What's new

What's your signature scent?

GIT good stuff! At least I hope is still is good. I became a "Fragrance Head" back around early 2000 spending waaay too much time (and money) on Colognes/Fragrances of all sorts and being a very active member of Basenotes. Back then, I purchased (from another Basenotes member) a bottle of CREED "Millesime Tabarome". I have never been more crazy in love with a fragrance more than the original Millesime Tabrome Creed Cologne. Flash forward today.....I have a "decant" of Creed Tabarome and it just appears to (smell) like a shadow of it former self. Different no doubt due to all these NEW rules governing Fragrances. Such a pity. I have little doubt this is why (especially) sealed/NIB boxes/bottles of vintage Fragrance command such CRAZY high prices.

Are you sure what you had before was not the honest to goodness Creed "vintage" Tabarome, launched in 1875 and one on-line source says re-released in 2010, although I do not remember a re-release, rather than the later, launched in 2000, Millesime Tabarome? You are not the only one who has had that reaction to vintage Tabarome. As far as I can tell, Millesime Tabarome was never intended to smell much like the vintage. If it was, it was an utter failure in that respect. To me it is an okay Creed scent, but not much to write home about. Whereas the vintage is incomparable.

I have no idea whether new rules had anything to do with this. For one thing, I have never had any 2010 re-release.

I do have some "vintage" Creed Virgin Island Water. It blows the current VIG version right out of the water as far as quality, strength, and whatever other criteria for a scent one might have. I have no idea why a lime/coconut fragrance first released in 2007 would go down so far in quality. Folks trying the current version must truly wonder why VIG could be considered an important frag.

Hi @The Knize, I am pretty sure what I had was NOT the "vintage" Tabarome. This would of been around 2000-2001 when I purchased bottle. I also later owned a few other CREED Fragrances I've enjoyed during those early years such as GIT and Millesime Imperial, Boris du Portugal, etc. I don't believe I ever sampled the VIW then again, I may have tried. Sadly, I find most all Fragrances today just don't compare in quality to days past. https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Creed/Tabarome-470.html

Interesting, SixCats! Sounds like you bought the Tabarome Millesime, shortly after it was first released.

<I don't believe I ever sampled the VIW then again, I may have tried.>

I think I had sampled VIW several times over the years, and was never much taken by it until fairly recently.

<Sadly, I find most all Fragrances today just don't compare in quality to days past.>

That is sad. I think you are certainly right for many scents and for scents overall. It kind of screws up scents as a hobby. I got some vintage Polo. It may even be an after shave concentration. I used some the other day and it was strikingly wonderful, with exceptionally long legs. I am on record on this forum as to my unhappiness with what Aramis (whoever owns the Aramis label these days) did with Havana on its reissue. Certainly other relatively inexpensive scents are shadows, if that of their former selves. British Stirling comes to mind for some reason. For some scents it is understandable. No sandalwood dependent scent can possibly be the same today as it was in, say, even the 1960s. Oakmoss does seem to be an issue given Euro regulations. But I think other scentmaking is even better than in the past. I do not think there was as much creativity in the niche market in the past. Synthetics have gotten better and better.

Hi Knize....yea, it's rather sad the current state of many Fragrances. Not only am I disappointed with Creed but, one of my all time favorites (while still pretty good) is no where as strong/rank/lovely as it once was.....I'm speaking of my beloved L'Artisan DZING! The original "Circus Lady riding Tiger" label. My current favorite is Santa Maria Novell "Acqua di Cuba" and I also VERY much love Santa Maria Novell "Nostalgia". A few years ago, I again sampled KOUROS (which I use to own) and I wanted to cry! Oooooh, so damn disappointing how "lame" KOUROS has become. BODY Kouros still seems pretty good however. My FAVORITE (was budget) Fragrance is CARON "YATAGAN". It use to be available REALLY cheap on line however, I believe I am part responsible for making "Yatagan" more popular due to my having started "YATAGAN DAY" (a few years ago) at Basenotes. Ugggh. I have learned from my past however.....I ordered myself an extra 200-300 Gillette NACET (Russian) Blades before posting/singing their praises on several Facebook Shaving hobby sites! lol Oooh, I've also "sampled" KNIZE TEN.......LOVE it!

