What's new

Wilkinson Safety Razor Wedge Blade - How to hone?

Wasn't sure where to post this - not really a straight but not a typical safety razor blade either....anyway, I recently won this Wilkinson Empire 7-day set. It's complete, and all the blades look clean and sharp to the naked eye. At some point I may even work up the nerve to shave with it, which led me to wonder, how would I go about honing one of these if it turns out to be a little dull? The instructions talk about stropping but no mention of honing. I have a Goodrich hone coming; would that be of use?

Saw this lonely old post and realized no-one had helped you out.:wink2:
I can't tell from the photos exactly what approach to take, but I've had moderate success honing Valet Autostrop blades by wrapping electrical tape around the end of the blade until the correct bevel angle was reached. Then all I did was push it up the hone, flip it and push it back. It was time consuming, and a pain to get the tape to the right width and thickness, but it recovered the edge quite nicely.
Wether that approach would work or not with those blades i can't say. I think the Rolls Razor blades have a hole in the side that lets one insert a chopstick or something to take the place of a handle. Not sure that those blades have such a thing. Regardless, with a little creativity, it should be quite doable.
Good luck.
If you run into a wall, feel free to give me a holler and I'll gladly try to hone one up for you.

Sometimes those come with a piece of metal that goes into the bottom of the handle so that you can attach the blade for honing. I know that my C.V. Heljestrand Modele Kindal set does.

Top Bottom