What's new

When did aftershave splashes fall out of fashion? And why?

So I was reading another thread and it suddenly struck me as odd that aftershave splashes, once so common and varied, now have all but dried up (pardon the pun.) Sure you still have pinaud and aquavelva hanging around on the bottom shelves of most stores but they’re no longer advertised and there’s nowhere near the variety there once was. So when did this drop off occur? I think the last aquavelva ad i saw was in the very early 2000’s and that was it. What caused their sudden fall from grace? All this nonsense about “skin food” being good For your skin and splashes being bad? Failure to change scents with the times? Interested to see what you B&Ber’s think.

For me, the aftershave splash is the best part of the shave. I have over 120 aftershaves, and keep buying more. I certainly hope aftershave splashes remain in the market, but I won't be hurting if they don't...

Of course, I wouldn't have so many but for the artisans. Sure, I've got Pinaud Clubman (and The Veg and a couple others), Aqua Velva (vintage, two bottles), Skin Bracer (vintage, two bottles), English Leather (vintage, two bottles), Pashana (two bottles), etc. But I also have many, many bottles of splash created by artisans seeking to create a better post-shave experience.

Most off-the-shelf (and artisan) aftershaves are largely alcohol, scent and water. Unimpressive. Some add some "skin food." A rare few artisans make alcohol splashes that create a moisturizing post-shave experience. Maol Grooming, Chatillon Lux and Declaration Grooming are at the top of this heap, in my very large den. Chatillon wins the scent battle, Maol wins skin feel, and Declaration is a great combo. I encourage everyone to get beyond what aftershaves were during our dads' era (and I'm an old guy).

For me, the aftershave splash is the best part of the shave. I have over 120 aftershaves, and keep buying more. I certainly hope aftershave splashes remain in the market, but I won't be hurting if they don't...

Of course, I wouldn't have so many but for the artisans. Sure, I've got Pinaud Clubman (and The Veg and a couple others), Aqua Velva (vintage, two bottles), Skin Bracer (vintage, two bottles), English Leather (vintage, two bottles), Pashana (two bottles), etc. But I also have many, many bottles of splash created by artisans seeking to create a better post-shave experience.

Most off-the-shelf (and artisan) aftershaves are largely alcohol, scent and water. Unimpressive. Some add some "skin food." A rare few artisans make alcohol splashes that create a moisturizing post-shave experience. Maol Grooming, Chatillon Lux and Declaration Grooming are at the top of this heap, in my very large den. Chatillon wins the scent battle, Maol wins skin feel, and Declaration is a great combo. I encourage everyone to get beyond what aftershaves were during our dads' era (and I'm an old guy).

I too think it’s the best part of the shave and have about 25 different kinds. I had to stop myself hahahaha. I honestly think it’s been my biggest takeaway from DE shaving. I really think a whole generation (mine) is missing out on splashes and i find it a little sad.

I think it's a combination of the alcohol based splashes falling out of favor due to their lack of skin care properties combined with the fact that the skin food type splashes haven't had time to catch on yet. I think we're in a lull regarding splashes and that they could really take off over the next couple years. Jmho.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Perhaps aftershaves have fallen victim to the same virus that has infected the clean-shaven man. With the seemingly endless popularity of beards and stubble, I certainly would not spend marketing dollars pushing splashes.

I have about a dozen splashes in my small den; I love them all.

I like the simplicity of AS splashes, and for my acne-prone skin all this skin food / grease recently added to splashes is a bummer (why someone has decided to add shea butter or castor oil to an AS splash is beyond me). Particularly in hot weather, two hours after applying my skin is dripping in moist...

At the same time, my experience with Alcohol + Water + Scent (like Pinaud Clubman or Razorock) was not very good. Too much burn and irritation. Currently I am enjoying low glycerin, low witch hazel AS splashes like Penhaligon's or Harris. The British remain classic for a good reason. La Toja and the new Cella Bio are also very good and clean

There are many reasons why 50-100 years ago men's face looked great, and razor burn / breakouts were much less common. One of them is clearly the transformation of aftershaves (and overall shaving and men's grooming) into dermatology.

Last edited:
I think there are more aftershave products - of all varieties - than there ever were. Almost every commercial and "artisan" manufacturer lists dozens, just off the top of my head, GFT, T&H, DrH, A&E, B&M, T+S, CFG, CC, SW, M&M, Pinaud, Stirling - to name a few. You just don't see advertisements anymore, for just about anything shaving-related, except for the odd cart commercials (mostly Gillette) during NFL season. Shaving commercials have gone the way of Marlboro and the Dodo bird.

So when did this drop off occur?
I think the last aquavelva ad i saw was in the very early 2000’s and that was it.

I don't think there's been a drop off at all. Clubman Pinaud recently came out with 3 new scents (splashes, of course), multiple local pharmacies near me all carry multiple splash brands- Skin Bracer, Clubman (limited variety), Gillette Cool Wave, Nivea Deep Comfort, not to mention the knock-off generic varieties, and many small artisan makers produce splashes of various varieties that contain alcohol and are similar to the "classics."

As for advertising, it's true that there's none or very little to the general public, but that's true of many established products and brands.

One advantage of being older is that I no longer worry about what is in fashion!

Today it is ’designer’ beards and stubble, but I prefer to shave daily. I enjoy a splash to end my shave.

When I need to work in ‘fragrance free’ environments, I pick something soothing with a short-lasting scent. (Lucky Tiger is great!) Otherwise, I pick something that will please me and, of course, the LOTH!! :a29: :a29:

Growing up in the canned goo and cartridge only era. I only used balms because my skin would dry out from the goo. The cartridges never caused nicks and irritation that could benefit from the antiseptic benefits of aftershave. Also the common perception that they were alcohol based and would further dry out my skin, I saw no need. If I wanted to smell nice, I skipped A/S and went to a cologne.

Only getting into DE and soaps have I learned the real purpose andbenefits of aftershaves.

I really like using aftershave splashes... modern and vintage ones. Used some old Avon Tai Winds this morning, it felt great. I prefer simple ones during summer (humid) months: water, alcohol, perfume, glycerine, maybe some witch hazel. Winter/dry months: same thing plus one oil. That's it.

I still see plenty of modern ones available in stores: Pinaud, Aqua Velva, Stetson, Gillette, Skin Bracer, Brut... I'm sure I am forgetting some, but they can all be found at CVS, Walmart as well as small local shops. They don't advertise them much, that's true.

Last edited:
The mid to late 80s is when people started to gravitate toward balms and there was a big "alcohol = bad" push. That's when I started shaving and everyone I knew used gillette aftershave gel or lotion (creamy).

I rarely use an aftershave splash. It seems like most of them are alcohol based and many contain menthol. My skin will not tolerate either. Also, some contain high concentration of scent notes that are also irritants: lemon, lime, grapefruit, clove, cinnamon, etc.

Just finished off a nice three-pass shave using a Colonial General razor and vintage OS soap with liberal application of vintage OS splash. Wonderful and refreshing. It's not out of fashion with me.

Top Bottom