What's new

Why is this so addictive?

Thanks everyone for the responses. It's great to be a new part of the community. Now I can stop boring the wife with shaving talk. She's started turning the tables on me talking about make-up and hair routines to teach me a lesson, and guess what it worked. No more shaving talk over breakfast.

It takes a chore, turns it into a hobby, and its so nice to be able to take the time just for yourself. A chance to get lost in the moment and just treat yourself.

I have been doing this for 2 weeks. I have $600 spent on stuff. 3 razors, 3 brushes, tons of assorted blades, tons of soaps and creams, a few A/S products, bought DEs as gifts for friends, and am loving it.

I hated shaving. I also hated facial hair. Every day was a judgement call as to which would be the better tradeoff in comfort. Now I just shave. Not great at it yet, but I'll get there (I hope).

I am going through more brushes and razors looking for the right stuff for me. Sticking with one razor now to learn technique, but trying new blades and different brushes and soaps along the way.

It's a throwback to a more traditional, old-school way of enjoying every moment of the day for what it is, and paying attention to ourselves in the process. I have slowly realized that newer and 'faster' isn't always better when it comes to 'technology', although the profit-mongering multinationals may lead one to think otherwise.
In terms of the addictive nature of RAD and its derivatives, at least it's a harmless pursuit in the big scheme of things unlike other pursuits one can become fond of. My SWMBO keeps frowning as UPS/FEDEX/USPS packages keep arriving at our house....and those are the ones that I haven't had a chance to intercept and whisk away before she's had a chance to notice!

In many ways we are all trying to chase the dragon here so to speak...trying to get that perfect BBS shave, and trying to find that perfect combination of tools and products to get you there.

I used an electric shaver for at least two decades as my face did not appreciate the multi-blade disposables of the day. I think I stumbled upon DE shaving 4 or so months ago and find myself enjoying shaving for once. I used to dread shaving but had to do it as more than two days of growth caused using an electric to be a chore with an occasional pulled hair or three.

OK so I have three brushes (all cheap) and since getting my first Edwin Jagger razor, I have followed it up with 5 or so birth year razors and a smattering of different blades and soaps. I like to keep different blades in a couple of the razors at time and see which one speaks to me that day..

Oh, and I made a homemade stand to store it all.

There are worse things to be addicted to have as a hobby...

It takes a chore, turns it into a hobby, and its so nice to be able to take the time just for yourself. A chance to get lost in the moment and just treat yourself.
Well put. Though it takes a while longer than carts, it's instant satisfaction. It's a skill and you can become better. Hardware is pretty neat, too.

I have caught the AD pretty bad myself...I've got 5 (technically 6) razors, but only use one of them (DE89), one cream tub, three full size soaps, three AS/balms, three brushes, and 20ish samples of various soaps and creams. Also a blade sampler. I have another soap and AS on the way (first RazoRock product!). Also, working on an Ever-Ready restore (knot ordered, brush cleaned) and have a set of T&H creams/AS balms/EdT's in the mail.

Holy crap.

Sudden realization of money spent...

:a47:

Shaving is something us men have to do anyways, why not get some enjoyment out of it? At first, I thought it was going to be a chore getting up 30 minutes earlier on a workday to do a DE shave, but I actually look forward to it.

It's also not that expensive, provided you can keep the various AD's under control (not easy). I've only got three pucks of cheap soap, one tube of cream, one brush, and three vintage razors. I'm only in this about $100 perhaps. I'll start expanding my horizons with different soaps, brushes, etc. at some point. For example, when I decide to make a big blade purchase, I'll probably throw in a couple of sticks of Arko, since its so cheap. I do stop in to the antique malls on a regular basis to see what sort of razors they have, but I limit myself to no more than $20. But I've been controlling myself pretty well.

It is an everyday luxury that we men can enjoy without feeling girly or stupid.

