What's new

Who's tried the Mergress?

I have to admit I'm a Merker Progress addict, so when you tell me I can have a Progress that has had its plastic TTO knob replaced with a machined stainless version that is zeroed on the money...I'm all in!

proxy.php

I have two Mergress razors and love them both. The metal knob, IMHO, improves the balance as well as appearance.

I just purchased a Merkur Progress and finished shaving with it for one week. A most impressive razor, though I can't say it is better than my Fat Boy, Slim, Super Adjustable, and Apollo Mikron. I confess I've never met an adjustable razor I didn't LOVE.

I think the yellow plastic knob is fine, and to me it looks better than a custom chromed knob. Beauty resides in the eye of each beholder, I guess.

I own both short and long versions of the Mergress modified Progress razors and love the way they shave. Set to 2.5 it couldn't get any better!

I like the Progress a lot,!! One of the best shavers I've got. I am in the camp of santamariasteve though as far as the knob goes. I kind of like it, got sort of an art deco look about it. And I can't imagine the extra weight of the metal knob adding anything in my case.

To all the recent buyers of the Progress... Have any of you had any problems with unequal blade exposure from one side to the other? I purchased (and returned) two Parker Variants that had this issue, and I remember reading that Merkur also had this problem at one time. Thanks in advance!

@ Cito, to address your question. I have both Variant and Progress. Not the newest mold of it, but I have never seen a need to return either of these for blade exposure issues.

@ Cito, to address your question. I have both Variant and Progress. Not the newest mold of it, but I have never seen a need to return either of these for blade exposure issues.
I appreciate the response, thanks. Both of the Variants were afflicted - at least a "one number" difference from side a to side b. Maybe I'm being petty, but I don't think a $60 razor should do this...

I appreciate the response, thanks. Both of the Variants were afflicted - at least a "one number" difference from side a to side b. Maybe I'm being petty, but I don't think a $60 razor should do this...
No,not at all! If you were not happy, it is your right as a customer.

To all the recent buyers of the Progress... Have any of you had any problems with unequal blade exposure from one side to the other? I purchased (and returned) two Parker Variants that had this issue, and I remember reading that Merkur also had this problem at one time. Thanks in advance!
I haven't noticed anything out of whack. I just loaded a used blade in my empty Progress and the alignment appears to be spot on! And with the head fully tightened down with a blade installed the reading is at 1.

Last edited:
I like the Progress a lot,!! One of the best shavers I've got. I am in the camp of santamariasteve though as far as the knob goes. I kind of like it, got sort of an art deco look about it. And I can't imagine the extra weight of the metal knob adding anything in my case.
Yes! An art deco look. Good description.

Let's just say that it is the ONLY zamac in my collection. If it was knurled and brass it would get a lot more love.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yes. had this issue but easily fixed it. The uneven blade gap is a result 1) the center plate not being seated correctly or 2) the spring not being properly installed. You can't do anything about the latter but the center plate can easily be popped out (it's a press fit) and reseated. When I flipped the center plate 180 degrees it fixed the issue.

Just don't mention it to Parker. While they are quick to replace, they get very touchy when it comes to dissassembly. Press fit and threaded parts shouldn't be a big deal.

Let's just say that it is the ONLY zamac in my collection. If it was knurled and brass it would get a lot more love.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

+1

Though I do have the Futur knockoff also, the Progress is what I've been reaching for the past month and more. I have a 7o'clock Super Stainless loaded up that just hit 31 two pass + touch up shaves yesterday morning.

I haven't loaded a blade in this Mergress yet but in the several Progress razors I own that were purchased in the past several years there is no discernible difference in blade exposure from side to side.

I just purchased a Merkur Progress and finished shaving with it for one week. A most impressive razor, though I can't say it is better than my Fat Boy, Slim, Super Adjustable, and Apollo Mikron. I confess I've never met an adjustable razor I didn't LOVE.

I think the yellow plastic knob is fine, and to me it looks better than a custom chromed knob. Beauty resides in the eye of each beholder, I guess.

I also think the standard plastic TTO knob is fine. But...I wanted to have at least one example of the Mergress and thanks to Bull Goose Shaving, they are at this time readily available.

Now if we can just get Parker to produce a variation of the Variant (see what I did there :)) that incorporates the ~3" handle!

I love my Progress, too, Lane. I've been somewhat addicted to my "new" Slim Adjustable lately, but I'm going to have to take that Progress out for a spin.

Top Bottom