What's new

Why is......

Why is there a 3rd pin in the scales of some str8s?
Screenshot_20180116-141404.jpg

What's its purpose?

Should the Tang at anytime come in contact with the extra pin in the middle of the scales?

I believe this was done to improve rigidity of the scales and prevent warping. From what I've read, it became popular once SR manufacturers switched to celluloid/plastic instead of horn/ivory/etc.
In general, razors with 3 pins tend to be high(er) quality compared to the 2 pin counterparts from the same manufacturer. But that's only a broad generalization that should be taken with a grain of salt. The business end of the razor is always on the blade, not the scales.

There are several opinions about this. My guess is, it keeps the cutting edge from protruding below the scales to prevent injury. It is much more common on blades of larger widths. 6/8 +.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I have considered three pin razor to be of higher quality than a two pin, a very broad generalization. I have three and two pin and and like them both. But for most of my warped SR that I broke down, they were three pin. When ever I break down a three pin SR, I always cut and blind peen the third pin so it is useless other than aesthetics

20180116_183221.jpg
This is correct, also a sign of quality and it should not contact the blade at any point but I have a Novodur that just grazes the tang tip when opening.
I found in a junk store today.

Attachments

• 20180116_190636.jpg
    20180116_190636.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Eventually, warping the scales and loosening of the pins are inevitable especially for hefty blades like 7/8 and 8/8 and the blade can slip and go through the scales , so it can hurt you or it can damage the bevel. The third pin stops the blade get through the scales.

Why is there a third pin?

Because a fourth pin would have been too many...
I saw a young lady in the store last night who should have had this advice...

proxy.php

But, back on topic, I too believe the third pin is to keep the blade from swinging through the scales and becoming a hazard, mostly with larger blades.

It is a "stop" to make the blade seat properly in the handle. These became popular when scales went from bone to plastic since plastic has a tendency to warp, allowing the edge to protrude out the other side of the scales and cut users.

View attachment 853156 I found in a junk store today.

It does help to prevent warping. It is much more common to see warped scales in razors with no center pin. Not that it cant happen, but it does help.
I do not believe any razor I have with 3 pins is using the center for a rest. It does not make contact while closed giving belief that it is there for stability of the scale and not a stop. If the blade is bypassing that and requiring an alternative stop then your razor is falling apart!

Maybe this will help the neh sayers!

proxy.php

If this was to stop the blade from protruding it would have to be placed at the very top edge of the scale! It is perfectly centered.
I assure you, if this was used as a stop the blade would be a full 1/8 below the scale!
I honestly don't know where some information comes from. Someone says it so it must be true.
Common sense goes a long way here fellas.
I simply looked fancier, took longer to assemble and added extra parts. THIS is what makes it look more high end.

Top Bottom