What's new

What's your Mexican recipes?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wow Aaron...that looks fantastic.

Are you sure you didn't steal that picture from some website? :biggrin:

I feel bad for the people who go to the island and stay at an all inclusive resort and miss out on all the fantastic reasonably priced food, and interacting with the wonderfully friendly locals at their favorite places.

I hear ya. We stayed at an all inclusive ONCE...the very first time I went there. Never again. It was the Diamond resort then, I think it's Allegro now. We took step-daughter and her hubby to the Fiesta Americana several years ago and they want to do the AI stuff for breakfast and lunch, but I like to go to the local places. I also prefer to stay closer to downtown so it's easy to walk to a restaurant.

Next time you're there stop by El Caracol for lunch one day. It's a couple of blocks north of Juarez, but I can't remember if it's on Ave. 45 or the next one. A taxi will get you there and then you will know where it's at if you want to go back. Alex's uncle David Tovar (I've know David for 20 years) owns the Sea Scuba dive shop, about a half block from the plaza on the north side of Juarez. Alex was our dive master when we did San Juan/Barracuda reefs...that was a blast. Alex also showed me how to properly make a Michelada one evening when we took him out and treated him to drinks. Boy, that's been more years ago than I care to remember...we were at Carlos and Charlie's at the old location north of the plaza.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Picadillo

$005.jpg$006.jpg

Boy, that's been more years ago than I care to remember...we were at Senor Frog's at the old location north of the plaza.

Us too when we were there on our honeymoon 19 years ago, lots has changed since then, and like everywhere some of it good, some of it not so good. Agree with staying close to downtown, we have been staying at the El Cantil condos across the street from the Mega and Chendrau stores the last few times. Convenient location, and the stores across the street have great deli sections with multiple varieties of fresh salsa and ceviches.

So I guess my recipe for good Mexican food is a plane ticket and a hotel reservation.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
El Cantil is niiiiice...Prima's still upstairs from when they moved from the plaza? I haven't ate there since they moved.

If you get by El Caracol let me know if it's still open; been a few years since I've been to the island...used to go every year. Guess I could email David and see if Alex still has it...or contact Christi Courtney...haven't talked to her in a couple of months. You ever go out with her shop? She's a bit high for me and I usually use David or Blue Angel.

I like your recipe for Mexican food...I wanna make it pretty soon. :biggrin1:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439320588.510872.jpg

This is the best picture I had of my favorite Mexican dish - carne asada!

The night before I'll prepare the marinade:
1 corona or other Mexican beer
2 limes (squeezed and then dropped in bowl)
1 orange (squeezed and dropped in bowl)
Half handful of cilantro
Little bit of chopped green onion

Let the flank steak sit in that overnight and grill them up when you're ready! We usually cut up the flank steaks and do tacos but I've seen it served just as a steak with red rice and beans.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nice Adam. I grilled some carne asada out of some ribeye last Sunday but didn't take any pics. I'll plate the leftover tonight and snap a pic. I let it sit overnight in a rub...an ancient, secret family spice recipe passed down to me from me Tia in Uvalde. :001_smile

proxy.php

I think I'll try your marinade next time...I have about 8 or 9 more ribeyes out in the deep freezer. I also really like your beer koozie.

You are getting off easy.

He hasn't got off easy just yet, Aaron. He hasn't posted any pics., although I doubt he has any. I don't remember taking pictures of any of the wonderful meals I've had in San Miguel.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That was before we went all crazy snapping pictures for this forum. My wife says at almost every meal now, "aren't you going to snap a shot?":001_rolle :blink:

:lol::lol::lol:

I hear ya bro.

Bob, I'm sure you are aware of the Caribbean Queen that was just outside of town, when you take the eastern route out of town on the island road. Alex took a dive bud and I there one evening (and yes, we fully knew what it was). An armed guard met us at the gate but with Alex with us we got right in. It was a four walled "compound" like place, with two stories of rooms on the inside like a motel, with the cantina in the middle. We had a few beers (there were several armed guards inside also) and watched the "dancers" for awhile, and Maria I think it was, sat at the table with us and we bought her a few drinks. When we left, Alex advised that since we didn't partake of the "offerings" of the establishment it might be a good idea to leave a tip. I deferred to Alex's advise.

When we walked out of the back door of the cantina, and I looked up at the walls surrounding us, the last scene from the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid movie flashed through my mind for some reason.
proxy.php

With Alex with us we were perfectly safe though...I think.

I drove by there the year after hurricane Wilma ravaged the island and that place was LEVELED.

Last edited:
El Cantil is niiiiice...Prima's still upstairs from when they moved from the plaza? I haven't ate there since they moved.

If you get by El Caracol let me know if it's still open; been a few years since I've been to the island...used to go every year. Guess I could email David and see if Alex still has it...or contact Christi Courtney...haven't talked to her in a couple of months. You ever go out with her shop? She's a bit high for me and I usually use David or Blue Angel.

I like your recipe for Mexican food...I wanna make it pretty soon. :biggrin1:

Yes Prima is still at the top of the building, I have only had breakfast there. Most of the times we have rented a condo there they have included breakfast at Prima as part of the rental fee, it's really a nice arrangement. Breakfast upstairs, go across the street for chips/sauce/ceviche for afternoon snack/lunch and beer to bring back to the condo and then out on the town for dinner.

I had only heard tales of the Carribean Queen, but never actually visited, could never talk my wife in to going for some strange reason. I need to get back soon. Last year we went to Isla Mujeres thinking it would be a good substitute for Cozumel. Not even close, IMO.

PS- I think I do have some meal photos I can dig up, I'll check.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I wonder why your SWMBO didn't want to visit that tourist attraction. :001_smile

Guess I'd better post some pics. in my own thread.

Skirt steak marinaded in me Tia's secret spice rub overnight.

proxy.php

Grilled.

proxy.php

Sliced.

proxy.php

On tortilla with sauteed onions and bell pepper.

proxy.php

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That looks fantastic...I don't think I've been to La Pealita...so many good places to eat I haven't tried them all. I'm sure you have been to La Cocay. Dining in the garden area out back is great; I've played darts inside quite a bit. I've been going there since '95. Very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks fantastic...I don't think I've been to La Pealita...so many good places to eat I haven't tried them all. I'm sure you have been to La Cocay. Dining in the garden area out back is great; I've played darts inside quite a bit. I've been going there since '95. Very nice.

Never been, I have heard that it is excellent though. Next time........

Last edited by a moderator:
Here ya go Mike:

Bean Soup
Ingredients
I Lb ground beef or turkey
2 can of Pinto Beans
1 can of Black Beans
1 can of Corn
I small can of tomato sauce
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of Rotel Tomatoes
I small can of diced black olives
1 Package of Ranch Dressing
1 Package of your favorite Taco Seasoning
Process
In a large pot brown the beef or turkey. Throw all ingredients into pot except the Ranch Dress pack. Bring everything to a boil them throw in Ranch Dressing Pack. Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. S&P to taste.

LOL! Aaron, are you using your typewriter on the internet again?

Using I's and O's for ones and zeroes.....
proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
LOL! Aaron, are you using your typewriter on the internet again?

Using I's and O's for ones and zeroes.....
proxy.php

My first "keyboarding" class was on an old Royal manual typewriter. I have an old Royal portable now.

On the portable:

Lower case L is the one.

An exclamation point is the period, backspace and hit apostrophe.

And so on and so forth.

Top Bottom