What's new

Which modern DE would I like?

I'm a big fan of Gillette adjustables. My main razor is a slim adjustable. But I like the fatboy, the red tip super speeds. I also have gotten interestes in older Gillettes, the double ring, single ring and the bell tube.

I like sharper blades, Pol silvers, gillette Nacet, 7 o'clocks, A russian that I can't remember the name

Lately I was wondering what the modern DE's had to offer. Whats available out there?

I really enjoy the Rockwell 6S. It is an adjustable but not in the same way as the Gillette adjustable. A modern adjustable in that style that works great is the Parker Variant.

If you like adjustables, maybe the Rex Ambassador is a good fit. I don't own it, but it is the only adjustable that has tickled my fancy.

I define "modern" as any razor that's still in production. Some of my fav's in random order:

Merkur Futur (a little wild, so I recommend a lower setting, but it's solid and smooth)
Merkur 37 Slant (a slightly closer shave, enhanced by the physics of a slanted blade)
Parker Variant (a little utilitarian in appearance, but it gets the job done)
Merkur Progress (arguably "the best of the best")
Muhle R89 (a little mild, so it may require a shim or two)

I'm not really stuck on adjustables. With my Gillette adjustables I usually just keep them on '7'

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm a big fan of Gillette adjustables. My main razor is a slim adjustable. But I like the fatboy, the red tip super speeds. I also have gotten interestes in older Gillettes, the double ring, single ring and the bell tube.

I like sharper blades, Pol silvers, gillette Nacet, 7 o'clocks, A russian that I can't remember the name

Lately I was wondering what the modern DE's had to offer. Whats available out there?

How much money do you wish to spend?

Great suggestions above!

But I also fear that none may be better for you than what you have now. The only way to answer this question is to try!

Top Bottom