What's new

Whisky rocks

Legion

Staff member
I got some of these in my Christmas stocking.

http://www.everten.com.au/Whisky-Rocks.html

Anybody with experience here? Personally I am a ice taker with most scotch (hey, I know it is not ideal, but Australia is a lot hotter than Scotland) This could be an alternative?

Interesting idea, anyway. Who's used these things? What do you think?

I'll give them a try later and give you my opinion.

Legion

Staff member
I dunno. I just used them. Maybe I didn't get them cold enough.... Maybe I'm used to the slight dilution that a little ice gives...

Still, an interesting addition to the bar. I'll probably stick with ice for whisky, but it might be nice for cognac on a hot night.

I think they're great for single malts with a little splash of water. I'm not really looking ice cold. For bourbon I still prefer ice.

Legion

Staff member
I got them as a gift a while back as well... They simply don't cool the drink.

That was my first experience as well. I'll try again tonight now that they have been in the freezer for a full day.

Lot's of people say you should not cool scotch, you get more flavour when it is room temperature. But what they don't realise is that in Australia room temperature might actually be really warm. Too warm to have in a beverage that isn't tea of coffee. Maybe the rocks might just be good in summer to bring the temp down to a regular room temperature that you find in most parts of the world.

I just got some stones for a gift as well. I normally sip all my whiskey at room temperature, so the slight chill works for me (3 stones with my Woodford Reserve). A co-worker who likes his colder uses one less stone with one ice cube and says the balance works for him.

I saw the stones and thought it was an interesting idea. These are the soap stone discs right? They say the soap stone retains temp better.

Legion

Staff member
I saw the stones and thought it was an interesting idea. These are the soap stone discs right? They say the soap stone retains temp better.

Yep, they are soap stone cubes, about 2cm across. They come with a little cotton bag which you put them in to store in the freezer.

Having just read the instructions (always a last resort) I find that they recommend using three in a glass. I only used two, so three might work a little better.

I too was given a couple sets of these for Christmas. At first I didn't think they were doing anything for the whisky, until I consulted the "Google Book of Knowledge". They are for keeping your whisky at "room temperature", which in Scotland, and other places is around 60* F (15* C). Apparently, over chilling a whisky will make it "tighten" up, meaning the oils present are not able to release their whole flavor.
Experimenting a bit, I made a drink using ice, and then followed it with a drink with the stones (3 per instructions). To my palate, the drink with the stones was more flavorful, and consistent throughout.

Further reading: http://kitchenboy.net/blog/do-the-whiskey-stones-rock/

(Bourbon was Ezra Brooks 12 year old single barrel)

Last edited:
I have a set, they aren't intended to chill the whiskey, only to bring it down to "cellar" temp. I think they are pretty neat, if only for the "hey, there's rocks in my drink" factor. I don't use them that often, but when I do I find they take a little bit of the edge off without sacrificing flavor like ice does.

Legion

Staff member
I too was given a couple sets of these for Christmas. At first I didn't think they were doing anything for the whisky, until I consulted the "Google Book of Knowledge". They are for keeping your whisky at "room temperature", which in Scotland, and other places is around 60* F (15* C). Apparently, over chilling a whisky will make it "tighten" up, meaning the oils present are not able to release their whole flavor.
Experimenting a bit, I made a drink using ice, and then followed it with a drink with the stones (3 per instructions). To my palate, the drink with the stones was more flavorful, and consistent throughout.

Further reading: http://kitchenboy.net/blog/do-the-whiskey-stones-rock/

(Bourbon was Evan Williams 12 year old single barrel)

Ha, In Australia room temperature is more like double that, at least in summer. I think I need more rocks.

I wouldn't use them if they are not polished smooth.

I work with glass... rocks + glass = scratching.

Ice Cubes for me. Freezer makes them automatically :)

Personally I am a ice taker with most scotch (hey, I know it is not ideal, but Australia is a lot hotter than Scotland) This could be an alternative?

My gut reaction is to demand that you stop making excuses for your blasphemy. :behead: Honesty compels me to acknowledge, though, that I have occasionally encountered Scots who have lived in Scotland all their lives and habitually take their whisky with ice.

Since I feel overly harsh pointing out your blasphemy, I will content myself to observe that I don't drink scotch in the summertime for exactly this reason. Try a light rye whiskey or wheated bourbon — I have grown particularly fond of rye in hot weather, and I only take ice in that in the height of summer heat. The pepperiness of the rye compensates a bit for the lack of ice.

I can't help thinking that you're drinking something inappropriate to the season, if you need to fiddle with a kluge-y solution like this.

I'm actually surprised I didn't score any whisky stones for xmas. Never tried one, but kinda wanted to. Now that I've read the replies here though, I'm not so sure they're for me. I usually do like my neat blended scotch and bourbon slightly chilled, with one or two ice cubes or poured into a chilled glass. No point if they really don't cool the drink.. perhaps it's just one of those trendy "just for show" things.

Top Bottom