What's new

Who all has a Garand?

Fulton Armory builds/rebuilds Garands but you must supply the receiver. So if you get a "rack grade" M1 and want to dress it up to a match grade rifle, they will do that, but it is pricey.
I always wanted Dean's Gun Restorations to do mine, but never got around to pulling the trigger. He died before I could get it to him. He did some excellent work.

I had a good collection of milsurps several years back and really wanted a Garand; but cost deterred me (they were 500-1500 at the time... meanwhile I was buying 91/30's for like $50). A friend of mine did get a little spendy and picked one up... but I never got a chance to shoot it. As I recall; It wasn't something you could shoot a lot for fun (unless you were loaded); even back then... if you were lucky enough to find Milsurp... it was barely cheaper than hand loads were... again... at a time when you could get crates of 762 for <$100/800rds.

The M-1 Granad was a fine ride, it was semi auto. Proformed well, worked well, was accurate.

Used in World War Two, and Korea.

It’s replacement the M-14 was in MHO Was BETTER.

Both were replaced by the M-16, never personally like that Rifle,

Funny thing is the M-14 is still in use by some Special Op Troops.

Why heavy bullet with better accuracy.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Finally got a picture of mine. I took the slings off of 2 of them to clean them and then never put them back on. The one on the top is a replacement CMP stock that I haven’t had time to refinish yet. Darned kids take up all my time.

View attachment 1639715

Top to bottom
1.71 mil manufactured May 1943
3.08 mil manufactured July 1944
766k manufactured July 1942
4.27 mil manufactured 1952

I know some guys with unfinished stocks who leave them that way and just let time and the natural oils from their hands when handling the rifle self- finishes the stock all be itself. It takes awhile, but some turn out looking pretty good? :)

Since we’re sharing Garand pics. Fulton Armory Match build. Sitting on the 1000 yard line at Quantico…the firing point markers haven’t changed in years.
E16B89AD-2A3A-4ED5-B2B0-018FA9AF2CBA.jpeg

I have one of the Springfield Armory models. I think it is semi commercial, some surplus parts, some new, investement cast. No problems with it. The last time I shot it was over at my sisters, along some of the Mississippi river bluffs, where I could shoot down into a valley and not worry about where a bullet was going. It was fun to stand up offhand and bounce the standard 13 oz size tin cans around, get one flying and catch it as it hits the ground, range was varying from 40 to 60 yards, rather fast almost snap shooting.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I got one from my uncle quite a while ago. I reloaded for it and shot it at the range a number of times. I had it long before you could research its history on the internet. A couple years ago I dug into the history/background of mine. It was from Springfield armory all original not refurbished. It was really cool to get all that info. I knew who the inspector was and that it was part of the lend/lease program with England. It was in pristine condition. My son is now the proud owner along with a Smith & Wesson revolver fitted to shoot 45ACP. The one with the moon clips.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I shot my Garand again yesterday. It seems to be very ammo sensitive with regards to accuracy. While all rounds functioned properly, I was surprised that Federal Gold Medal Match gave mediocre accuracy, as did my handloads with Sierra Match King 168 gr. bullets and the recommended load of IMR 4895. It really shined with Hornady Match with 168 gr. ELD bullets. This factory load was specifically developed for the M1 Garand. While the first shot landed wide of the POA, the subsequent 4 shots formed a sub 2 MOA group. Pretty good for a rack grade barrel and no match grade enhancements. I noticed that with my other ammo, I usually had the first shot go wide as well, but it was a bit less apparent with the larger groups. I'm not sure what to make of that. Also, both my handloads and the FGMM had higher POI than the Hornady match and the FGMM had the highest recoil. I tried to take a pic of the target with my phone, but it chose to do a 1 sec. video instead of a pic. The 5 shot group in question had 4 shots within the 10 ring, 2 of them in the X-ring and those 4 shots measured approx. 1.75 MOA CTC, but the first shot went wide landing just outside the 9 ring at about 9 O'clock, opening up the total group to about 5 MOA. This was shot from the bench off of a front rest.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I shot my Garand again yesterday. It seems to be very ammo sensitive with regards to accuracy. While all rounds functioned properly, I was surprised that Federal Gold Medal Match gave mediocre accuracy, as did my handloads with Sierra Match King 168 gr. bullets and the recommended load of IMR 4895. It really shined with Hornady Match with 168 gr. ELD bullets. This factory load was specifically developed for the M1 Garand. While the first shot landed wide of the POA, the subsequent 4 shots formed a sub 2 MOA group. Pretty good for a rack grade barrel and no match grade enhancements. I noticed that with my other ammo, I usually had the first shot go wide as well, but it was a bit less apparent with the larger groups. I'm not sure what to make of that. Also, both my handloads and the FGMM had higher POI than the Hornady match and the FGMM had the highest recoil. I tried to take a pic of the target with my phone, but it chose to do a 1 sec. video instead of a pic. The 5 shot group in question had 4 shots within the 10 ring, 2 of them in the X-ring and those 4 shots measured approx. 1.75 MOA CTC, but the first shot went wide landing just outside the 9 ring at about 9 O'clock, opening up the total group to about 5 MOA. This was shot from the bench off of a front rest.
If I remember correctly mine have always been in the 2-3moa range. I’m hoping to get out and shoot at least one of them in the next week or two. I’ll report back after I shoot.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
If I remember correctly mine have always been in the 2-3moa range. I’m hoping to get out and shoot at least one of them in the next week or two. I’ll report back after I shoot.
Adam, have you ever noticed a tendency for first round flyers that you couldn't attribute to shooter error? I wonder if it has something to do with how the first round is stripped from the clip as opposed to subsequent rounds?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Adam, have you ever noticed a tendency for first round flyers that you couldn't attribute to shooter error? I wonder if it has something to do with how the first round is stripped from the clip as opposed to subsequent rounds?
I remember that happening with one of my rifles but I was shooting pulled bullets and just attributed it to nicks in the jacket or something else affecting the bullet aerodynamics from the pulling process. Let me check back in my reloading logs and see what I can find.

I have one of the Schuster adjustable gas plugs installed in mine. With it you can use heavier bullets and hotter loads that would probably damage the operating rod and locking lugs. When I was first trying it out, using mil spec ammo, I could adjust it down to the point of a single shot, or where the action cycled very slow and easy. They claim it can be adjusted for better harmonics with a specific load for better accuracy, but have not had the time or inclination to play that game.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’ve thought about putting a Schuster plug on one of mine but haven’t gotten around to it. If I ever get the time to shoot my M1s more I’ll probably try one out.

Top Bottom