What's new

Why men's hair products so expensive?

I have been looking into pomades, clays and such lately and some of this stuff is incredibly expensive. I'm talking about $30-$40 for 1.5-3.5 oz. Most of these are for waterbased stuff but still.

I don't know if these products beauty to cost ratio is worth it?

I blame the hipsters! Actually this has been a growing segment of many beauty and health care brands and just like our female counterparts there is a wide variety of products and prices. If you would like to try a very good water-based pomade for very little money the Walmart Equate brand will fit the bill. I have been comparing it to the American Crew and Imperial Barber which were both highly recommended and it is easily the best value and perhaps even my favorite of the three.

These things tend to last an incredibly long time. I opened up a 2.6oz container of Sebastian Matte Putty (not artisan) in the middle of June. I'm not about halfway through it. It came as a two-pack. It is good, but not great. I'm probably going to trade the second container away or PIF it.
They are very much YMMV kinds of things. I really wish I had a local barber that carried quite a few of them so I can try them out. I've not heard of any vendors that do samples. I'm sure the perfect one for me is out there, but I really don't want to bet wrong.

I haven't paid more then $30 CDN for any pomade I own. I spent $25 CDN on a tin of Ruezel Green, which lasts anywhere from 6-10 months. My girlfriend spends 60-100 every 6/8 weeks on her hair, and the amount of bottles, shampoos and sprays she has at home is probably 200-300$ at least.

So comparatively I think men are better off.

Sounds expensive in proportion to the volume, but it really does last forever. A $30 tin of pomade lasts me anywhere from 6-10 months as mentioned above. Your mileage may vary.

These things tend to last an incredibly long time.

. I spent $25 CDN on a tin of Ruezel Green, which lasts anywhere from 6-10 months.

Sounds expensive in proportion to the volume, but it really does last forever. A $30 tin of pomade lasts me anywhere from 6-10 months as mentioned above. Your mileage may vary.

So I guess it doesn't sound that bad when you put it into perspective.

IMO this is relative. Compared to what LOTH spends on hair stuff, the men's products are a bargain!

Luckily I haven't been afflicted by... PAD? I only use two and feel no desire to try more.

For when my hairs longer and I want a more classic wet look without being too greasy or heavy:

proxy.php

Murray's is about $3. Not fancy, not much smell but it does what I need it to do.

Then when my hairs shorter and I just want something to keep it from sticking up in places I use this:
proxy.php

More like a paste than a pomade and can dry a little stiff. But it smells fresh and is about $5.

There are a lot of quality oil based pomade that sells for nothing.

Dax / murray / sweet georgia brown etc water based pomade tend to be on the pricey side.

I am for oil based all the way!

$clay.jpg

You can get great products if you know what you're looking for. There's tons of water base pomades out there if that's what you're into. I would never pay top dollar for those types of pomades though. If you're into clay type pomades, then it's going to cost you. I rate Baxter of California as the best clay pomade. It goes for $20. It's pretty nice stuff. However, the ingredients are very similar to Dax Wave and Groom, which you can get for $3. The hold isn't that great either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rENdcdgvl10

Pomades are hip. Their popularity is increasing, and therefore prices rise accordingly.

I've tried a couple pomades. Not really impressed. I'll stick with hair tonics and gels. Very cheap!

Top Bottom