What's new

Wild Turkey American Honey

I am normally a Wild Turkey 101 man, not straight but mixed with sprite or sweet and sour. I have never been much of an on the rocks guy. Heck for about the last 6 years I can't even do shots anymore. Well, unless it's tequila but that normally doesn't turn out well (from what I'm told :lol: )

My wife went to the store the other day for some stuff and on the way out she noticed my jug was dry so she said she would pick me up another (it took 12 years to get her trained but I think she's a keeper!) When she got home she said she had a surprise. I hurried out of my office to the kitchen and saw a bottle of Wild Turkey American honey. I have heard a little bit about this but never really paid much attention.

Well I cracked the bottle and took a tiny taste... Yumm! This stuff could be dangerous!! I put it away and decided to save it for this morning, I work nights and this was my first night back after being off for a few days and since "Mondays" are rough I figured this would be a nice way to round out the day.

I got home and filled a rocks glass 3/4 of the way with ice and then 1/2 way with WTH. I took a few sips as I was doing a little school work and surfing B&B and I have got to say I really like this stuff. I am not drinking it at a fast or even moderate rate but it has a great smooth honey taste with a slight Turkey finish. I find as the ice is melting it almost tastes like a sweet tea.

At 71 proof it doesn't rip my head off but it is enough to warm me up. These are just my initial reactions but so far I am a fan. I didn't see much about WTH around here so I figured I would speak my piece and see if anyone else has any experience with it.

Last summer I toured the Wild Turkey distillery and after sampling several different flavors I found that to be my favorite. Now the house always has a bottle in it. I am normally a beer drinker but from time to time I like the Wild Turkey honey on the rocks.

I've been afraid to try any of the flavored bourbons for fear that they'll remind me too much of SoCo and I'll have wasted money. Maybe I'll try some the next time I see a nip bottle at the liquor store.

I've tried the JD, Turkey and Evan Williams honey products. IMO they all benefit by some help from the parent whiskey. That is to say that a bit of Turkey 101 mixed with the Turkey Honey knocks the sweetness back to a more palatable level for me. I think the Evan Williams is the best of the lot. It has a bit of a citrus note along with the amped up sweetness.

I am a big fan of Wild Turkey having been turned on to it by my brother-in-law who worked at Wild Turkey for many years. However, the American Honey is just too sweet for me. It's kind of funny because my wife has a black shirt which reads "I Am an American Honey."

Recently, I have been enjoying WT mixed with juice for 1/4 lime and Fresca. Very refreshing.

It is sweet but I am not much of a straight whiskey guy so this is kind of a middle ground for me. Who knows this may trun me around on that...

have tried both the JD and wild Turkey honey the JD has alot more whiskey burn the WT is alot more milder

I am not a fan of JD, I don't even like the smell! I am still happy with the WT. I am about 3/4 through the bottle and have been having a glass or two after work for the last few days. I think this stuff is a keeper.

To each his own.

I like WT 101 and sprite, Dos XX, Miller Light, Budwiser, Capt. & Pepsi and a ton of other mixed drinks.

I like the taste of Bourbon but it is a little much for me. Since I have been drinking WTAH I find that I really like the taste of Bourbon and never realized what a few ice cubes or a little water could do.

I think I will be more open to try other things on the rocks now.

I do agree that WTAH is very sweet, but I don't mind that. I find that when it gets to the end of the glass it tastes like tea.

Mix any of the "honeys" 50/50 with a regular bourbon (I prefer Bullit) and you got yourself a cocktail. Cuts the sweet down, cuts the bite down. Ahhhh....

i once bought a shot bottle of wild turkey honey cause i was trying out this drinking game with 3 shot of WTH and 3 shot of vodka. forgot my reaction to the game. but i decide to bring a bottle for new years trip to vegas one year. everyone in the room enjoyed. i have yet to try out the other brand mixed with honey.

I think most Whisk(e)y liqueurs benefit from an addition of the original spirit.

I've not tried the wild turkey variants, but the Jim Beam Red Stag Cherry / Honey variants are definitely improved when mixed about 1:1 with Jim Beam. Macallan's 'Amber' liqueur needs about 1 part liqueur to 2 parts whisky, and so does Drambuie.

Or perhaps my tastes just aren't as sweet as they used to be....

I've been afraid to try any of the flavored bourbons for fear that they'll remind me too much of SoCo and I'll have wasted money. Maybe I'll try some the next time I see a nip bottle at the liquor store.

I thought the same thing. I tried the Jack Daniels version and was unimpressed.

I've tried the JD, Turkey and Evan Williams honey products. IMO they all benefit by some help from the parent whiskey. That is to say that a bit of Turkey 101 mixed with the Turkey Honey knocks the sweetness back to a more palatable level for me. I think the Evan Williams is the best of the lot. It has a bit of a citrus note along with the amped up sweetness.

I'll have to try this trick - thanks!

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I got a couple of minatures and some beer one night. I drank one minature of American Honey afte 3 beers that was somm good stuff. I've had it straight on the rocks on Christmas and that stuff was so smooth I kept drinking it until I had my full. When I went to drive I was seeing doubles. I have to remeber to go slow on drinking it next time or stay home and drink it. It is some good stuff though.

Top Bottom