What's new

Which razor?

Can anyone please advice... I have been using a safety razor for some time but now want to switch to a straight/cut throat. I have never used one before.
I have been considering the The Feather Artist Club SS Japanese Style Professional non-folding razor but the blades are more expensive.
My barber recommended that I buy a fixed blade and sharpen myself (I am used to sharpening carpentry blades)

Really confused as there are so many and the price ranges are massive especially here in the UK.

Many thanks for any advice.

Neil :confused1

Welcome to Badger & Blade.

I'd recommend getting a vintage razor (or two) and a strop kit from Whipped Dog. It's in the U.S., but I think it would still be a smart deal, as it has everything you need in order to get started.

WD does have some good deals.
But first - it might pay to do a LOT of reading through the myriad of posts here on B&B about different types of razors, beginners struggles, etc.
Knowledge is power. Of course you can just play 'follow the leader' now, figure the rest of the stuff out later.

I'm in the same boat. I've been using a de for the past two years and want to start with a straight. I just ordered one sight unseen from whipped dog and also got a poor mans strop. I figure I need to get familiar with it all before committing some heavy funds toward it. Besides there's so much reading still to do! Best of luck!

I started with a great starter kit from Larry (Whipped Dog) and added a couple of sight unseen razors over time. Then, I tried the Feather kamisori style and have never looked back. The blades are expensive at nearly $I each but they last 10 - 15 shaves. Trust me, it is much cheaper in the long run than traditional straight razors. Honing, strops, stones can add up fast.

The blades are very sharp and with good lather, skin stretching and overall technique, give me a wonderful shave. I still use the traditional straights occasionally for fun but for every day, I grab the Feather. I have also used the CJB (just got another one) and like it also. You can often pick them up brand new for less than $30. Blades can also be found at reduced prices on BST.

Enjoy the world of straight shaving whichever route you choose!

Marty

I fail to see the logic in saying it is cheaper in the long run to use feathers. Feather blades are not cheap and for about $120 you could get a very usable coticule and an illinois strop which could conceivably last forever. Or you could get a piece of glass and lapping film which is cheap as dirt.

...and a Feather A/C SS is not the same as a straight. Maybe somewhat similar, but not the same. I tried one; did not like it at all.

I'm also new to the world of open straights and got myself the Bluebeard's revenge shavette with Feather DE blades. it's dirt cheap (~10 euros ) and so are the blades.

As one who only uses the disposable blade straights I'd vote for the Feather. Once you get the technique down you'll have the sharpest straight going, and the shaves will be great.

As one who only uses the disposable blade straights I'd vote for the Feather. Once you get the technique down you'll have the sharpest straight going, and the shaves will be great.

I'm awaiting my Feather ac SS order,should arrive tomorrow. Anxious to find out what changes in technique I'll have to apply for handling that puppy properly.

Being 5 or 6 months ahead of you, I think you need to figure out what you want out of it. You have a shaving solution with a DE, but your ready to take it to the next level.

I have 3 razors so far. A new Dovo, a Gold Dollar, and a Whipped Dog. In retrospect, I wish I had gotten 2 not so new razors, but better than the GD and WD sight unseen. There are a lot of razors in the $40-$80 range on the BST. I'd recommend doing that. As I'm learning to hone, the GD and WD have some challenges. It is nice to have a straight blade as a new honer. I wish I had 2. Some guys like to shave with smiles, and I
might some day too, but for now, it adds complexity for honing. So don't go super old school with lots of history and character for now.

I'd also recommend that you make a 6 month commitment. There were a number of times I was ready to sell the whole kit, but now that I've crossed the divide, I'm getting great shaves that are more comfortable than my DE. Ya gotta stick it out!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Larry at Whipped Dog is a pretty budget friendly option even shipping to the UK.

For the price of the Feather you could have a nice shave ready vintage blade and handmade strop from another Neil @ http://www.strop-shop.co.uk or a load of options on the B/S/T.

Buying a fixed blade and sharpening it yourself is in my mind more of a longterm goal, first get a pre sharpened blade, learn to shave with it & keep it sharp.

I own a Feather AC SS. It was the first straight-ish razor I bought. Soon after getting it I realized I wanted "the real thing." The SS now sits in the medicine cabinet getting only very occasional use. It is a great sharp razor, but just doesn't have the same appeal to me any longer.

i'm not a straight shaver but consider it often
i'm put off by big learning curve for sharpening
read about the Weck Sextoblade here
it has great reviews here from straight shavers
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/339934-Weck-Sextoblade-Pass-The-Reviews
one was sent around to those that wanted to try it
many loved it and bought their own to use when they didn't have the time for a true straight shave
apparently, cheap blades are readily available at beauty supply stores by Fromm and Personna
if you have interest in the Weck Sextoblade, be sure it has the correct guard bar attachment [there were 2 correct versions]
many on ebay have the wrong hair shaper guard
i'm still on the fence though and think this is a cheap viable intro to straight shaving
time will tell if i jump in

Top Bottom