What's new

WHY a STRAIGHT razor?

After watching my fair share of shaving videos on-line, I still have to ask, WHY would anyone use a STRAIGHT razor in this day and age?

I’ll admit, it does look COOL, but damn, as someone who’s a DE user, I also see the downsides.

One major one for me - I sometimes like to shave in the NUDE. I know that even with a safety (DE) razor, I still face the risk of a substantial nick/cut should it slip from my hand.

But, with a STRAIGHT razor, I just keep imagining that with just ONE potential slip-up, it's an instant “sex change” down there (in the LONG history of straight razor shaving, it MUST have already happened to someone, no? 😧).

Besides, you gotta get a strop, a strop handle, a sharpening stone, blade oil, etc., plus, there’s a long learning curve if you’re gonna get any good at wielding that thing.

Just trying to understand what the appeal is, from the other side, RESPECTFULLY. 🤓 🙏🏼

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Don't be worried about nude SR shaving. They can do marvelous things with microsurgery now.

As for everything else, it is all enjoyment. Most SR shavers find that SR shaving gives them the closest and most comfortable shave they have ever experienced, all without any skin irritation.

The learning curve is longer than DE shaving but, once mastered, is a great feeling of satisfaction. The amount of gear you need varies depending upon your personal preference. Some just need a strop and send their SR's out to be honed. Others self-hone with cheap and easy to use lapping film while others go the full hog with an extensive collection of whetstones.

If cost needs to be considered, a decent SR can be had for USD 50 to USD 100 and for a strop USD 50. For honing, using lapping film will set you back about USD 50 or less. If you want to go down the whetston rabbit hole, there is no upper limit.

And the final reason - chicks dig scares.

Last edited:
After watching my fair share of shaving videos on-line, I still have to ask, WHY would anyone use a STRAIGHT razor in this day and age?

I’ll admit, it does look COOL, but damn, as someone who’s a DE user, I also see the downsides.

One major one for me - I sometimes like to shave in the NUDE. I know that even with a safety (DE) razor, I still face the risk of a substantial nick/cut should it slip from my hand.

But, with a STRAIGHT razor, I just keep imagining that with just ONE potential slip-up, it's an instant “sex change” down there (in the LONG history of straight razor shaving, it MUST have already happened to someone, no? 😧).

Besides, you gotta get a strop, a strop handle, a sharpening stone, blade oil, etc., plus, there’s a long learning curve if you’re gonna get any good at wielding that thing.

Just trying to understand what the appeal is, from the other side, RESPECTFULLY. 🤓 🙏🏼
Well you admit that it does look cool and doesn’t it ?
Some straight razors are works of art themselves. There is a history factor that appeals to some. Imagine if some of the straights being used could talk about all the faces they’ve been on since the 1800’s.
Then there is the end result of the finished of shave with a properly honed blade compared to a machine produced blade. The straight should be more comfortable if honed properly and the user is proficient in using it.
You do need a strop but you could send the razor out to be honed,therefore you absolutely don’t need a stone.
Granted it’s not for everyone but I think most of us who learn to use a straight prefer it.
No way should you shave naked anyway!!!!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Upsides

1. You’ll lose a lot of words from your vocabulary, like ‘razor burn’, ‘weeper’, ‘bad shave’, ‘resting my face for a day or two’, and more! ‘Cushion’ and ‘glide’ have no meaning with a SR.

2. You won’t need mentholated products, though you may prefer to use them.

3. Once you have a razor, strop, and a touch up hone/film/paste, you won’t need anything else but consumables like soap and AS.

4. I think that the shaves are better, but it will take you a while to get there.

Downsides

1. There is a learning curve for shaving, stropping, and honing.

2. The initial investment is about $300 - 350 for a decent new razor, strop, and something like a Naniwa 12k hone. But you won’t need anything else for a long, long, time unless you just want something else. Get a cheap strop to begin with, many people nick their first one up a bit while learning to strop.

3. Post shave maintenance takes a little longer, cleaning and stropping the razor.

I sharpen all of my cutting tools, saws, scissors, drill bits, knives, etc.

It always bothered me that I was using razors that were impractical to sharpen. When I started thinking about straight razors, the idea of a single blade that could be sharpened indefinitely appealed to me.

I enjoy things that can be seen as odd and unnecessary.

I just enjoy the process more. It's a fun challenge.

I also find satisfaction in maintaining a good edge. Just this morning for fun I reset the bevel on my backup razor and went through my stone progression and had a good shave, but the edge could have been a little better. This evening I went back to the stones, refined the edge some more, and looking forward to my shave tomorrow morning to test the edge.

Plus with DE I can only shave 5-6 days a week because of neck irritation. I can use a straight razor everyday and I don't have to deal with those trouble spots on my neck. With a good edge and good technique it's amazing how good the shaves are. No cuts/irritation/zero aftershave burn. I've never been able to pull that off with DE. Ever.

