What's new

Who hand strops DE blades?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Just rinse it and flip it after every shave and ye don't have to think about it.

I only shave every few days now. I like to clean soap scum and water deposits off after every shave and start the next shave with a clean, dry razor.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
If I remove the blade for storage, I give it a very hot rinse and set it on a magnetic stalk with both edges touching nothing but air. I avoid touching the edges with my fingers.

Storage rack/use counter designed and 3D printed by a fellow B&Ber:
View attachment 1236374

Gem SE blades I rinse, then 'forearm strop' a few laps for drying, before storing in the rack.

Vintage AutoStrop blades I strop. (Duh!)

I have tried hand honing modern DE blades on special purpose vintage DE hones. No luck. I have yet to try these hones on vintage carbon DE blades.
View attachment 1236377
View attachment 1236376

Pretty cool.

Storage rack/use counter designed and 3D printed by a fellow B&Ber:

This is a brilliant design. I especially like the way the neodymium magnet is small and captures the magnet in the center rather than near the cutting edge. I'm picturing this in mahogany, stainless, porcelain; it inspires the imagination. :)

I have tried hand honing modern DE blades on special purpose vintage DE hones. No luck. I have yet to try these hones on vintage carbon DE blades.

Interesting. I've never seen this style of DE hone before. Please do try it with a vintage carbon blade and post the results! The metallurgy in modern DE blades rivals anything you'd find outside of the international space station. I'm no sharpening expert, but I can say that even the difference between sharpening even humble VG-10 stainless and 1050 carbon is pretty significant.

After the first 6 shavesor so I strop my Feather blades five times on the heel of my hand. I’m not sure it does anything, but I’m on shave 32 of my current blade, so something is working.

I use an old leather belt (rough and smooth sides) to strop a half DE blade in a cheap swing-lock Shavette and a half long Dovo blade in a Böker Barberette; I use each once per week in my rotation and have been using the same half blades for a year - both still willing to bite me for any lapse in concentration. I also occasionally hand strop them, but I am unable to recommend hand honing.
There are several videos on YouTube showing various vintage types of DE blade sharpeners/honers, for example:
I note other comments that most modern DE blades are not suitable for honing.

Top Bottom