What's new

Why did Thayers discontinue Superhazel?

This is my absolute all time favorite aftershave. I don't get it. They were charging more for this obviously superior product and people like me were happily paying the premium. Can anyone make some sense of this so I can sleep better at night? Thanks in advance...

I tried calling but some small stores that still had stock. ALL closed due to Covid. The only one that let me buy online had a broken payment system. I'm heartbroken.

Thayers can keep it, all their products have so much glycerin that my skin looks like I slathered it in mayo for hours after. Even my wife can't stand their stuff and she is a a classic over-moisturizer.

I use this instead:

It's available locally at Walmart and CVS and it averages around $7 a bottle. It has camphor, menthol, and eucalyptus, with a very light scent that is gone in minutes (less staying power then lucky tiger even), and has no glycerin, pg, castor oil, etc. If you miss the aloe just plop a dollop in the bottle and shake it around. They also make a rosewater version that is great.

I love this stuff so much that I keep a small spray bottle in my car to combat hot Florida summers while I'm driving around on my sales route for work.

Thayers can keep it, all their products have so much glycerin that my skin looks like I slathered it in mayo for hours after. Even my wife can't stand their stuff and she is a a classic over-moisturizer.

I use this instead:

It's available locally at Walmart and CVS and it averages around $7 a bottle. It has camphor, menthol, and eucalyptus, with a very light scent that is gone in minutes (less staying power then lucky tiger even), and has no glycerin, pg, castor oil, etc. If you miss the aloe just plop a dollop in the bottle and shake it around. They also make a rosewater version that is great.

I love this stuff so much that I keep a small spray bottle in my car to combat hot Florida summers while I'm driving around on my sales route for work.
Thanks Sly!

Thanks Sly!

Absolutely, hope it works out for you! I can tell you right off the bat that the scent isn't as medicinal as the Thayer's and it won't be as moisturizing (good or a bad depending on your expectations and skin type) but it's still a quality product. Even if you still prefer the Thayer's this one should do and it's a few dollars cheaper. If you try to buy it locally keep in mind both Walmart and CVS keep these bottles with their skin care/face wash products, not in the first aid area with regular witch hazel. It's with all the acne wash and make up remover products. CVS frequently runs deals on these like BOGO or 2 for $10.

In the last decade alone Thayer's has 'discontinued' the medicated superhazel several times only to be re-released a few months later with a different name and/or label and/or ingredient base but it's always essentially the same product for conversation sake.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've used Superhazel for a long time. I bought four bottles 5 years ago and I'm just about finished with the last one. I was surprised last week when I looked online and couldn't find it. Looks like no one else offers a witch hazel with camphor and aloe, either. Last night my wife noticed that the sell by(?) expiration(?) use by(?) date on the bottle I'm using was March of 2018!

I use this instead:

Haha agreed. Thank you for sharing Dickinson's, I will pick some up and give it a try.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

I use this instead:

+1. The stuff is too sticky. What I have left, I'm going to use in aftershave blends.

AA

Absolutely, hope it works out for you! I can tell you right off the bat that the scent isn't as medicinal as the Thayer's and it won't be as moisturizing (good or a bad depending on your expectations and skin type) but it's still a quality product. Even if you still prefer the Thayer's this one should do and it's a few dollars cheaper. If you try to buy it locally keep in mind both Walmart and CVS keep these bottles with their skin care/face wash products, not in the first aid area with regular witch hazel. It's with all the acne wash and make up remover products. CVS frequently runs deals on these like BOGO or 2 for $10.

In the last decade alone Thayer's has 'discontinued' the medicated superhazel several times only to be re-released a few months later with a different name and/or label and/or ingredient base but it's always essentially the same product for conversation sake.
Damn. The makeup aisle... :)

Top Bottom