What's new

Why do YOU use a fountain pen?

I never leave home without a good pen, a good watch, and a pocket knife.

And because these are modern times, I also take my cell phone and credit card with me :wink2:

I never leave home without a good pen, a good watch, and a pocket knife.

And because these are modern times, I also take my cell phone and credit card with me :wink2:

Same here. Although, I sometimes forget the phone. I generally make sure I have something to write on, like a small notebook.

For me, fountain pens make writing more fun. I can choose my ink color, they write smoothly, they all have different writing characteristics (endless variety), and they're not disposable. I dislike anything disposable or of low quality. The nerd in me also likes that they work by capillary action.

There's also a sense of occasion that I get when I uncap a fountain pen, even if I'm just jotting a quick note.

-Andy

Last edited:
for me .. mostly because its so easy to write compared to a ball-point .. don't need to press at all :) I used to always have a callus on my middle finger when the pen rests from to much pressure while writing.

This is totally the reason that I started using a fountain pen.

That and it was cool putting in a new cartridge like it was a single bullet going into a sniper's rifle...

I use them for the same reason as many, no pressure required. Really helpful for long note taking sessions. I also think that they possess a certain charm.

Also, I like to watch the expressions on people's faces when they ask to borrow my pen and I hand them an FP.

So many times I'll hand it to them and they have to ask me what direction to face the nib. I have a laugh (in my head) and then show them how to use it. They may never use one ever again but who knows, maybe I've converted a couple people!

I once lent a Sheaffer Balance to an American guy, who yanked the cap off and ruined the threads :sad:

So I would never lend a valuable pen to a non-FP user, especially not to someone who grew up in a ballpoint culture (most kids here at least use a fountain pen in primary school).

First of all. . . writing with a FP is just cool and bad azz. Ball point pens are like shaving with a cartridge razor and fountain pens are like shaving with a DE or SE razor.

WARHAWK

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
for me .. mostly because its so easy to write compared to a ball-point .. don't need to press at all :) I used to always have a callus on my middle finger when the pen rests from to much pressure while writing.
Same here- must be because of less pressure.

Because they don't even demand their students learn handwriting at all, canada is the same. The fountain pen isn't a requirment and hasn't been since ball points became common place and cheap

Why don't USA primary school teachers demand that their pupils learn handwriting with a fountain pen?

So that we all learn how to rip the caps off pens properly!

I'm kidding, of course. It's probably because kids with fountain pens have the potential to create a mess. They probably also can't justify buying a child a $5 or $10 pen that they'll likely lose or break. Some parents don't want to spend that sort of money on a pen for their child. I'm sure there are many more reasons, but those sprang to mind quickly.

-Andy

Because then they would have to purchase the pens for their pupils with their own money.

Why? Don't the parents have to pay a yearly contribution for their kids?
I'm kidding, of course. It's probably because kids with fountain pens have the potential to create a mess. They probably also can't justify buying a child a $5 or $10 pen that they'll likely lose or break.
So you think American kids are very different from German or Dutch kids?
wink.gif

If it works here, I don't see why it should not work over there (I think that at least on UK private schools, fountain pens are mandatory as well?). Maybe the problem is that teachers don't know about the fountain pen option themselves?

Last edited:
It is very common for public school teachers to purchase supplies for their classrooms. Fountain pens would not likely be provided by the schools and I would be very surprised to learn of required additional funding, beyond tax dollars, for such supplies from parents.

Why? Don't the parents have to pay a yearly contribution for their kids?

Top Bottom