What's new

Which cartridge razor/disposable razor did you use today and how many shaves?

Right side of face - Dorco Pace 3 (3 shaves)

Left side of face - Gillette Mach 3 (1)

Very close to a tie and in Dorco Pace 3 favor. I got some nicks on the Gillette side.

Have you tried the Personna Caliber 3 yet? I like the Caliber but haven't shaved with a M3 in years so not sure how they actually compare head-to-head nor have I ever shaved with a Dorco so I have no frame of reference for that. If you ever get a Caliber please post your comparison to the Dorco and M3.

I didn't have soft water, and tried the tap water, but the results were generally below average. I didn't want to get dresssed, and go outside to get a jug of rain water, or at least check to see if there's one without much algae in it . .

So, I'll repeat today's split shave, tomorrow.
All right, first report on a proper "second half" crisscross test, I-1 Injector on my right side, Schick FX Diamond Edge on the left. The FX is already dragging / tugging during only its fifth half-shave (one full shave, three halves now). It worked well when new, and although so far, the results are favorable for this portion, I got distracted by a couple of books yesterday and skipped shaving on Friday.

The I-1 still feels like it's just gliding, without any blade at all, although I still needed some flexible-head cleanup on my neck, where a dress shirt collar would be, if I hadn't passed all of those on along to Good Will. That was a trouble spot that the FX had handled fine when shaving the right side. (Incidentally, there are / were a couple of jugs of rain water left , without any algae growth.)

Dorco Pace 3 (4 shaves).

Surprisingly enough this razor feels better on the 4th shave than it did on the first or second.

I am currently using a Trac II, however the blade is called a Wilkinson Sword "Contact II" it was NOS at a local pharmacy. Shaves as good as the Trac II that I remember. I am currently on the fifth shave and the blade seems to be still in order. I do have a little pus filled razor bump below the jawline (underneath the chin) I wonder if this is because of heavy pressing going against the grain (I think I just answered my own question) . The razor blade address on the pack is the same as the Gillette Head office in South Africa. Perhaps it was previously owned by Gillette in South Africa as Wilkinson Sword name is alien to South African shavers

Still searching for the ideal cart shave for travel. Gillette guard is one I hope to try.
Gillette Trac II carts (or better: the Made in England Wilkinson Sword variant). I used those for years, with the original Gillette handle, and it still makes for an excellent travel razor. At least for me. YMMV of course.

After 25 years I have been using an Atra for the last couple of weeks with Dollar General cartridges and all the shaves have been very good. Pretty much two pass BSS all the time. Now, the two pass is relative as with the cartridge I go over the same spot a few times.

I split my shave between a Gillette and a Schick. I used a Schick FX with a Diamond Edge cartridge on the right side. Adding up partials in previous tests (versus an I-1 Injector), this is now four shaves. The shave cream was La Toja, the shave brush was a VdH pure badger, and a Sensor twin handled the left side. The FX handles random-growth pattern whisker patches better than almost any razor I've used, requiring far less touch-up.

It doesn't follow the contours of the face quite as well, having a smaller degree of head-pivot freedom than a Sensor, being more like the small-degree offered by an Atra. As a result, the Sensor beats it, apparently.

Gillette Trac II carts (or better: the Made in England Wilkinson Sword variant). I used those for years, with the original Gillette handle, and it still makes for an excellent travel razor. At least for me. YMMV of course.

i am on the lookout to try those as i already have the handle, but no carts. locally the WS are no longer around, and the Trac II come only in packs of 15 or 20 or something.

I rotate between a Sensor 3 and a Mach 3; I can easily get 30 shaves with both. I shave daily, have a fine/soft beard, and use 1 pass with a little ATG touch-up on my neck.

As best I can recall, the only use I've ever had for my Schick Xtreme3 has been clean-up / touch up after a DE shave that was not up to my standards -- I've used Sensors for that most of the time since getting the classic razors out during the week once again. Today, I gave myself the entire shave with this three bladed wonder machine, using the Yellow-stripe Barbasol foam. I was in somewhat of a hurry, but not so much I wanted to get the Norelco.

I didn't do two entire passes, just WTG and some XTG. Still got a respectably good shave without any irritation.

Left side of my face:

Gillette Atra handle, with Wilkinson Sword Profile cartridge

Right side of my face:

Schick Krona DE razor, with HEMA blade (store brand, Crystal)

Top Bottom