What's new

When good lenses go bad

Sorry, a bit long...

So here I am basically in the middle of a week long vacation to the rural southern US and disaster has befallen my new-to-me (purchased used), EOS 28-300mm 3.5-5.6 L. The lens diaphragm no longer stops down.

I packed it for the trip in a well cushioned Pelican hard case and it along with all my other gear arrived safe and sound after a 16 hour road trip. Coincidentally we also had a 24 hour power outage due to a violent thunderstorm that swept through mid-afternoon Monday, so I had a lot of down time to evaluate what was going on with the lens.

On Monday, the first symptom was the push-pull zoom function didn't seem to want to fully settle back to the 28mm position, rather just a hair above the 28mm line inscribed on the barrel. Test photos indicated the lens was indeed at the 28mm position, according to data detail from my camera.

Tuesday morning and still without electricity here, I started toying with the lens again, this time noticing it was refusing to autofocus at any zoom position above about 150mm. What I believe had happened at some point is the diaphragm was stuck in a stopped down position because when I hit the camera depth of field preview, the diaphragm popped back open, but now the problem is it stays wide open and will no longer stop down. I can shoot fine as long as my lens aperture is the largest for that zoom position (f5.6 for the long end). If I stop down at all, the camera returns "Err 01 - There is a communication error with the lens. Clean your lens contacts" and no image is recorded.

I suspect the ribbon cable is kinked or broken. This cable has to extend or retract every time you change zoom settings and somehow mine had gotten out of position sufficient to get detached or is broken. There was no sudden blow, drop or bang that preceded this...it simply happened sometime between early Monday morning following our arrival, and later that afternoon.

So even though the lens is functional wide open, I've decided to return it to its case for the remainder of the trip and plan on returning it to a Canon authorized service center :( when I get home. Bummer, but that's life (and according to some, the reason they avoid push-pull zooms!).

Hope everyone is well. I'll still be infrequently on board due to intermittent internet access for a while, but in the meantime if you have a story to share about your "good lens gone bad", feel free to share.

Have a great day :)

stuff happens to all of us.

most of my lens failures have been caused by either my own negligent use or failure of the focus motor.

in the former category, i had a catastrophic incident while traveling to yellowstone via air with nikon 70-200mm lens attached to nikon d800 body in a padded checked bag, only to find it torqued and broken into two pieces at the lens flange due to stress. lost use of lens and body, but lucky to have alternate body and nearby nikon retailer. lesson here, NEVER transport a medium-to-tele lens attached to camera body for any long trip!

in latter case, focus motors (at least for nikon) are notorious for failure after extended use, in which case requires factory service.

good news for you is that canon's repair service is quite good.
have a good rest of your trip; use your cellphone for the wide angle shots!

Last edited:
Sorry to here that @Highspeedlane, typical it decides to happen when you go on a trip!!
I have been pretty lucky, mainly due to not having owned loads of lenses I guess! Only one has failed so far, an old Nikon 18-55 kit lens, af motor stopped, didn't bother fixing it and just sold it for spares/repairs.

It's always that way. You plan and things don't go as planned. Hope you packed a backup that covers that focal length.

When you get back home, look for a local repair person who has been doing things for decades. They should be able to tell you if it is worth repairing before you get too involved.

I'm lucky in that we have a "real" camera repair person here in town. He has worked on all of my lenses from my 35mm stuff through my massive #4 Compur electronic view camera shutter as well as my mechanical view camera shutters.

proxy.php

I was on vacation in Paris last week and was walking around with my Canon 6d. I got caught in the rain and instead of protecting my non-weather-sealed camera from the rain, I kept on snapping away and the camera body got all wet. I think that water got into the electronics in the camera body, because as it was not reacting properly to the control buttons. When I got back to my hotel, I was really upset but I tried taking the battery out and separating the lens and the camera and leaving it out overnight to dry. It worked! Lesson learned.

171015_Paris052.jpg

I was on vacation in Paris last week and was walking around with my Canon 6d. I got caught in the rain and instead of protecting my non-weather-sealed camera from the rain, I kept on snapping away and the camera body got all wet. I think that water got into the electronics in the camera body, because as it was not reacting properly to the control buttons. When I got back to my hotel, I was really upset but I tried taking the battery out and separating the lens and the camera and leaving it out overnight to dry. It worked! Lesson learned.

View attachment 832881

You bought a weather sealed system?

I've returned!

Sorry for the long absence. After losing a lens, enduring a power outage following a violent thunderstorm and being in an area relatively free of reliable internet access I'd say overall the trip was otherwise good :whistling:

I still have an enormous amount of work to catch up on (including packing my lens for the mail to Canon repair facility tomorrow). So much to do and so little time to do it in. I intend to find time somewhere to attempt to catch up on all I missed.

Many photos taken but mostly unworthy snapshots. Before signing off for the evening I wanted to share a macro shot of some aphid-type creatures on the stem of a flower on the backporch (if you know what they are let me know:)). To the naked eye they didn't appear as anything more that bumps but when I detected movement I broke out the 100mm f2.8 and ring light. Have a great day/night!

proxy.php

I've returned!

Many photos taken but mostly unworthy snapshots. Before signing off for the evening I wanted to share a macro shot of some aphid-type creatures on the stem of a flower on the backporch (if you know what they are let me know:)). To the naked eye they didn't appear as anything more that bumps but when I detected movement I broke out the 100mm f2.8 and ring light. Have a great day/night!
Hope the lens repair doesn't run too bad and the holiday went reasonably well, the bugs are aphids, a couple of ladybirds could sort out that, and give another photo op with the lens.

Hope the lens repair doesn't run too bad and the holiday went reasonably well, the bugs are aphids, a couple of ladybirds could sort out that, and give another photo op with the lens.

Appreciate that info. Hopefully repair costs won't hurt too much. Getting ready to start boxing it up for mailing :thumbup:

Did you get it back Lane!!!!

Hey Ice Man,

Yes the turn around time was only about 1 week. It was a pricey fix but it works like new now. I used the New Jersey repair center and they updated the status on their website from receipt to the work to the shipping. Very good service :thumbup:

Top Bottom