What's new

When did you start to relax and enjoy your shave?

I use DE for about 2 weeks now and have not found any sharp blade yet. Personna, Lord and Gillette were horrible. Tomorrow I will purchase some Feather blades....I expect a better shave......if not....then I will change the razor itself. The lather is ok, preshave is ok. If that does not work I will work on my technique.... If nothing works, I will stick back to my old Quattro.....which I dont want to.....

I find I'm most relaxed shaving when I'm not under any time pressure. Even if I get up early enough to have sufficient time for my usual shaving routine, I'm still glancing at the clock during it. So weekend and night shaves, which I do occasionally, are the best.

I'd say you are virtually guaranteed to have a poor shave if you are hurriedly dragging any sort of razor over your face.

I started enjoying my shaves before I ever got into DE shaving. I was using a crappy Schick disposable and Nivea canned foam and I enjoyed it.

My first DE shave remains one of the most enjoyable shaving experiences for me yet. It was over pretty fast, so since then I've been adding more passes just to extend the joy. As for your blade dilemma, I would consider getting a cheap sample kit from West coast shaving.com. It will give you samples of all the major blade manufacturers. There's bound to be something that works for you.

J

Jarmo P

About 3 months it took me. The dudes who persisted that DE is better than a pivot head cartridge kept me trying and I am slow sometimes. But I insisted trying to learn. And it was worth to do.

It is not just a few shaves to learn. And DE blades are also different. Some like Feather blades are really harmfull to my thin skin. I have been using them only on my Progress with a mild setting until recently I got a mint condition Tech. And the blade was still too much exfoliating in the second day of use. Even with that mild razor. And I turned to DE shaving quite some time back.

I consider having acquired quite a good technique and I still say Feather blades are not for my thin skin.

I need WTG XTG and ATG passes to get a good shave. with ATG passes you don't move your face musculars, that is a one hint I can give.

Good luck in learning. And you should not really judge a DE blade if it tugs, only how the shave results to be. You should be able to shave with the middle of the road blades or even Dorcos. It is all in the beard reduction before you go ATG.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was very nervous the first time I tried shaving with a DE. I didn't try for a close shave, but I still nicked myself once. The next shave I was a little less nervous and got a pretty good shave with no nicks. After getting comfortable shaving my face and nape, I tried shaving the hairs off my ears and got a couple more nicks, but now I am completely at ease with DE shaving. Especially when I have a Super Speed in my hand.

Recently, I've been experimenting with straight razor shaving and I was real anxious the first time with that, but I knew I'd be able to get the hang of it if I just took my time and didn't try for a close shave until I had some idea of how to shave with the implement I was trying out.

Really, it's been as enjoyable as only things that have some element of risk involved can be. I think this is part of being a male. I don't mean childish macho, I mean that I think it's built right into our male DNA to want to take risks, flirt with danger even in little ways. It rings a kind of bell that bowling just won't do. What I mean is, the nervousness at the start is a sure sign of a reward worth trying for.

J

Jarmo P

I forgot to say: Relax is the name of the game. And as I sayed started to enjoy that after those months. Key point is relax but still keep your skin fairly tight. When you shave your neck forinstance, tilt your head up a bit etc.

For me, I was able to relax during my shaves when I found products that didn't irritate my skin. I started to really enjoy my shaves when I started using a straight razor.

I started to enjoy my shave once I started using a brush and soap. Switching over to a straight made me really start to love shaving

There's no need to be nervous. Seriously, you do things every day that are 100 times more dangerous than DE shaving.

But it still is a very sharp razor in there, and it is easier to cut yourself if your attention wanders that the M3, or whatever. I've developed a technique that is now habit, and it makes it easy. Stay with it and it will come.

But it still is a very sharp razor in there, ...

Yes, and the sharper the better, IMHO.

I still THINK my way through a shave, but I don't WORRY about it anymore, if that makes any sense.

In other words, I don't just go willy nilly at my face like the guys on the Fusion commercials, but on the other hand I'm not "nervous" when I shave.

Top Bottom