What's new

Wild SE finds 8/20

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I went back out razor hunting again today. Found some neat stuff. These are models I dont yet have, so all is good. Any info on how these shave, or anything else is always appreciated. I've had a good run so far. In the last couple of months, I've been able to find about 30 vintage razors at the local flea market. I've found DE, SE and injectors. I havent been skunked yet. But I suspect my luck may run a bit dryer at some point. For now, I am grabbing anything that looks interesting. At the very least, I can always pass stuff along that i dont jive with. But razor hunting is great fun! Here is today's haul...

GEM 1912 Brooklyn Model. I think that is the model. It says "Pat 1912" on the frame where the handle screws in. And it says Brooklyn on the base plate. You SE gurus can confirm this. This one is in great shape. It needs a serious cleaning. It must have 50 years of gunk on it. But all looks to be intact and aligned properly. It comes with the metal case and blade holder. The finish and fabric on the case has seen better days, but its all there, and its all holding together nicely. I think this was a great find. You guys can tell me if Im right.

proxy.php

proxy.php

GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip. This one is clean and in perfect working condition. If the feedback on my two other MM's are any indicator, this may be a bunch too aggressive for this mild shave lover. Let me know if that is the case. Either way, this is a great addition to the collection.

proxy.php

Ever-Ready 1924. At least that is what my research has made me believe about this one. Also says "Brklyn" in the base plate. This is a nice razor too. Good shape. Great finish. In perfect working order. It also needs a serious cleaning. I have not been able to find out if this one is aggressive or mild. If anyone knows, that would be great to know.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Schick E-2 non-fixed spring version. This one is a mess. I think the guard bar part of the head is mashed in a bit, and I dont think it will ever be shave-able. But it will be a nice display item when the cleanup is done. The bakelite handle is in great shape. And the price was right. To tell you the truth, given the reputation these things have as very aggressive, I probably would have never shaved with it anyway. If anyone has any pointers on how I can fix this sucker up, or if anyone needs it for parts, let me know.

proxy.php

The Gem 1912 you have there is a nice early version example of the so called new improved model ...They started to make these in the early 1920s....The second one is indeed a 1924, otherwise known as the shovel Head....The 1924 is the most aggressive of the two, but its very smooth & manoeuvrable compared to the 1912...:w00t:

The Schick that opens that you have is a smooth comb Type E 2...These actually clean up remarkably well usually...I can only see a photo but the comb looks fine from here...The E 2 that you have is a smooth shaver although they can bite you when provoked and offer a cut...These were the most aggressive of all the USA made Type E Models along with the Type E 1....:w00t:

Enjoy...:thumbup1:

Billy

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Thanks for the info Billy. I will try and get a side photo of the safety bar/blade comb on that E2 at some point and repost. It looks mashed in quite a bit, and the blade stops are almost non-existent. If thats the way its supposed to be, no wonder its so aggressive.

;)

Your Gem 1912 is a travel set called the "Triumph." It features a low profile head so that it will fit into the slim cigarette case style case.

If you like your razors on the mild side, the Bullet Tip, officially known as the "Flying Wing" is the razor for you. Of the 3 Micromatics it is by far the mildest. Just remember that with this model the cap should be right flat against your face.

In contrast. your Ever-Ready 1924. sometimes called the "Shovelhead," is one of the most aggressive SE razors out there. In addition there are two versions, a rounded tooth comb and a flat-toothed comb. You have the flat tooth version which is considered the more aggressive of the two. Proceed with extreme caution. :tongue_sm

The Schick E2's vary in aggression from aggressive to hyper-crazy aggressive. If it is indeed bent and/or the spring is loose it will make a nice paperweight.

--Bob

Top Bottom