Great post, SixCats!. Glad to have you posting here after you have spent a lot of time on Basenotes. Good to have the cross pollination, so to speak. I do not know L'Artisan very well.

<My current favorite is Santa Maria Novell "Acqua di Cuba" and I also VERY much love Santa Maria Novell "Nostalgia".>

Oh heck yes! AsC is unique and wonderful. I do not remember Nostalgia so well, but SMN is a wonderful house. Peau d'Espagne has been my next up full bottle, full price purchase for a long time--a decade maybe. (I very rarely buy full bottles at full price!)

<I again sampled KOUROS (which I use to own) and I wanted to cry!>

All I have is a decant of vintage. I am so sorry to know that. Such an iconic scent. So evocative.

I own a bottle of Yatagan, but have never been able to get into it. It is iconic, too, though. I kind of feel that way about all the Caron masculines. I full get them. They are very important scents. I want to smell them often. I just do not love wearing them as much as I do other scents. Neil Chapman tells me it was huge in 1970s leather culture, which is very remote from what I am interested in, but I admit it makes me admire the scent all the more.

I had not worn Knize Ten for probably years, but I dug some out this past week. Still a killer scent to me. Powerful. Ever evolving on the skin. Filled with scent notes one might not think would smell good or belong in a scent to wear. Probably some overlap with Nostalgia. I think Imaginary Authors' Cobra and the Canary sort of references K10. I am not sure I could wear it every day. But if they put a gun to my head and made me choose a single scent to wear forever, it could be it. Or Pens BB, or Duoro, or maybe vintage Kouros, or, who knows, maybe Peau d'Espagne. It is a fun "hobby."

Hi @The Knize , Man, I have GOT to try "Peau d'Espagne ! Pd'E has loong been one of my most wanted to "try" fragrances as I love the House of SMN. I am trying hard NOT to "fall down the Rabbit hole" of Fragrances again as I have VERY expensive taste (if you will) in Colognes (especially NICHE fragrances). I had (about a year or so ago) purchased a large amount of sample/decants of "Niche" Fragrances that I've slowly been testing over a long period of time. I find that I would love to own damn near a dozen bottles of these fragrances.....of course, the cost would be over a GRAND! Uggggh. Heck (me trying to get a grip) I'm even having a difficult time just trying to choose ONE of these (sampled) fragrances. I LOVE the (so called by many) rank/stinky/odd/off beat/weird/Animalic/etc. fragrances.

MY TOP CONTENDERS (as of 2/29/2020)

Serge Lutens "MUSC KOUBLAI KHAN" ($$$$)
Masque Milano "MONTECRISTO"
Boadicea the Victorious "COMPLEX"
Etat Libre d'Orange "MARQUIS DE SADE"
Rania J. "OUD ASSAM"
Diptyque "OUD PALAO"
Bogue "MAAI"
Etat Libre d'Orange "RIEN INTENSE"
Imaginary Authors "BULLS BLOOD"
Zoologist "BAT"
Papillon "SALOME"
Mazzolari "LUI"
Mancera "RED TOBACCO"
Knize 'TEN"
Etat Libre d' Orange "CHEROGNE"
Santa Maria Novella "MARESCIALLA"

1583013715476.png

rank/stinky/odd/off beat/weird/Animalic/etc. fragrances.

Your desctiption is apt for the few ones I have tried that you list! Mostly a sign of sophisticated tastes, perhaps. I think historically scents have been loaded with such notes.

MUSC KOUBLAI KHAN is really not for me. I have a small sample I test from time to time, but it is just not me!

I am liking Rania J as a house. I do not know if I have had that one.

Imaginary Authors "BULLS BLOOD", I would have said it is a little different, but pretty easily accessible. I( understand why it is on the list though.

