What's new

Where is the best place to buy pens

The best place to buy pens is the place where you can actually feel them in your hand and compare. I don’t know where that would be in L.A., but there must be a decent shop or two.

That said, I think you can't go wrong with a Pilot Metropolitan, if ordering online suits you better.

I was thinking the same thing. I need to feel them. There are shops where I live thanks.

For fountain pens my first stop is Goulet Pens. If they don't have what I want I then look at Anderson Pens and PenChalet. For non-fountain pens I like JetPens.

If you want a round grip look at the Lamy 2000. It is an amazing pen and one of my top 2 favorites. German nibs (Lamy, Pelikan) tend to run a larger size. So, for example, a Fine Lamy is like a Medium Pilot. So, if you like Fine, get Extra fine if ordering a German nib. If ordering a Japanese nib- go the opposite direction.

Last edited:
On you tube find Brian Goulet's channel. It will explain a lot. Also SBRE Brown's channel.

+1 for both. Goulet has a "fountain pens 101" group of videos if I remember correctly. And SBRE Brown has alot of cool videos like inkcyclopedia and disassembly line (breaks a pen down so you know how to, safely)

I recently bought a couple Jin Hao 159s from Goulet. They have become my go to pens. Unlike most in their price range, the bodies are mostly brass(?). I have 2 other Jin Haos of of different style. All 4 use the same nib, and all 4 are extremely smooth.

Goulet pens, Fountain Pen Hospital, Fahrney's for new. E bay if you know what you are looking for. I just picked up a Montblanc silver Solitaire Duoe, that is a sterling silver cap, black body Legrand pen, which is their mid size and the best I think for under $400. A new model runs just under $1000 and this one looks unused in the box.

If you are just getting started and want to see if you like it, a Pilot Varsity is an excellent pen. They are incredibly smooth. Once you have gotten into the hobby/habit/addiction, you'll figure out how to refill them with whatever ink you like. You won't be able to do anything fancy with them, but they do write well.

If you live in a major metro area, I'm sure you can find a local pen shop where you can actually put your hands on a few to try. If you live in small town middle America, you're pretty much going to have to rely on purchasing online.

I wouldn't say anything bad about Goulet if you offered me a free pen. Their selection, prices, and service are exceptional. That goes for pens, ink, paper, whatever. If you have a question, email Brian directly, and he will respond.

I've only ever ordered from Anderson one time, and I'd put their service in the same category as Goulet.

Maybe do a search to see if you have a paradise pens brick and mortar store. They're a little more expensive but you get to see touch and try them.

Thanks for the feedback

Yesterday I visited WCS and they happened to have pens there but they didn't let me try them. So I didn't buy any.

Top Bottom