$pears-soap-ad-man-shaving-vintage-mirror-table-pic_110679499084.jpg

Hello. I'm Graybeard57, and I'm a Shaveaholic. Believe it or not, I once hated shaving and looked for any excuse not to. Then my life changed when I was led, like a lamb to slaughter, to wetshaving. It started out slowly: one DE89, two Col Conk soaps, a badger best brush. I quickly found myself craving my shave time. Sensing trouble, I bought a smallish shave kit with my first *** order of unneeded MB soap. Thought the size would force me to limit my soap purchases, and the small pocket where I keep the razor and blades would help, too. Well, you know how it is...had to get a leather DE razor case, and it's pretty easy to slip another couple of razor packs in the pocket, you know? I quickly lost control, and now have my shave kit filled with 8 soap containers (afraid I'll bust the zipper if I close it up), and five more soap pucks outside of the kit. The second Col Conk sits unused on the shelf. The RR alum stick sits atop the pile, I tried to hide it from SWMBO, but couldn't. I was browsing 100 count packs of blades just yesterday. I'm expecting more soap in the mail any day now, from Mike's. QCS samples arrived this past Monday. I'm on a first name basis w/Sue from MB. Well, we all probably are; only my delusional, addictive brain thinks I'm special. Oh, just ordered a Weber bulldog handle for my one and only razor. The badger brush sits ignored, supplanted by my nicely broken in Omega 49 boar. I joined B&B, which is both helpful and terrifying. It helps to know that I'm not as bad as some of you out there, but terrifying to think I might succumb to the siren's song of "just one more" (razor, AS, soap, brush, new blade pack...). Lately I've been wondering if I could shave TWICE a day...

If there's one positive side to being a Shaveaholic, it's that we are well-groomed, cleanshaven, and smell nice. Can't say that about other addictions.

Please, I need help.:a36:

Hello. I'm Graybeard57, and I'm a Shaveaholic. Believe it or not, I once hated shaving and looked for any excuse not to. Then my life changed when I was led, like a lamb to slaughter, to wetshaving. It started out slowly: one DE89, two Col Conk soaps, a badger best brush. I quickly found myself craving my shave time. Sensing trouble, I bought a smallish shave kit with my first *** order of unneeded MB soap. Thought the size would force me to limit my soap purchases, and the small pocket where I keep the razor and blades would help, too. Well, you know how it is...had to get a leather DE razor case, and it's pretty easy to slip another couple of razor packs in the pocket, you know? I quickly lost control, and now have my shave kit filled with 8 soap containers (afraid I'll bust the zipper if I close it up), and five more soap pucks outside of the kit. The second Col Conk sits unused on the shelf. The RR alum stick sits atop the pile, I tried to hide it from SWMBO, but couldn't. I was browsing 100 count packs of blades just yesterday. I'm expecting more soap in the mail any day now, from Mike's. QCS samples arrived this past Monday. I'm on a first name basis w/Sue from MB. Well, we all probably are; only my delusional, addictive brain thinks I'm special. Oh, just ordered a Weber bulldog handle for my one and only razor. The badger brush sits ignored, supplanted by my nicely broken in Omega 49 boar. I joined B&B, which is both helpful and terrifying. It helps to know that I'm not as bad as some of you out there, but terrifying to think I might succumb to the siren's song of "just one more" (razor, AS, soap, brush, new blade pack...). Lately I've been wondering if I could shave TWICE a day...

If there's one positive side to being a Shaveaholic, it's that we are well-groomed, cleanshaven, and smell nice. Can't say that about other addictions.

Please, I need help.:a36:

Welcome friend.
Take solace in the fact that although time-consuming, somewhat costly, and habit-forming...this form of addiction will not harm us physically, unless of course as newbies we do something foolish like attempt to shave in the dark, upside down, with a straight razor! SWMBO may choose to disagree at times.

...I don't get those that buy a ton of different DE shavers for one does all the work that I need done.

Some just like to collect old things and think about the days when we actually made quality products in this country on a regular basis. When I joined over a year ago I had the addiction bad but then dropped out of the B&B scene for whatever reason (I really don't know why). My son got a lot of the stuff. I got back into this a month or two ago and have been bitten by the bug again. This and guns are my only vice and I rarely buy those anymore. I used to be into muscle cars (get your checkbook out). I also used to be into dirt bikes (get that checkbook out again). This is the cheapest hobby I've been in. It also gives me something to do to relax. Having said that...when I was using one of the new razors I would get a decent shave (not BBS) for about 4 days on a cartridge. The cartridges were too expensive so I looked elsewhere and found this place. At the cost of the cartridges I think I'll be OK on the money part and if not, all hobbies cost money.

Steve

I take a more Freudian approach to these addictions. All of us BBers are here to discuss a series of acts that have a sensual aspect to it. Warm, moist, slippery surfaces being slightly abraded thereby bringing immense pleasure. Could this be a covert form of sex addiction? We often complain that the "shave" ends too quickly. Some like the act to be quite aggressive. Some may even have a cigarette after shaving. Others may toss a blade after one use, reminiscent of a one-night stand. When was the last time you looked at your razor and uttered "sorry, I have a headache?" Probably NEVER! Think of the names that razors, or parts thereof are given. The Bulldog; the barber pole; the ball end; the fatboy; the fatip...who are we kidding? I know you get the point.

So, when you view shaving in this context, I think one can explain certain ADs in two words - razor envy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom