What's new

Which Blades Have the Best and Worst Reputations For Consistency?

My experience is that most blades are not consistent. But there are consistent blades which I don't fancy either, there are also some inconsistent blades I like (for a single use).
Consistent: Feather, Personna Med; don't like: Merkur, Timor, Croma, Souplex, Kai
Inconsistent: anything from MOSTOCHLEGMASH, but their PTFE-coated blades are (cheap and) comfortable; don't like: any brand from RBC I haven't yet listed but tried. Too many to write down

I use Derby Extra's (post 2016 newer/thinner blades), Astra SP, Dorco (ST301) and Dorco Primes (STP301) and while performance levels vary (Derby 4-5 comfortable shaves, Astra SP 5-6 and Dorco's 8-10) the performance for all of this is consistent with the occasional roughly 1 out of 10 outlier that can go in either direction.

There is only one blade that I used often enough to make a statement like that; the Lord Super Stainless Super (blue and white packs). I guess I used about 400-500 of them of different batches and always get 3-4 shaves out of those. I never had a dull one but there has been one blade that I could use for 16 shaves; never happened again after that.

So pretty consistant I would say.

Not from personal experience but I have heard more than one member comment about getting great shaves from Voskhod blades then ordering a hundred pack and getting mostly crappy shaves. I tried a tuck of Voskhods and thought that they were meh. So I will put this out there as a maybe inconsistent.
I would agree with the Voskhod blade being inconsistent. I tried some a few years ago and they were mediocre. I tried one recently and it was much better than I remembered.

Not from personal experience but I have heard more than one member comment about getting great shaves from Voskhod blades then ordering a hundred pack and getting mostly crappy shaves. I tried a tuck of Voskhods and thought that they were meh. So I will put this out there as a maybe inconsistent.
I bought a 100 of Voskod and they seemed consistent. Particularly for that price.

The blade I was dissapointed in when i.got 100 was certainly Gillette Silver Blue. Particularly in the Feather ASD2

Top Bottom