What's new

Which Rockwell 6s plate matches Feather AS-D2?

Hello,

I would be interested to know your opinions about which Rockwell 6S plate matches Feather AS-D2

a) in terms of agressiveness
b) in terms of efficiency

What i have read online there are some saying that #2 or 3#. Some have made comparisons also with #1.

I have 6S and I get good shaves with #2 but #1 is too mild and you need to buff so much.

Haven't used my R1 plate yet, but I've used the R2 plate twice now and on both occasions got a far easier BBS than I can with my AS-D2.

I'm going to give the R1 plate a spin tomorrow morning, but I suspect that it might be rather hard work to get BBS.

Hello,

I would be interested to know your opinions about which Rockwell 6S plate matches Feather AS-D2

a) in terms of agressiveness
b) in terms of efficiency

What i have read online there are some saying that #2 or 3#. Some have made comparisons also with #1.

I have 6S and I get good shaves with #2 but #1 is too mild and you need to buff so much.
I'd also say the 34C is closer to Rockwell setting 3. Did you get the card from Rockwell that describes the best use for each setting? No two beards are the same, but I'd say Rockwell isn't too far off for the average user, and setting 1 likely will be milder than ideal for shaving adult male facial hair in most cases.

Two of my favorite razors. I think R2 is the closest, and I like Derby Extra and Feather in both razors. Crystals also work good int he AS-D2.

I have not used a 6S, but used to have a 6C, which I understand functions the same. Based on that, I thought the Feather AS-D2 feels similar to base plate #2, but performs closer to a #3. I thought plate #1 was pretty worthless.

I have never used a Feather. Someday! I am surprised that most who have both have said plate 3 best equals the Feather AS-D2. I would have thought it to be a bit more aggressive. Anyway, I find my Rockwell P4 equals my 34c and I'd have to say P2 equals my Parker 99A barber-pole brass. I currently use P5. 3 passes. Very nice shave.

Thank you all for your comments.
I just got the AS-D2 (yesterday) and I was curious to hear your opinions compared to Rockwell 6s settings.
I have shaved just once with the AS-D2 so I am still learning it's charasteristics.

Yes, based on 1 shave I had yesterday, I agree AS-D2 is something like 6S at setting 2 or 3. They are quite a different razors though. AS-D2 is harder to use, it really has special shallow shaving angle. You notice that especially when you shave ATG under nose.

6S seem to get more love in forums which I understand: it is cheaper, offers more options and it is easy to shave with. AS-D2 is harder to use and I can understand that some don't get a good shave with it because it really seem to demand more concentration and technique. It seem to be mild but efficient at the same time. Yes mild does not mean that it is not cutting. It sure cuts. And you can play around with it without making your face irritated easily.

I am happy to have both razors.

I do like the feel of stainless steel on the face. Does it seem to move smoother on your face? Anyone? Or is just me, but my 34c seems to feel different. It is hard to describe in words. Chrome and SS feel different. SS is nicer IMHO.

I do like the feel of stainless steel on the face. Does it seem to move smoother on your face? Anyone? Or is just me, but my 34c seems to feel different. It is hard to describe in words. Chrome and SS feel different. SS is nicer IMHO.

I don't why but to me sometimes shiny chrome head does not glide so smooth as razor heads that have some coating. For example Merkur Futur in satin version felt much better than the shiny polished version on face. And some chrome razor heads seem to stick to my face more.

SS gives better feeling while shaving in general than chrome to me. Also the weight might have something to do with it.

Some update. Instead of Polsilver I tried Voskhod...which turned out be bad decision. Did not feel good at all. Lots of irritation. I thought one could not get irritation with AS-D2 but seems possible. The end result was like I had been shaving with a very aggressive razor with a bad teachique. So the Voskhod seems to be out question for me with this razor.

Top Bottom