What's new

Who's tried the Mergress?

To all the recent buyers of the Progress... Have any of you had any problems with unequal blade exposure from one side to the other? I purchased (and returned) two Parker Variants that had this issue, and I remember reading that Merkur also had this problem at one time. Thanks in advance!

Merkur re-designed the Progress molds in mid-2016. I bought one in February 2017 and have not had any alignment issues. The shavers from the new molds are easily identified by the smaller 'same-side' alignment triangle and line.

It's my favorite shaver. Love the ivory-colored knob as-well.

Last edited:
I shaved with a Progress for many years and always received a close and comfortable shave. Sent it up to Eric and he transitioned it to a Mergress XL. Loved the extra length and weight.

Bought a few of the finished Mergress XL's to give as gifts and kept another for myself. Sent the original one back to Eric for a well needed 'tune up' that he adjusted, due to wear, the settings are now much better than originally.

I haven't noticed any blade gap differential with any of the razors. I shave very closely and comfortably at setting #1.5

Mergress... Very Highly Recommended.

I shaved with a Progress for many years and always received a close and comfortable shave. Sent it up to Eric and he transitioned it to a Mergress XL. Loved the extra length and weight.

Bought a few of the finished Mergress XL's to give as gifts and kept another for myself. Sent the original one back to Eric for a well needed 'tune up' that he adjusted, due to wear, the settings are now much better than originally.

I haven't noticed any blade gap differential with any of the razors. I shave very closely and comfortably at setting #1.5

Mergress... Very Highly Recommended.

+1

Outstanding razors. Between the Progress, the Mergress and my Variant it's going to be tough to squeeze any other razors into the rotation for the foreseeable future...the shaves are too darn good!

Merkur re-designed the Progress molds in mid-2016. I bought one in February 2017 and have not had any alignment issues. The shavers from the new molds are easily identified by the smaller 'same-side' alignment triangle and line.

Thanks for the insight on the redesign... Based on your endorsement (and others) , I pulled the trigger and ordered and received a long handled Progress from Amazon. Wow! Blade gaps are spot on and the razor is flawless - Great shave first time out of the box with an Astra SP and Body Shop Maca Root with the razor set on 4. Looking forward to many years of enjoyment with this razor!

Thanks for the insight on the redesign... Based on your endorsement (and others) , I pulled the trigger and ordered and received a long handled Progress from Amazon. Wow! Blade gaps are spot on and the razor is flawless - Great shave first time out of the box with an Astra SP and Body Shop Maca Root with the razor set on 4. Looking forward to many years of enjoyment with this razor!

You are going to enjoy the heck out of that razor.

Merkur engineered their DE razor to provide maximum performance coupled with the ability to adjust blade exposure to a granular level I've come to appreciate.

I have 38 shaves on a single Gillette 7o'clock Super Stainless in a short handle Progress and no sign of slowing down.

I've always been intrigued by the Progress and I don't much think the adjustment knob would really matter if it was the stock knob or the Mergress knob. That being said, I never had any luck with Gillette TTO's or the Slim as for some reason the doors would loosen just slightly mid shave!! Not sure if it was the way I held the razor while I shaved or when shaking off excess water after rinsing the head at some point or something I could never pinpoint. It led to me selling all vintage Gillette TTO's I had at the time. Has anyone ever had a similar problem with their Merkur changing settings mid shave or does the knob lock in pretty secure at the number you set it on?

Can someone explain to me why they'd pay $130 for a new (chromed) zamac razor? For stainless steel, I get it.
How many other zamac razors are there out there at this price (or higher)?

Edumacate me.

IMG_2951.JPG
Can someone explain to me why they'd pay $130 for a new (chromed) zamac razor? For stainless steel, I get it.

Edumacate me.

I think I paid $180 for the Blue Lapis Lazuli one. You must think I'm completely crazy.

View attachment 817440

I think I paid $180 for the Blue Lapis Lazuli one. You must think I'm completely crazy.

I have had the White Marble one for 2 years and it looks just like it did when new. The parts that wear on the Progress (threads) are brass. On Ebay there are plenty of old Progress that have stood the test of time and they are adjustable. I much prefer the infinite adjustable feature of the Progress and Futur to my Gillette adjustable.

I don't know how many there are, but I know that some Hoffritz slants go for several hundred dollars.

But I'm not getting why this good razor should cost more than many other good razors made of stainless steel?
Why should a stainless steel DE razor be more expensive? The Mergress is a customized Progress, there's quite a bit of time and artisanal skill that went into it. IIRC you can get a standard Progress for less than 60$.

I'm not implying it does, Haegar. But I'm not getting why this good razor should cost more than many other good razors made of stainless steel?

It is a $70 razor that has been "souped up". The basic version is a renowned adjustable razor. The mods are what you are paying for to make it cooler. Doesn't effect how it shaves.

OK, I'm getting it. If the market supports the asking price, it's all about free enterprise; and the razor's price will reflect what it's worth to the consumer - apparently there are many takers. I have no problem with it.
Maybe I'll buy one. :wink2:

Happy shaving.

It is a $70 razor that has been "souped up". The basic version is a renowned adjustable razor. The mods are what you are paying for to make it cooler. Doesn't effect how it shaves.
To the extent it changes the balance of the razor it certainly does. That being said I'm perfectly content with my vintage Progress .

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

To the extent it changes the balance of the razor it certainly does. That being said I'm perfectly content with my vintage Progress .

I guess so. I just use the muscles in my hand and arm to compensate for slight differences in the tool. The balance and weight differences have negligible effect on my personal shave.

I guess so. I just use the muscles in my hand and arm to compensate for slight differences in the tool. The balance and weight differences have negligible effect on my personal shave.
The same could be said for increasing blade gap, it doesn't change the optimum angle but certainly does change the feel of a razor for most folks. But I'm like you , I simply make mostly unconscious adjustment in how I hold the razor. If the Progress has a balance "problem" it's not something I've ever noticed. Now the original did have a plastic baseplate, so I'm guessing the move to a full Zamak head did make the razor more top heavy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom