What's new

Who else loves to watch the Olympics?

My wife, daughter and I just love sitting around the tv watching the olympics.

Even when your country is out of contention, it's fun to cheer on other athletes. :thumbup1: Especially when you hear some of the back stories.

Absolutely! We watch as much as we can. My wife grimaces each time a figure skater jumps: will he/she nail the landing or fall? Agony all around when they fall. My personal favorite is probably downhill.

I really like watching the winter olympics, but surprisingly there really isn't any coverage of it here on Iceland.... bummer

Altough I can tune in to eurosport and watch it there, it hasn't really registered in my head :þ

I will however cheer the canadian hockey team, and try to watch the games I can (even though I have never seen more than 2minutes of any hockey game)
Simply because of this story
http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/article/763651--woolsey-shades-of-high-flying-falcons

more info on the falcons
http://www.winnipegfalcons.com/

Last edited:
I have always loved the Olympics! Given the generally-poor state of network TV, coverage of this event is a welcome change. When the winter games are on, I think they're the best, and its the same in summer!

The Winter Olympics aren't too bad as they are easy enough to miss on the telly. The summer ones are dreadful as they are on constantly.

I'm dreading 2012 as I live in the UK. The iffy politicians will bankrupt the country for photo opportunities and inflating their egos.

I might go to the Cotswold Olimpicks (sic) which are held near me. Go watch some shin kicking and backsword. They've been going a lot longer than the Modern Olympics too!

Robert Dover's Cotswold Olimpicks

Gareth

I love the winter olympics, I think the "obscure" sports are much more interesting than most summer sports too.

Biathalon anyone? Awesome.

I hate that I get caught up watching it for hours, and being totally absorbed in activities and people I've never had any interest in before. Like the pairs figure skating last night...I can't believe I was pulling SO hard for a bunch of commies, lol...but I DO love the Olyimpics for some reason, even if it does put a stop to "real" (lol) hockey...

Winter or Summer Olympics - 2 weeks of bliss. I get tired of the announcers too, but most of the athletes exude the passion and wonder of their sport that seems to be almost completely missing from professional sports. The pro NBA players are clearly above the rest in talent, so it's not quite as remarkable, but the NHL players playing for their country are completely different people. Maybe it's because the NHL pros get spread across so many countries that it forces them to step up in order to win. In any case, just absolutely love the Olympics.

I love the winter olympics, I think the "obscure" sports are much more interesting than most summer sports too.

Biathalon anyone? Awesome.

We watched some of the biathalon over the weekend. Good stuff.

I remember seeing just a little bit of the shot put during the last summer olympics. If I remember right, alot of the obscure sports never see any tv time. Yet I could never turn on the tv in the '08 summer olympics without seeing lady's beach volleyball. I understand they were trying to increase viewing, but that was pretty blatant.

Yet I could never turn on the tv in the '08 summer olympics without seeing lady's beach volleyball. I understand they were trying to increase viewing, but that was pretty blatant.

If that slider hadn't died, I don't think there would be anywhere near as much live coverage of luge and bobsled on the main network this year.

We watched some of the biathalon over the weekend. Good stuff.

I remember seeing just a little bit of the shot put during the last summer olympics. If I remember right, alot of the obscure sports never see any tv time. Yet I could never turn on the tv in the '08 summer olympics without seeing lady's beach volleyball. I understand they were trying to increase viewing, but that was pretty blatant.

That must have been the 2nd week, The first week the only thing on tv was Michael Phelps.

I love the winter Olympics, especially the long-track speed skating, biathlon (had a buddy in college who used to compete for the Idaho National Guard team), and cross-country skiing. The luge and skeleton are pretty cool too.

I used to watch them quite a bit growing up. The last ones I really paid any attention to were in the early 90s. I did follow some of the Michael Phelps stuff over the summer.

Top Bottom