What's new

Where's your location? A PSA

Legion

Staff member
A suggestion for all who have not yet done so. Please, in the about you area of your profile, put your location. Especially if you live outside CONUS. Even better, put a clue in your sig line so we don't have to dig.

I've lost count of how many posts I've read asking for advise on where to find or buy XYZ. They get a bunch of responses, usually telling them about services or retailers in the US, because people just assume that's where they live. Only to be told "I would buy there, but international postage is so expensive, it would double the price". Sigh. That would have been handy info from the get-go.

The majority of the members here are in the US, but there is a HUGE percentage that is not, so please represent your country or area publicly.

Maybe the US guys can do the same, but narrow it to a city or state. You will be amazed by how many people will go the extra mile to help out a local.

When making a recommendation, the one asking for it should also check if that product is actually available where they live and if it's not then look for a viable alternative, rather than just saying "it is not available where I live".

There is always a market for importing and exporting niche goods into other countries. I should start exporting scrubbing bubbles for all of the questions I see on where do i get that?

There are 1000’s of ways to remove soap scum and sanitize a razor, yet the scrubbing bubbles method really has people’s attention.

Legion

Staff member
There is always a market for importing and exporting niche goods into other countries. I should start exporting scrubbing bubbles for all of the questions I see on where do i get that?

There are 1000’s of ways to remove soap scum and sanitize a razor, yet the scrubbing bubbles method really has people’s attention.
Yeah. Scrubbing bubbles, barkeepers friend, Simple Green... All just American branded products that have an equivalent everywhere, even if it has a different brand name.

Exporting cheap US drug store aftershave in bulk would be where the money is.

When I first came here, a poster wanted to suggest a place for me to buy something razor related and asked where I live. I told him Trinidad, CO. He said he was familiar with the place and suggested that I visit a shop in NE Arizona as it was fairly close to me. In response, I pointed out that NE Arizona was two days away by car; not exactly close. He never responded. Yes, mentioning where you live when looking for sources is a Good Idea; checking on a map before suggesting locations is another one.

Top Bottom