What's new

Which DE razor is the most aggressive?

Though I have VERY limited experience with razors and somewhat average with DE shaving now, due to a coarse grain... I would have to say that MOST razors would probably not work too well on me. Even cartridge razors with 3+ blades don't shave it all off in one pass.

My pick would have to be Parker91r. What is your pick gents? (considering you have to do multi-pass shaves, coarse grain)

I think the blade makes big difference depending on the razor. Have you used feathers?

My take would be merkur slant if you want a non-adjustable or Vision if you want an adjustable. For the latter, if you have tough whiskers, then a very sharp blade is essential - otherwise you might find it pulls.

I agree that the blades are very important almost as much as the razor sometimes more, I never used a slant but have used feathers in a Vision cranked open, I have a very coarse beard also and I can guarantee a Vision cranked wide open with feathers will remove all your growth in just a couple passes easily, maybe a few layers of skin too if you aren't careful :biggrin: mostly any good razor and blade with good technique will remove any beard no matter how coarse you just may have to change the blade more often but that's one of the reasons we all got into this DE shaving is because the blades are so cheap and to save money right :whistling:

I agree with finding the right blade, for the razor, maybe a red-tip, slant, or New would work well for you.

I have the dreaded combination: very coarse beard and very sensitive skin. Blades definitely make a huge difference. For a long time now I've used a Gillette Slim Adjustable with Feather blades. Even set on 2 or 3 (dialing down to 1 for the final T&C pass) I have no problems slicing through the whiskers. Even so, I have to be pretty careful or I'll take off some of my face. (This is true for me no matter what combination of razor and blade I use, though.)

I do find that the "Swedish" Gillettes (are we still calling them that?) are more forgiving than Feathers, and seem to be pretty much as effective. I think I'm going to have to order some more of those.

I definitely am in need of a new razor as I gave my Parker91r away on my last noob giveaway. Now I have a ball-end tech (which is just passing through) I am finding the need to do 4+ passes to get anything cut. For me, the Derby blade is not the issue since I have noticed the same blade to be much more aggressive in the parker91r, than in a ball-end tech or Weishi or a gillette knack.
I really don't think I would be a big fan of adjustables. More parts, more problems. Plus, I know that I will be using the most aggressive setting to begin with. It gives the best shaves IMO. So you guys recommend Slant bar? How is the blade gap/exposure?

Maybe give an open comb a go. I have the Slant and the Muhle Pinsel R41. I rate the Muhle Pinsel as the more aggressive. But, put a Feather in either one, and your whiskers will flee in panic.

Cheers

Jeremy

Don't knock the adjustables. The old Gillette adjustables like the Slim, Fatboy and Super Adjustable are great shavers and are very well constructed. You can often find them going in the forums, and they're pretty much guaranteed to be as aggressive as you want them to be. I don't have a particularly coarse beard, just a full one, and the Super adjustable on five works great for me.

i cant shave with my R41, too aggressive, apart from the beard, it also reduces my skin, but the thing that truly scares the heck out of me is seeing a blade loaded on a vision at full exposure, scary sight,

Top Bottom