What's new

Where do you wear your scents?

I don’t wear any eau de anything. I never have. But I’m interested to try something sometime. So…where exactly do you spray it?

I'm an undersprayer. So, for me, it is a single shot to the base of the throat/top of the chest. I'll only ever pump twice if the bottle hasn't been used in a while and the first spray sputters or is just weak.

For most colognes, that is sufficient for me for a work day: I will still catch the occassional whiff in the afternoon, but it is entirely personal.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I normally give my EDT's a few squirts on the chest. One under the throat in the middle of the chest and then one either side. I used to do 5 sprays but I was the bloke that you could smell coming around the corner. LOTH and a few others have asked me to tone it down quite a bit.

Marco is generally right. You want to spray where your body naturally produces more heat. And those are the spots. That is also usually where I spray.

BUUUT.....

With certain scents, one cannot spray that much because they are too strong. I own a few fragrances where the only places I apply and sparingly are under clothing items...so for example, Floris Leather Oud (a fantastic and uber manly scent btw), I spray only on the lower neck and chest. One spray on the neck, one on the chest. Both places are covered by my dress shirt. It is a crazy long-lived scent and one with a lot of projection, so if I sprayed any more than that, I would overwhelm the general public.

With other scents, I can spray way more liberally, so I can spray my entire underarms etc and it is still in good taste.

Some spray heads allow you to spray depending on the force applied to the pusher (Mediterraneo is one of the niche houses that have this feature), so with those you can spray on all the spots but with less product. Other producers use spray heads that all dispense the same amount and that amount ranges from bottle to bottle.

Just experiment with it...I am close to a decade into the fragrance hobby and it took me years to figure out what I like and how I like to wear it.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I apply EDC and EDT in exactly the same way as aftershave, applied to the palms and from there to the face and neck. I am aware of the differences between the products and have read about spraying EDC and EDT on clothing and pulse points etc. I understand the theory, I simply prefer the aftershave way.

I've never heard anyone complain, "I can barely smell her/his perfume/cologne/aftershave"
On the other hand I know I'm not the only one that strongly dislikes the experience of being near someone that has doused themselves like they are trying to put out a fire. It is also very hard on those that are sensitive to scents.

I've always been told, skin not clothes, which makes sense in terms of body heat and activation. Also as has been said, if you do wrists, you want to rub your wrist/forearms together to spread it better. Trick if it is a strong scent (and isn't one that costs a fortune).. do a little spray in the air, and then walk into it. Or, sometimes you might try a small spray on a tissue, and then use that to dab the areas you want. A lot depends on how well something sprays, or not. I think some people that drown themselves just have bad spraying etiquette, it gives a huge fire hose amount, and it doesn't occur to them to do the tissue or air spray thing.

Small aside, ymmv, if it isn't 'everyday', but date/attraction kind of thing, for men and women, sometimes the chest spray only is nice... instead of smelling strongly like "HI its DATE NIGHT", it is the allure that over the evening (or whenever), as you chat/dance/sit close... the scent sort of works it way forward.

Top Bottom