What's new

Where are my Peppers??

DDBD7C06-42ED-4718-AFC5-B8D8B6D264DB.jpeg
About 10 weeks ago I planted some peppers; habanero, jalapeno, and Thai.
Plants came up great, but still no peppers..no blossoms, nada. Any of you FFA alumni have an idea or three why?

Peppers are picky. Too cool or too hot and lousy production. Too much nitrogen produces lush growth but no flowers. Are they getting full sun, at least six hours a day?

Two tricks I learned years ago from a book no longer in print (Dick Raymond wrote it for Troy Built). When you plant the peppers put the heads of matches under the plant by the roots. Also, spray the plants with a mixture of Epsom salts (one teaspoon to four cups of water). These supplements add magnesium to the pepper plants.

No. Just water. Plenty of sun. Gave them a dose of Miracle Gro a few weeks back but that’s it. Epson salts? Never heard that one....

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My jalapeños were both planted at the same time. One started producing several weeks before the other. Now they seem to be on the same cycle, reproducing about equally after picking.

No. Just water. Plenty of sun. Gave them a dose of Miracle Gro a few weeks back but that’s it. Epson salts? Never heard that one....

If you can ever find it, look for the book "The Joy of Gardening" by Dick Raymond. He has more tips that work.

proxy.php

Peppers and tomatoes won't set fruit if it remains too hot through the night, i've seen mention of a threshold of 75F, flowers just fall from the plant. If they haven't even produced any flowers and you've lush green plants i'd say too much nitrogen.

Healthy plants should start to set fruit once nights get cooler and hopefully enough time after that for the fruit to grow to size and ripen before threat of a killer frost.

Abebooks has been great for finding used books, great prices/shipping.
AbeBooks | Shop for Books, Art & Collectibles

dave

My peppers and tomatoes have done absolutely nothing this year. The weather turned very dry fast, then the last half of July we were hitting 105-108. Watching some pepper plants I could see wilt, then water heavily, and unless I kept a soaker hose going, they would wilt again within a couple of days. Tomatoes so far have not been much larger than golf balls, and one plant is totally stunted finally reaching a height of 15-18". It did cool off a bit last week and I have a few bell peppers forming now. THe way things are looking I might get 20% of the cost of my plants back this year.

My peppers and tomatoes have done absolutely nothing this year. The weather turned very dry fast, then the last half of July we were hitting 105-108. Watching some pepper plants I could see wilt, then water heavily, and unless I kept a soaker hose going, they would wilt again within a couple of days. Tomatoes so far have not been much larger than golf balls, and one plant is totally stunted finally reaching a height of 15-18". It did cool off a bit last week and I have a few bell peppers forming now. THe way things are looking I might get 20% of the cost of my plants back this year.
I had that happen one year and it was cutworms at the bases of the stems.

Tomatoes and cucumbers have done pretty well so far. Especially the cukes...huge and tasty.
Weather has been warm, even up here in the mountains. Evenings have remained cool however (mid-lower 60s).
Still hoping for some peppers by fall. Gonna give the epsom salts a try.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
My banana peppers are ready to pick, and eggplants look good, but my tomatoes have done nothing.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
@Acmemfg

Actually your plants look just fine. Give them a few more weeks and I'm sure you'll be blessed with some flowers and fruit. Here is my tabasco plant. It gets full morning sun and scattered to full shade in the afternoon. They like to be fed so I use this with excellent results. Also, most pepper plants just like to grow slow.
20180701_150158.jpg
20180701_150248.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Horrible year for tomatoes for me, good cucumbers, fair green beans, bell peppers were late to flower and produce, but getting a good crop of yellow, orange and red bell peppers now.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@Acmemfg

Actually your plants look just fine. Give them a few more weeks and I'm sure you'll be blessed with some flowers and fruit. Here is my tabasco plant. It gets full morning sun and scattered to full shade in the afternoon. They like to be fed so I use this with excellent results. Also, most pepper plants just like to grow slow. View attachment 904523 View attachment 904524

Beautiful! Made a note to grow those next year!

AA

Top Bottom