What's new

Which modern DE shaves like the 1930 Gillette NEW short comb?

If you want a new razor, the Ikon B1 OC Deluxe is pretty close.
I would second this razor, and it is currently on sale on the ikon website. The stainless steel handle is much heavier than the new. I had and loved a Goodwill which I think is actually a long comb new and once it broke I replaced it with the iKon. I have been very satisfied with it.

Sport Shaving has some beautifully restored news.

I have only tried the RazoRock old type clone and while I thought it was good, I preferred the new.

The 2 smoothest and most efficient razors I have used is a 1934 Gillette New RFB and a FOCS. The rest is just playing catch-up IMO.
1AAE963F-0D2D-44BD-9946-D0CBA9C614BF.jpeg

0D1594A5-B29D-4A60-8D76-A961038BB3BB.jpeg

I also agree with the suggestion of Ikon B1 OC Deluxe. I had that razor for some time while I stilled owned a Gillette NEW.

The ikon b1 is meant to be an homage to the New Deluxe, which is similar, but not the same as, a short comb New.

Personally, I don't think any modern razor really captures the feel and shave of the short comb.

Not saying that you shouldn't try the iKon b1. You might find that you love it. But don't expect it to shave the same as the SC New.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The ikon b1 is meant to be an homage to the New Deluxe, which is similar, but not the same as, a short comb New.

Personally, I don't think any modern razor really captures the feel and shave of the short comb.

Not saying that you shouldn't try the iKon b1. You might find that you love it. But don't expect it to shave the same as the SC New.
I've never tried a SC, but @Tanuki gave me a LC that has cured any RAD I had. Everytime I use ANY other razor I'm quickly reminded that I won't miss any of the other ones.

I've never tried a SC, but @Tanuki gave me a LC that has cured any RAD I had. Everytime I use ANY other razor I'm quickly reminded that I won't miss any of the other ones.
Yeah, the LC New is a pretty sweet razor. I remember the first time I tried one. Such a "wow" feeling.

I don't think the New Deluxe is the same at all, although it's a fine shaver in its own right. I had one of the iKon razors a long time ago, but once I had a "real deal" Gillette New Deluxe I sold the iKon. I ended up selling the New Deluxe as well, but I still have a Long Comb New. Fantastic razor.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yeah, the LC New is a pretty sweet razor. I remember the first time I tried one. Such a "wow" feeling.

I don't think the New Deluxe is the same at all, although it's a fine shaver in its own right. I had one of the iKon razors a long time ago, but once I had a "real deal" Gillette New Deluxe I sold the iKon. I ended up selling the New Deluxe as well, but I still have a Long Comb New. Fantastic razor.
First time I used it I understood what someone on here meant when they said every razor Gillette made after that was not quite as good. It's a scary looking razor I suppose to some people, but I honestly don't think I have ever been bitten by it.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Apologies if hijacking the thread too much, but how does the Goodwill compare against the LC New and New Deluxe (ie which is the Goodwill more similar to)?

edit: it seems you are saying Deluxe is short comb and I think Goodwill is a long comb so probably closer to LC New. Seems like I will need to do some shopping soon

Last edited:
Looks like your modern recommendations are being hijacked by vintage acquisition enablers.

I have some New Deluxes from Red & Black sets that have the same wash-off gold plating, they all shave well. Some are a bit tarnished but the plate loss IMO doesn't impact the shave that much.

Another good option is New Improved in good condition, they have thicker Silver or Gold plating, if you find one in nice condition it should be enough to last another few lifetimes before replating. These are also a lot heftier at around 77g compared to 52g of a SC with Common Bar

Looks like your modern recommendations are being hijacked by vintage acquisition enablers.

I have some New Deluxes from Red & Black sets that have the same wash-off gold plating, they all shave well. Some are a bit tarnished but the plate loss IMO doesn't impact the shave that much.

Another good option is New Improved in good condition, they have thicker Silver or Gold plating, if you find one in nice condition it should be enough to last another few lifetimes before replating. These are also a lot heftier at around 77g compared to 52g of a SC with Common Bar
The New Improved is also quite a bit more aggressive and has a lot more blade feel. This is especially true when comparing it to the short comb. I would think there are a lot of guys who love the short comb who would not enjoy the New Improved much if at all.

I wonder if razors made with modern technology are not as good as the razors of the 1920s and 1930s. This is not some lost technology. If the razor at that time was really so good, it could be copied with today's technology.

I enjoy the NEW SC a lot and have found couple razors to be similar to it: Fatip Piccolo and Razorock GC84. I believe both are more efficient than the NEW SC but they all shave very well. I can pick any of those for a lifelong shave razor, although variety is addicting, haha.

Top Bottom