What's new

Who taught you how to Wet Shave?

We had a neighbor down the street named Mr Whirley who gave me my first instructions when I was around 8. This was back in the early 70's and times were different- as a kid you would grab your BB gun and bike and be gone for the entire day. I saw Mr Whirley, who was about 90 at the time, sitting on his front porch stropping a straight. I stopped and asked him how he shaves with a straight since my dad used an electric. All he told me was twice with the grain and once against. He then proceeded to tell me more than I should have been told at that age about dating a red headed woman- but all his advice on this subject turned out to be spot on!

What? The redhead or the straight? ;)

My dad, bitching and snarling .. don't do that .. no no .. don't, you're pressing too hard .. LOL screw that and after that I always shaved when he wasn't home. :) Some Gillette 40's SuperSpeed, could have been a rocket for all I know and a tube of Noxema brushless. Razors didn't interest me but dad did know about the various sets and numbers that Gillette had. My dad alternated between Old Spice in a cup, Noxema or Palmolive and sometimes just plain Noxema Skin Cream. I didn't care for the brushless Noxema, didn't like the smell and I settled on the Noxema in a can. I really like the Old Spice in the cup but the brush we had wasn't for crap and was suited for making bubbly foam rather than lather (I always had razor burn). Gillette Blue Blades pre stainless and they worked for me shaving a couple times a month. Truth be told, I didn't have a decent shave my entire life until this past January, back in the pre days before joining B & B and surfing around getting ideas on what razor to buy. Back in the 50's, 60's and 70's, I'd used damn near every TTO Gillette know to man but nothing gold or Rhodium, they cost too much. After all, shaving was a chore and not a pleasure as it is today. Even now a year later, and I've acquired 15 or 16 razors, mostly vintage Gillette 40's SuperSpeeds, Aristocrats, Diplomats, Rockets, EJ89's, Feather stainless, Rockwell and I just bought a 61 Fatboy Executive and a 1921'ish New Standard (no box) open comb (it looks unused). I wonder how that shaves?

I believe when my son asked me about shaving, I told him to be careful and have fun. He Grows Beards And Knows Things today.. :)

Last edited:
Self taught since 1977 using various gillette carts. My father was an electric razor user. Learned a great deal from you great gents here at B&B!

My dad in 1980 ,with a 60s Gillete Fatboy he gave me and canned Noxzema (I still use both as my daily shavers and yes he still shaves the same way with a DE and canned floam).

Self taught. Started with a Trac-II in 1980(still have it) moved to a Sensor later(still have it too), then found Grandpas Fatboy a few months ago and that became my daily shaver. Though thanks to B&B and the collector curse I now have more.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Pretty much self taught but with a hand-me-down Super Speed from Dad (still have it and some of his other razors too). He gave me a few suggestions about a light hand and starting with the head on my face and then lower the angle until it just started to cut hair but at the time shaving was ubiquitous. Most every magazine had ads for shaving stuff and most movies had a shaving scene and even TV had commercials showing how to shave.

My late father always told me the wet shave iwht a safety razor is the best shave. However, he never showed me. I gvae it a try for some time, but really didn't know wht I was doing. I came back after years of being away and learned from a combination of youtube, B&B members (VERY generous members), online sellers, manufacturers, and other informational sites.:)

Nick Shaves

That guy scares me the few times I have watched his videos at the end his face seems red and irritated.

But to answer the question: I fumbled with the whole shaving thing by myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My dad taught me with a cartridge gillette, a stick of La Toja, and a basic wilkinson badger brush. I just improved to an Omega badger and remain that way till some months ago :). Now I have soap and splash for a couple of years, and the brush and razor family is growing :)

Top Bottom