What's new

When did aftershave splashes fall out of fashion? And why?

The shelf space is occupied by 47 brands of beard balm, beard oil, beard butter, beard wax, beard wax remover, beard soap, man bun styling gel.... I'm lucky if I find Aqua Velva or Old Spice in most stores. Fortunately my drug store still stocks Clubman.

Man bun styling gel cracked me up good!

I rarely use an aftershave splash. It seems like most of them are alcohol based and many contain menthol. My skin will not tolerate either. Also, some contain high concentration of scent notes that are also irritants: lemon, lime, grapefruit, clove, cinnamon, etc.
This is such a shame. This morning after my shavette shave I applied a generous amount of Stirling Satsuma splash with menthol. Pretty much alcohol, menthol, and citrus notes.

I love it, and my skin seems to love it, too.

This is such a shame. This morning after my shavette shave I applied a generous amount of Stirling Satsuma splash with menthol. Pretty much alcohol, menthol, and citrus notes.

I love it, and my skin seems to love it, too.

Yeah, it is a shame. Having sensitive skin makes many things in life more difficult, but shaving seems to be the most affected.

Ha. I won’t buy a soap unless it has a splash to compliment it. Well, I didn’t. I didn’t until I discovered Fine’s line of aftershaves.

Either way, I use a splash after every shave.

Ha. I won’t buy a soap unless it has a splash to compliment it. Well, I didn’t. I didn’t until I discovered Fine’s line of aftershaves.

Either way, I use a splash after every shave.

If I had an alcohol based splash to match every soap in my den, I would have nearly 12 gallons of flammable liquid in my shave den.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I was not aware they were becoming short in supply.

I have dry skin and have no interest in using alcohol, and prefer to be free to choose any cologne for the day I like (rather than coordinate with the lingering scent of AS).

But for some people they are the cat's meow.

Thoroughly enjoyed all the replies and i think most have some element of the truth in them. To clarify though, i meant more why it had fallen “out of fashion” than suggesting that it was no longer able to be found. I think the internet has really revolutionized choice in all things so i believe those of us in the “wet shaving community” probably have more choice in aftershaves then anyone did in its heyday. That said, i don’t know too many guys who use a splash these days which is why i posted the thread. Probably should’ve been more articulate with my initial question. Either way, the replies were great so i think many people got what i meant.

Top Bottom