Mazzolari "LUI"--oh yet, yeah. Patchoulli worn by a Russian mobster. Wonderful stuff.

Knize 'TEN"--A difficult scent. Leather and gasoline. Floral and funk. The smell of a steampunk factory. Great scent making.

I know some of the others more by reputation than by scent memory. I seem to be missing actual experience with many of them!

Again, I own few whole bottles of anything. Scents as a hobby is an expensive thing indeed if you go for whole bottles!

I am kind of chickening out on buying a whole bottle of SMN Peau d'Espagne. Does anyone own this one? If so, do you end up wearing it? Does it seem highly unusual or too old-fashioned or non-wearable scent like, etc.?

I like the way it smells and was looking for a new leather. I guess I am thinking maybe it smells like something other than a wearable fragrance. Or might be something I do not end up wearing very often for whatever reason.

The local SMN store being open totally inconvenient hours with no parking nearby is not helping. First world problem, I know.

Hi @The Knize I don't own a bottle of SMN Pd'E however, owning two other SMN, I tend to wear them less often, NOT because I don't LOVE SMN (my current FAVORITE House) but because they are too expensive (at least for me) to wear daily. Food for thought....I just made a (somewhat large) purchase of four bottles of Cologne by the House of Lalique. I am of the opinion that Lalique offer "Niche" quality at a fraction of the price of "Niche" Colognes. I started with a bottle (which I bough on sale last year) of Lalique :
1583422214285.png

Well, I went a little.....Nuts in the Head yesterday and I ordered four bottles of Cologne! Prior to my collecting Razors (a YEAR ago this month) I am a loooong time member (early 2000's) of "Basenotes.net". Over the years, I amassed quite a collection of Fragrances (and spent one Hell of a lot of money in the process). I admit to having a FRAGRANCE HEAD relapse the last few days and I have been crazy researching Colognes to purchase. Uggggh, as if I don't already have a CLOSET FULL of excellent (both Designer & NICHE) Colognes/Aftershaves to wear/use but, as is with R.A.D./Razors, I felt it time to switch it up a bit and try something new & different Fragrance wise. I purchased the following four Fragrances by the "House of Lalique". Oooh, I should mention, Lalique Fragrances (IMHO) are NICHE quality Fragraces offered (today) at CLOSE OUT prices! Tis' why I purchase four bottles! Mind you, these four bottles (total cost) was LESS than what I use to pay for just ONE "Niche" bottle of Cologne. So, me thinks I did good!

1583422429828.png

Loved Encre Noir! My bottle ran out last fall, never re-upped. For the price i probably should.

My go to for a hot date is Blue De Chanel.

Encre Noir is a great scent. I do not otherwise know Lalique that well.

I am pleased there seems to be a resurgence in love for and interest in SMN. It is a wonderful house.

<but because they are too expensive (at least for me) to wear daily>

I find a full bottle of anything lasts me a lifetime, even if I end up sharing it with others. SMN is $125 for 100 ml locally, plus tax. $1.25 a ml is relatively inexpensive for me. By the time one buys into a split and pays the cost of the decant bottle and shipping spread over, say, 10 ml, the per ml price is much higher. I find even 10 ml lasts a long while, but I must have more than 100 scents. Of course, getting 100 ml of Art of Shaving Vetiver Citron for $19 or whatever it was at TJ Maxx or Brooks Brothers New York for around $24, brings down the average cost per ml. I doubt I spend more than $1 a day on scents. Seems to me an mll of juice is quite a bit to apply. Just my two cents to to speak.

Sorry to be helping you down the road to relapse, SixCats! But we are glad to have you here. I find my interest in scents comes and goes and, of course, I have a massive number of them, too. Mostly decants. I seem to be full on back into it now. As another B&B member once told me when I was getting started with straight razors and was noting the high cost, "well, they are cheaper than my other interests, 911s, Cessnas, and Pauillacs." There are more expensive obsessions!

Top Bottom