What's new

Where do you wear your scents?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Pulse points for me.

The old Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel is my most obnoxious smelling stuff that I love. If I spray more than just the smallest amount, for the shortest duration, right in the middle of my chest, and cover it immediately with a tee shirt, a button down, AND a sweater, I will be shaken, AND stirred, and slapped into next WEEK by my lovely bride.

But there is something about the smell of "the bottom of my Grandmother's purse in a Bingo Hall in the 70's" that I just love.

But there is something about the smell of "the bottom of my Grandmother's purse in a Bingo Hall in the 70's" that I just love.
You should write for Fragrantica. I can picture your description better than “Top notes are Galbanum, Neroli, Petitgrain, Bergamot and Lemon; middle notes are Violet, iris, Geranium, Mimosa, Sage, Narcissus and Rose; base notes are Oakmoss, Vetiver, Cedar, Tonka Bean and Almond.”

As others mentioned, it depends on the potency and type of fragrance.
I live in a warm climate and wear lighter, citrus scents. I'll spray generously, chest, back, neck and arms. These scents normally dissipate quickly but linger long enough and you can always reapply.

A perfumer suggested spraying in the palm and using this concentrated palm stray to distribute on the neck. This works well for me. Although, I've found certain brands / frags do best applied to clothes directly.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Like some have mentioned here it all depends on the strength of the scent. For strong to medium one sprit on the back of the neck. For light scents one behind each ear.

I spritz some Mugler Cologne in the air and walk through it when I’m going to the office. I can get away with wearing it to work because it just smells like I took a shower with the fancy soaps at a high-end hotel. Gorgeous stuff.

When I’m relaxing at home and wearing my more challenging fragrances, I spray on the inner forearm closer to the elbow than wrist. I read years ago that you should avoid the wrists as something about the acidity in the sweat from your palms can impact the scent. Apparently spraying behind ears is the same. Why? Don’t know.

I'm an undersprayer. So, for me, it is a single shot to the base of the throat/top of the chest. I'll only ever pump twice if the bottle hasn't been used in a while and the first spray sputters or is just weak.

For most colognes, that is sufficient for me for a work day: I will still catch the occassional whiff in the afternoon, but it is entirely personal.
This is a first post, best post response if I have ever seen one. How much I apply varies a little by fragrance, but that's where I apply it (one blast in the described spot is perfect for Aventus, for example).

If it's something I haven't worn in a while, I will aim it straight up for a blast or two before applying.

And if you detect anything more than an occasional whiff throughout the day of whatever it is you are wearing, you are wearing too much.

Way too much.

Top Bottom