What's new

Why a razor costs that much, an example

Very true. Hence my comment. I cringed enough when I shelled out $200 for my Timeless, I dont know how I would ever talk myself into thinking that $500 for a Wolfman is somehow worth it.
There actually was a recent episode of a shaving podcast that I listen to who talked about just this. It was the Sharpologist podcast. Anyways, the host talked about how a small handful of wet shavers who have an almost unlimited budget and will shell out too much money for certain products have driven up the cost of things such as Wolfman razors and that some of those have either fell out of the hobby or simply arent buying like they used to and the market is starting to come back to reality, so to speak.
Personally, I wont spend $25+ for a soap, more than $100 for a brush or $300+ for a razor but some will and more power to 'em.
That's really interesting. If you have a link to that podcast, please let me know.

I like the CGL3 more than the Wolfman WR1 .94 (though it's very close). For me, it was a no-brainer to buy the Charcoal Goods, particularly since a friend in this community cut me in on his spot on the waiting list. If the opportunity came along to obtain a Wolfman, not sure what I would do.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think many are confusing a "high polish" with artisanship when most likely the high end "boutique" razor makers merely toss the parts into a tumbler with ceramic media and a few hours later "Voila!!" I think many envision some old bespectacled artisan slaving over the razor with crocus cloth on a bench for days polishing. :rolleyes: It ain't so.

It seems you've missed a few posts on pages 4 and 5.

You have to do it by hand. Tumbling and/or electropolishing are not effective enough for raw machined parts and they are indiscriminate so you can get rounding and geometry changes. I’ve tested these processes a lot and we can’t get remotely close to the finish needed. You’re right about the size of the pieces. It presents a challenge just to hold the things so fixturing is made to be able to work the piece evenly. The whole thing is a royal pain.

Last I checked he does it by hand. And he’s a master at it.

Also, the shave itself has nothing to do with the finish of a razor based on my experience. This is not a "which one shaves better" thread. It's about the quality of the razor regarding the material and the looks. For that reason alone, the price difference is totally justified.
That is a perfectly reasonable comment. Essentially this same comment has been made here many times, and that's OK, too. For me, what matters is how I look and feel when the shave is done. I've suffered from various skin problems since my teens (decades ago) and the main point of this hobby for me is improving my skin. However, I also appreciate the art of industrial design, as do many modern art museum curators. Rockwell did a superb job with the 6S from a functionality standpoint, but alas, imo fell short in the art category. Where inexpensive but elegant simplicity might have ruled the day, they chose the aesthetic of a World War II battleship, even down to the industrial gray color. The Wolfman's maker goes the extra mile with aesthetics, no question.

Top Bottom