I did DEs, moved to SEs, then Lather Catchers, and Rolls Razors and I’m dangling my feet over the Straight Razor Rabbit Hole, so for me I guess it’s a natural devolution as I’m progressing down the razor evolutionary ladder. I like a challenge, and because they are there.
If you like a challenge, IMHO you’ll love trying to master the art of shaving with a straight razor.

I think it just becomes a natural evolution for many. You don't even have to give up DE blades if you don't want to since there are shavettes that hold half DE blades or others like Feather Artist Clubs that use larger blades. A lot of people, like me, try shavettes first and then gravitate to true SRs, and some just stick with shavettes because they are more convenient.

Even though I'm just starting I can already see that it's easier to get a really close shave with less irritation than with a DE razor. I've had some truly remarkable shaves without even trying hard so I think it's worth the effort.

All of these are great answers and I agree with everything that has been said.

Here's my two cents. I enjoy going through a ritual that focuses on me, my skills, and the satisfaction that the end result is for me and only me. It's a shave that makes me feel like a million bucks and nobody has to know.

Oh, I still use my DE razors. I enjoy them immensely, but the SR is in its own class.

There's also the history. I went down the self-honing rabbit hole. I purchased a batch of blades off of EBay a few years ago. One was coal black. I did the sanding, the honing, even made some scales for it out of grenadilla wood. Come to find out this blade was a George Wostenholm "Pipe Razor." More than likely the blade was made in the 19th century. Every time I pick it up and wonder what the stories it might tell if it could talk. It's just very cool.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If a person is interested in trying a straight razor I went the route of a AC shavette. The reason after some limited research into what is all involved and came to the conclusion a Proguard or Protouch blade was the way to go for myself.
I bought a Kai style Shavette(clone) and some Kai Protouch MG blades and really did not have a problem. I started with a naked edge AC blade and that gave me a nicked face because they sent the wrong blades, a straight razor is a little forgiving depending on honing skills. A shavette is harder to learn some folks claim because of blade sharpness but a guarded blade made the experience of folding shavette a very enjoyable experience for me anyways.
Guarded blades are used in a lot of barber shops and are top of the line for Kai and Feather (they will bite but are really a smooth blade IMO).
Kai Luffy style folding shavette- Mfg- 2017--.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Okay, I used DEs and cartridges all my life. I would get cuts, nicks, weepers and irritation. And it was a ***** when I ran out of blades. I have been straight shaving for about 8 months: no nicks, no cuts, no irritation and one tiny weeper on a face bump when my razor was a tad less than shave ready. I really do not care about the cool factor. @RicoSuave you will need to learn and experience it in order to understand.

twocents.jpg

Initially, I was just interested to try it. Now, after about 3 months, I found out that it's less irritating
then SE. Even after multiple passes. For now, it'smay be 5% less close, but it lasts comfortably for 24-36 hours. May be because SR, at least mine, is a little led sharp then Feather AC I used before, and/or bevel is different.

I tried a shavette once, thinking it was the easy path to SR shaving. I think it was a Dovo, but I can't check, because I tossed it in anger. It tore up my face like nothing before or since. Decided to go straight to a straight instead. It was a long learning curve, but at no point was it as difficult as getting that shavette to not destroy my face.

A SR shave feels like pure luxury to me. Partly the luxury of time: an unhurried, careful, considered shave. Partly the luxury of beautiful instruments with sharp handmade edges. Partly the luxury of the scents and sensations of brushes, soaps, splashes and balms. And partly the luxury of very comfortable shaves, where any irritation is purely self-inflicted.

Don't be worried about nude SR shaving. They can do marvelous things with microsurgery now.

As for everything else, it is all enjoyment. Most SR shavers find that SR shaving gives them the closest and most comfortable shave they have ever experienced, all without any skin irritation.

The learning curve is longer than DE shaving but, once mastered, is a great feeling of satisfaction. The amount of gear you need varies depending upon your personal preference. Some just need a strop and send their SR's out to be honed. Others self-hone with cheap and easy to use lapping film while others go the full hog with an extensive collection of whetstones.

If cost needs to be considered, a decent SR can be had for USD 50 to USD 100 and for a strop USD 50. For honing, using lapping film will set you back about USD 50 or less. If you want to go down the whetston rabbit hole, there is no upper limit.

And the final reason - chicks dig scares.
”Don't be worried about nude SR shaving. They can do marvelous things with microsurgery now.”

😳😆😂🤣🥲

Thanks for the chuckles, bro (if you only knew!). 😆

Seriously, thanks for the considerate response, friend. 🙏🏼

“Lapping film?!” 😳

Jesus, there’s something else?

One thing I will say for my “SR” using brothers, I can sense the INEVITABLE “zen” like calm that comes across once you are fully engaged in the “process.” 🙏🏼😔

Top Bottom