What's new

when and how often to strop? Which Strop and does the quality of the strop matter?

Prior to the other day, I would strop about 20 passes on my cheap, leather strop, which seems to work and then get to work.

Following the shave, I'd dry off the razor and strop it about 10-20 passes on the denim strop, followed by another 20 -30 on the leather strop.

I read somewhere, that you should not strop the razor right after the shave? I'm really confused now.

Today shave, which was decent, I didn't strop following the shave. I did about 20 passes pre shave on a freshly honed razor with one or 2 shaves on it.

I started stropping after I shave on leather (I only have leather ), hoping to dry the blade.

Some theorize that resting the steel helps the edge to recover on its own. I have elected to ignore that theory, assuming that it does not matter much. Jody

I do not strop after shaving, never have. I don't believe you need to let the steel rest for too long but I wait till the next morning anyway.
I strop the next morning for the following shave. I shave every other day.
60-80 strokes are a minimum on leather, almost never use linen.

I do not strop after shaving, never have. I don't believe you need to let the steel rest for too long but I wait till the next morning anyway.
I strop the next morning for the following shave. I shave every other day.
60-80 strokes are a minimum on leather, almost never use linen.
60-80 stroke. Is a stroke one full pass (back and forth) or a 1/2 pass,

I strop on linen and leather before and after each shave, and even a little between passes. Not sure if quality of the leather matters, but different leathers have different feedbacks.

I have heard that shell leather has more silica in it than other leathers, which might mean it works better. Not sure though.

I strop on linen and leather before and after each shave, and even a little between passes. Not sure if quality of the leather matters, but different leathers have different feedbacks.

I have heard that shell leather has more silica in it than other leathers, which might mean it works better. Not sure though.
How many passes do you do in each strop? Both before and after, please? Thanks

How many passes do you do in each strop? Both before and after, please? Thanks

I don't count, but probably 15 linen and 30-40 leather before, 10 linen and 20 leather after. In between passes 5 linen and 10 leather. This works best for my coarse hair and sensitive skin.

Strop before and after every shave.

About 20 leather 10 fabric after a shave.

Before a shave I’ll do maybe 50ish leather and 20 fabric.

Yes fabric first. Guess I wrote it in the wrong order.

As long as your technique is good stropping won’t hurt the edge. I do 100 fabric then 200 leather sometimes just to zen out.

Stropping whenever is OK. It does not damage to the blade if done correctly.

The old saw about not stropping directly after a shave, I believe, comes from Dovo. Since then there has been overwhelming evidence posted here and elsewhere that such advice from Dovo is in error.

Strop when you like.

Chris

No need to rest a blade before stropping. I strop immediately after shave and clean, about 50-80 depending how it feels. IMO generally leather does not make a huge difference, the difference IMO is how you strop, speed and pressure typically determines the outcome. With that said leather type and condition will determine the draw and feedback.

I strop before I shave, about 30 to 40 on linen, 60 to 80 on leather. After I shave, about 20 on linen to dry the bevel and its put away. I figure why go to leather after I use the linen after a shave because I'm starting with linen in the beginning again anyways the next time I use my blade.

Its all a matter of preference.

Larry

First on a grindstone, then on an oilstone, then on a steel. Then on leather, satin and silk, followed by a cobweb and the breeze at dawn; and it still wasn't sharp enough..., finally sharpened on the light of a new day.
- Reaper Man, Discworld

In reality my stropping is always before a shave and something like 15 - 20 canvas, followed by 25-30 leather. After a shave might do 3-5 on canvas to ensure the edge is dry. After polishing the edge on a 12000 synthetic stone, I might do 50-60 laps on leather.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Right after shaving and drying the blade with tissue paper I strop on fabric, then leather, then fabric, then leather. Maybe 50 round trips max.

Beach.Strop.2019.1.640.JPG

My current leather is the heavy shell strop sold by Superior Shave. From France I believe. Really great strop in my view. In the photo it's on a beach trip in a rental house. Sometimes these are out of stock. Mine came from the BST.

In my opinion the quality of the strop matters but probably not as much as many gentlemen believe. While I love my strops and am happy to have put some money in really good ones I also know that at least one very experienced and informed and respected member says this cheap strop sold on eBay is plenty good; I've not used it. He's not saying every cheap strop is good; just this one.

Before shaving I might or might not strop on fabric but I always strop on leather about 50 or 60 round trips. Probably I use the fabric too more often than not.

upload_2019-9-21_12-7-34.png

At one time I stropped only once between shaves but was advised to do what I do now. I believe after shaving + before shaving is the way to go.

I sometimes use linen and sometimes denim. I'm not entirely convinced anything other than leather matters, but I'm not convinced the fabric doesn't matter either.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom