What's new

Which knot goes better with which handle?

I'm going to be comparing some TGN knots over the next several days to see which one I like best so that I can order that one for a butterscotch Simpsons and a butterscotch Rooney. I bought one each of the finest grade bulb and fan shaped knots that I'll be trying in different handles (I also got the Silver Tip to try, but I'm pretty sure I'll like the finest better). If I end up finding the fan and the bulb shape knots comparable in performance/feel, I might make the decision on which one looks best in which handle. So, I thought I'd do some demo pics and see what y'all think. Loft heights still need adjusting, so these are just general photos. What do you think? Does the Simpson's handle look better with the bulb shape knot or the fan shaped knot? What about the Rooney, fan or bulb?

In this post, the Rooney's on the left with a fan shaped knot and the Simpson's is on the right with the bulb knot.

Last edited:
Not the quetion you asked, but if you are a face latherer, it's my opinion that the Rooney could be set a little lower. Brush below is of similar handle, 24mm Finest fan from TGN, the depth of the knot hole is 19mm. I think @15mm or less and I wouldn't like it as much for face.

View attachment 162712

Interesting. We all agreed on something! That may be a record! I think it is a function of the shape of the brush matching the shape of the shoulder of the handle. I'm going to remember that for future handle designing.

It is, indeed, a rare time when all are agreed on something. I also agree with other people's ideas that the Simpson's handle looks better with the bulb knot and the Rooney handle with the fan knot. My wife also agreed. I think skipbord is on to something. When the shape of the knot is similar to the bottom of the handle, it seems to add a nice sense of symmetry.

And I'll definitely be adjusting the lofts whenever I get the actual knots in that will go in these handles. I was just plopping the knots in to get a sense of how they'd look with different style knots. But I'll definitely be adjusting the loft heights.

Top Bottom