What's new

Who Makes the Best High End Shave Cream

Castle Forbes is the best high end shaving cream I have used.
I also think Castle Forbes is the "cream of the crop"(pun intended). I use Proraso/Omega because I have too many other hobbies that my money would better serve, and there isn't that much of a dollar to performance difference to justify the cost for me. I do spring for their AS balms though.

Nancy Boy Signature Shave Cream.

It makes a very slick and protective lather, smells good too.

It costs more than $20, if you factor in the shipping cost.

OK, i understand. so far, my two "high-end" favs are:

#1 edwin jagger sea buckthorn

#2 truefitt & hill grafton

#3 the f. trumper coconut

(if TOBS qualifies as "high end", then place it at #2, in a tie)

i have some fitjar on the way, so the story may change.

v.

Agree with the list, just not the order. I'd put GFT at top, T&H 2nd, and EJ 3rd, but those exact creams are there for me, too. Only thing with me, I used my creams up and switched to soaps.

I was gifted two samples of RazoRock cream soap this week. I tried them both and have been absolutely stunned by the performance for the price, actually, at any price!
Try the RazoRocks first... then compare the high end creams to them later on...

Disclaimer... I'm not on the payroll and have nothing to gain.. Just pleased to see a reasonably priced product perform so well.

now i am totally confused. i am in canada and a friend in the UK is sending me some samples (off hand, i do not konw which, but will report back when they arrive). you are in norway, where the stuff is produced! please explain the difficulty.

as for "blenheim bouquet", another UK friend has this and it's possibly the most beautiful jar of all. a shave den show-piece. perhaps i will ask him for a sample too ;-)

v.

There's no difficulty in that I know where to get it. It's expensive though, that's the issue. Unless an online retailer orders in bulk, you'll have to buy directly from Fitjar. That is a small company and it's very, very expensive. There is an online retailer where I'd rather buy, but they're out of creams at the moment.

Even samples are just over $8 directly from Fitjar, plus shipping.

The international market wouldn't accept Norwegian market prices since they're so high, so I guess you can get it cheaper abroad.

Last edited:
Another vote for QCS creams. I have some QCS, T&H, COB, Godrej, Indian Old Spice and some Em's Place glycerine shave rounds. I like them all and they are all fine performers, but (for now) I like QCS the best.

I've not noticed a correlation, at least not a linear one. You hit the $20 mark and you're less likely to find duds, but that's not saying that the quality continues to go up.

I've noticed a subtle increase in shave quality between Proraso and Santa Maria Novella. But aside from the menthol, they're virtually indistinguishable except for a teeny increase in cushion. This is not enough to justify a price difference of $40. However, because I'm a snob, I'll still buy both. I like the unmentholated eucalyptus scent.

TOBS is 1/2 to 1/3 the price of T&H. But for me it performs just as well if not slightly better. I still own both, because I'm a snob. :)

DR Harris significantly outperforms both, but is pricewise on par with T&H. I have both. Because I'm a snob.

Trumpers doesn't shave well for me at all. I don't own it. Castle Forbes is meh for me, so I don't own it. Penhaligon's is about as good as my $6 tube of Speick, but I'm not a fan of the scents enough to blow $60 on a tub. Those two are about as good as Nancy Boy, AoS, and eShave, all of which I own or have owned and would buy again. So maybe not all that snobby.

Palmolive easily shaves as well as my TOBS. I paid 5 bucks for the tube. I will gladly use it again.

I'm not so snobby as to pass up a good deal. :)

Last edited:
The performance of Castle Forbes and a couple of others is hard to beat, these creams produce copious amounts of cushioning and slick lather that conditions the skin superbly with about 1/2 to 1/3 the amount needed with the rest. In terms of the scent.... well that is very personal.

Al raz.

Top Bottom