What's new

Why are half hollows so unpopular?

I have two half hollows that I am just loving: 1) a 6/8 inch TI Special Coiffeur, and 2) a 5/8 inch J.A. Henckels 42. And I can only find about a handful of new half hollows: 5/8 inch Dovos, and 5/8 and 6/8 inch TIs. I should add that I have read that many Japanese razors have heavier grinds.

Why are full hollows and near wedges to popular, and half hollows so unpopular - or am I missing something?

I would guess because they are the "inbetweeners", neither wedge, nor full hollow. Personal preferences, I would think, lean towards one or the other.

Wedges are popular with vintage razors, heavy beards, and I would guess they were made that way many years ago because the quality of steel available could not support very thin grinds, or maybe it was because of the available grinding equipment.

I prefer very thin grinds, thinner than TI full hollow grinds. Personal preference, but for me the very thin grinds like Fili 14's and some Solingen blades are a much smoother shave, easier to get a good edge and maintain it.

Some say the very thin grinds deflect enough to match the contours of your face. I don't agree with that. It will take a lot of pressure to make them deflect, much more than what I use.

The only heavy grind I have is a Rigarazor, and it's fine for a now and again adrenaline rush, but for comfort and effortless shaving - give me a Fili 14 any day.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Maybe its a "western" thing. Most SR's sold in Asia are half to half+ hollows. Very rare to find a new full hollow or near wedge offered for sale in Asia.

I personally prefer a half to half+ hollow but that may be because that is what I am use to. I have tried a few full hollows and near wedges (European) and was not overly impressed so I went back to my half hollows.

I was wondering about this myself. My TI is a half hollow and I really like how it shaves. I don't think I'll really experiment too heavily with blade sizes, but I can see myself choosing razors based on trying out different grinds. I was looking at Ralf Aust razors but couldn't find any variations on grinds, which was disappointing. Would like to try a 1/4 hollow at some point.

1/2 hollow: Good shaves and easier honing IMHO. I think half and quarter hollows would make good starter razors for those who intend to learn to maintain their own edges.

I like my heavier grinds, both vintage and modern. They are neither scary nor hard to use for me, but YMMV is especially true for SRs, I think.

I have two TIs 11/16" that are not full hollows, I think they are described as hollow ground. When I use them there is zero noise I associate with a full hollow. I had to take a double take after the first shave, "Why's the razor so quiet, is it a wedge!?" I love them, the grind is different to the run of the mill full hollow.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I don’t think that 1/2 hollows are unpopular. Many, if not most Japanese razors are half hollow, though they made both heavier and more hollow (razors). Also in past times, the English described many razors as ‘full hollow ground’ that were not, they were more like half hollow.

I don’t think that 1/2 hollows are unpopular. Many, if not most Japanese razors are half hollow, though they made both heavier and more hollow (razors). Also in past times, the English described many razors as ‘full hollow ground’ that were not, they were more like half hollow.

I was actually curious about the old English razors - if the definition of hollow has changed over time as tools and peoples's tastes have changed.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
In the case of the old English raxors, I always thought of it as just marketing. If the blade has ‘Extra Hollow’ or something like that, it was advertising. That’s what blade etches are many times.

Most Filarmonica 14s are actually about half hollow, but when you have a 15/16 half hollow blade, you also have about 5/8” of very thin steel that sings and otherwise acts like narrower blades of more hollow grinds. IOW, the blade width makes a difference in what the grind acts like.

Unpopular? I don't know how many I've got, but they are all fine razors just not very common, but uncommon and unpopular isn't the same thing.
20200628_211504.jpg

I think many have a different idea of what half hollow is.
As Steve says most Fili's are half hollow IMO. A full hollow has a belly in the grind where it thickens before getting to the edge.
If the steel is straight after the initial hollowing - even if it is long, but parallel to the bevel, it is half hollow.
So, I have quite a few half hollows and think they are about the best grind there is.
I also like full hollows with a belly that are a heavier pattern than normal - like the Grelot's. Much thicker than a typical full hollow with belly but the belly is there.
Great shavers.

I think many have a different idea of what half hollow is.
As Steve says most Fili's are half hollow IMO. A full hollow has a belly in the grind where it thickens before getting to the edge.
If the steel is straight after the initial hollowing - even if it is long, but parallel to the bevel, it is half hollow.
So, I have quite a few half hollows and think they are about the best grind there is.
I also like full hollows with a belly that are a heavier pattern than normal - like the Grelot's. Much thicker than a typical full hollow with belly but the belly is there.
Great shavers.

Is that the definition of a half hollow? I guess I had been assuming that the “hollowness” of a blade was defined by how far from the edge the blade reached its thinnest point. I’ve seen images portraying different edges, but never a detailed explanation of what the definition of each type is.

I use a Barbering textbook from 1950 for Terms and procedures. Its what Berbers used for school.
A full hollow shows a belly in the blade.
A half hollow can be just as hollow but no belly. Typically about the same depth of concaveness although sometimes not as deep.
The belly seemed to define a full hollow.
There the tons of grinds but to me, if there is no belly, it is half hollow.

proxy.php

Looking at the drawings above. Notice that at mid span the hollow has removed approximately ½ of the thickness in the ½ hollow, and ¼ of the thickness in the ¼ hollow when compared to the wedge . This is my mathematical definition of the simple grinds. I define a simple grind as one with a constant radius.

Once you go beyond constant radius grinds with belies or full hollows, the near infinite possibilities in the grind makes simple and firm mathematical descriptions difficult.

Also notice that what is labeled as full concave, could not even be honed as drawn. Many of these types of drawings are very general in nature.

Well, they are certainly not to scale.
It is a basic view to give description.
The half hollow has a longer "needle" but there is no belly. On a larger 7/8 it is quite long but still half hollow in my opinion.

Top Bottom