What's new

Why does Cella go bad?

I'm very curious about why some soaps like Cella go bad while some others don't, like Tabac or Soap Commander, for example. Cella is the most intriguing to me because of the simple ingredient list. It does not appear to be super-fatted. Are the fats not fully saponified?

Cocos Nucifera Oil
Tallow
Stearic Acid
Potassium Hydroxide
Sodium Hydroxide
Aqua
Potassium Carbonate
Parfum

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
I‘m no expert, but maybe you aren’t using them fast enough? :laugh:

Sorry, I really can’t help. But I now there are a lot of experts here and hopefully one of them chimes in to give you the answers you are looking for.

In my experience it’s the soft soaps and creams that have the highest chance of going “bad”. Which, might not necessarily be BAD, but rather a separation of ingredients and oils. Unless it smells rancid you can likely just stir them up and use them.

I have some vintage hard soaps, like Williams and AOS that are over 20 years old (Williams) and are fine to use.

I find that most soft soaps when they are stored wet will become somewhat rancid. I have the Kilo of Cella and take a small chunk as needed. I have never had Cella go bad. I store the block of Cella that is over 10 years old and is in a vacuum sealed bag. I take a slice as needed and then seal it again. I have never had a problem with Cella going bad.

I don't think it goes bad. It does get very hard but it is still usable. What makes you think it's gone bad?

I had a tub that arrived rancid from Amazon six or seven years ago. Suspect it was stored poorly, perhaps a really hot or humid environment for a long time.

What do you mean by rancid? Looks? Smell?

Darker in color and not consistent color. Smelled more like a dead thing than the usual Cella candy cherry almond scent. It shaved okay, but smelled awful. I have had other Cella tubs and blocks of hard and soft P160 that were just fine sitting for years in my back stock.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The unsaponified almond oil (or perhaps tallow) in it goes rancid. I keep my brick in the fridge and so far so good, it’s still snow white after several years. If i cut a chunk off and store it at room temperature, it will be brown and smell stale in a couple of months. 3P is just as good or better and resists turning much better.

The unsaponified almond oil (or perhaps tallow) in it goes rancid. I keep my brick in the fridge and so far so good, it’s still snow white after several years. If i cut a chunk off and store it at room temperature, it will be brown and smell stale in a couple of months. 3P is just as good or better and resists turning much better.

What's 3P?

What's 3P?

It's shaving soap
proxy.php

proxy.php

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Might as well get the brick from Connaught, the tub from IB was ~$16 plus shipping, the brick from Connaught was $26 shipped. It’s 1000ml of soap.

Top Bottom