmolive in performance, with a milder, more soapy, less cologne-like scent.

The Wilkinson sticks are amazing. Very similar to Palmolive packaging-wise, so maybe they are made by the same factory? I'm still sure they perform similarly, but haven't used it in a while. The smell is good and it works great. Definitely recommended from my end. But I would point out that it is not the same as the blue bowls you can get in the UK (they really are awful and totally different to the stick).

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
This Wilkinson stick is starting to "inspire" me quite a lot... Also, it does contain both tallow and lanolin as the new Lea stick, which I consider an excellent soap. Has anyone used both Wilkinson and Lea for a head-to-head comparison?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
This Wilkinson stick is starting to "inspire" me quite a lot... Also, it does contain both tallow and lanolin as the new Lea stick, which I consider an excellent soap. Has anyone used both Wilkinson and Lea for a head-to-head comparison?

According to wiki (http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Wilkinson_Sword_Shave_Stick), tallow yes, lanolin no. I have no clue on how it compares to Lea as I never tried Lea (old or new formulation). It's a very good contender!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have one recently purchased and it definitely has lanolin in the ingredients list, great stick btw.

The WS stick is NOT the same soap as in the WS bowl, stay away from that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom