What's new

Which Russian made blade is the best?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
JCarr:
proxy.php
Another vote for Voskhod blades (which happens to be my 'go-to' blade)! :thumbsup:

b4df2490-cb0b-4b01-9f4c-3ee1b95bb533-jpeg.1170597

Russia Playtoys.png
"Восход ... гладкий как шелк". (Translation...“Voskhod...smooth as silk".). Unofficial Voskhod Motto

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Gillette silver blue , excellent blade, sharp & smoooooth combined, I get 5-6 great shaves most of the time.
Polsilver Super iridium, great blade, 1st shave is not as smooth as the rest after wards IMO. I get 6-7 great shaves. Sharp & smooth.
Astra SP or Astra SS, just great blades, Sharp & smooth and a great price bargain. Astra SP is my standard for gauging other blades. 6-7 great shaves.
7oClock Super stainless, great blade Sharp & smooth with good longevity. 6-7 great shaves.
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I really like Polsilver and Wizamet.
Second on my list are the Perma-Sharp in the gold tuck.
Third would be Sputnik. I come to really like those recently.
The Russian blades just week to work bes6 for me.

Really enjoying Perma Sharp blades lately. The only Gillette branded blade that works for me seems to be the Nacet. GSB's are particularly disappointing.

Most enjoyable shave award goes to Wizamets, GSB, Plats, and Rubies. Most practical blade which doesn't cause irritation as often goes to Astra SP. The enjoyable ones are damn near buttery, making for a more pleasant/effortless shave, but Astras are so safe they feel like they are healing my skin.

I'm only familiar with 5 brands from the PPI set. Seems logical that some or most of these, coming from the same factory, will be absolutely identical apart from the branding, but I've never tried to do a formal comparison. Informally, I perceive some differences. I find the 7 OC yellows and Nacets to be the best blades I've tried. The Silver Blues and Platinums are good, but seem less sharp. The Astra SPs were nothing special.

But since I've only, to date, tried samples from one tuck of each of these, I can't help but wonder if the differences I experienced were due more to the details of a given manufacturing run than to fundamental differences in the brands. Surely there's going to be some variance as their equipment wears and gets tuned back up. The conveyor bearings develop some play, the honing wheels wear, the coating sprayers get gummed up, and then these elements get fixed or replace. And I imagine it's possible that the raw steel, heat treatments, and coating formulations won't be identical over the years either.

So I wouldn't be surprised if several different brands coming out of that factory in a given month are more similar to each other (or even identical) than examples of any one brand produced a year or more apart. And that might explain some of the different experiences us end users have with these blades. Maybe we're not really comparing Nacets to Silver Blues. Maybe we're comparing the March 2017 production run to the September 2020?

Just some feeble armchair analyzing....

I haven't used modern blades for a couple of years but I'm pretty sure I was only using Russian ones when I did. Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow and Dark Blue, Silver Blue, PSI and Wizamet Iridium Supers and Rapira Swedish Super Steels. I tried several Indian, Egyptians and others but didn't like any that I remember.

Most enjoyable shave award goes to Wizamets, GSB, Plats, and Rubies. Most practical blade which doesn't cause irritation as often goes to Astra SP. The enjoyable ones are damn near buttery, making for a more pleasant/effortless shave, but Astras are so safe they feel like they are healing my skin.
+1 on the Astra SPs. They are my go-to blade when testing a new DE razor, and the price can't be beaten.

Top Bottom