What's new

Who never goes against the grain?

With the grain, across the grain and against the grain.

That's just my usual 3 passer, regardless of razor or blade.

I have never had issues with ATG. (Lucky and maybe slightly smug me)

I have never used a straight however, as I would be a disaster to myself and a drain on public medical resources if I attempted that art, regardless of direction.

Last edited:
I never go against the grain or across the grain. And the area that leaves the most whiskers is the neck, but, like you, I've had massive irritation the very few times I have tried to go against the grain there.

And I'm also not after BBS. I find, though, with how great the modern razors are nowadays, it's easy to get a great shave shaving just with the grain. And a great shave is all I'm after.

It causes issues for me. Neck hair grows in different directions so I try not to but probably do anyway. My goal is always less irritation.

2 pass WTG/XTG daily shave and I look BBS for the whole day!
Never ATG! I don't see the need for it if I'm shaving daily and all it does
is give me irritation every time I've tried it.
I don't want to feel a BBS shave, I just need to look like I've had it!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Every day I am shaving ATG, mostly on the upper lip (S-N). That is with a straight razor. I'm too scared to do it with a "safety" razor where I can't see the blade's edge on my skin.

To successfully perform the coups de maître, you need the best of edges and the skill.

I can do it, but don't often. A quick shave I never bother, if I am off somewhere I may well do so, never when I use a straight.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've always had an against the grain pass. What I sometimes add, I add because of my time here on B&B: across the grain. I didn't even know that was a thing. I was doing a three pass shave after reading threads here, but took out the XTG pass most of the time now. 2 passes with some buffing on my chin and/or neck seem to get the job done.

I guess that isn't quite accurate. I did see in on YouTube shaving videos I watched before B&B. But I found B&B within a little more than a week after ditching cartridges so it's almost moot.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There are plenty of shavers with parts of the face that will not tolerate ATG. As these shavers well know, there is no equipment or technique that will eliminate all the irritation. A kind of XTG blade buffing where you take a very short stroke and then slightly overlap the end of that one with the beginning of the next stroke usually produces a very nice result.

Top Bottom