What's new

What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Get ‘em. In the blink of an eye, you could end shaving daily and be bladeless and scruffy 84 years from now.

Never mind. It will be finally time to retry the Injectors at that point
LOL.... I've been looking at my two injectors I inherited from my Mother.... I've had reason to get into the thin tackle boxes in which they are stored. Other than those two aluminum razors I had up for sale the other day..No one was interested, it seems, I only have a few razors I haven't used yet... The 1953 Y2 SuperSpeed that is about to go out for a face lift at Back Roads Gold. It's already packed up with the other razors Chris is going to re-plate for me. I'll use it when it returns back home.... That leaves just those G4 and G8 Schick injectors.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I only have one pack of Schick China blades and one with that guy's name I can't seem to remember. I think they are just Personna blades. They are in a white package... no label.. Just plain white. I've read here they aren't that great... My mistake? I loaded a Schick in one and the Personna?? in the other one but I have no idea which one is in which. Stupid newbie....

So, if I end up liking the Schick injectors, I'll need to buy more blades. <eg>

I just cut my finger good taking off the wax from a Nacet with a micro cloth.... I think I'm being careful... but sometimes, I'm not... the wax on the Nacets is something else.. two huge globs in the middle of the blade.. it gets on both sides. It is annoying but I do love using the blades or I wouldn't put up with it. <eg>
I think the best way to deal with the wax spots is to simply ignore them. I've found that after the first time I rinse my razor in warm/hot water they're gone.

I have read so many posts with complete opposite experiences with GSB. Seems to be a really well loved blade but I've also noticed that many GSB lovers also like Astra and I don't like Astra so... Anyway I decided I better try GSB while I can still get them and see for myself what they are all about. My Amazon Subscribe and Save is shipping in a couple of days so I put a 100pack of GSB in there and saved a few dollars. Very curious to see how they compare to the PermaSharp Super which I love and have a healthy supply.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think there are three in-production injector blades that come in injector cases:
  • Schick
  • Parker/Taconic/Personna/Supply white/Ted Pella (most say these are the same maker)
  • Supply Black
Thanks, @spacemonkey42 . I have a package of the Ted Pella. I couldn’t come up with his name. I tried googling injector blades but the name didn’t come up.

Thanks again.

From my limited experience with injectors I liked the Ted Pella/Personna blade but haven’t tested the Chinese Schicks yet. I did get about 10 shaves with an old vintage Schick Krona Chrome and think the new Ted Pella is better. I have quite a few vintage Schick injector blades I haven’t tried yet I got in a package deal.

Space Monkey forgot one blade on that list and it’s a Schick B-20 made in Japan. It’s different then their regular Chinese ones and doesn’t come with a key so you have to load them in another injector yourself to use them. They are also rounded on the edges so may not fit every injector and if they do the blade may have more exposure.

I just got some in but haven’t tried them yet since I’ve got so many DE blades to test.

I should probably try that. I’m a one and done DE guy. The wax probably won’t matter. I’ve heard it can gunk up a razor so I’ve always removed it.
My water heater is set to 118 and must not be hot enough to melt most waxes because most don’t dissolve unless I run it under the water a long time and wipe it and that’s only with certain blades like the Astras.

I used to clean the wax off some blades but found it pointless for most. It does leave some wax spots on your razor but it’s easy to remove that with a microfiber towel or warm water. The only time I remove wax now is on my old GSB blades that have wax over the edge of the blade or if a new blades wax starts to dissolve over the edge of the blade.

Are your Nacets the older plain wrapper or newer ones with wording? It seems like the wax on the older ones is harder and doesn’t become a runny mess like those new ones but it’d also be harder to remove if you planned to.

On your one and done shave, did you ever go longer then that? I often only use a blade once and put it up to use later but that’s because I’m testing out blades all the time. Most blades are just as sharp on the second shave for me and some are still close to that on the 3rd shave but usually by the 4th I can tell a noticeable difference but it’s still very usable. My point is it may be worth going at least 2 shaves per blade to see if it works for you. Especially if the Nacets aren’t around in the future you may regret tossing them. Maybe all these blades you only use once just wipe them down and store them in a baggie/drawer for future use.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I started out with AC blades... and took them to 6 shaves. I've reduced them to 3 these days. With a DE blade, I have never been able to make a blade last longer than mid-3rd shave... Th ey are so dull by that point, I've had to change them out in the middle of a shave. It's annoying to the extreme... The lather on my face dries up, etc., etc., etc.

I was taking them through a second shave for a while... but I noticed a decline in their performance during that second shave... I have never seen that sharpness/smoothness boost after the first shave... So I joined the one and done group.

All my Nacets have the printing on the paper.

200 Perma Sharp
Why? Because they were on sale.

IMG_0611.jpeg

200 Perma Sharp
Why? Because they were on sale.

View attachment 1841959
Were the Permasharps just on sale again this week? I must have missed it. I’d like to stock up on some more myself even though they aren’t my favorite perhaps I’ll find a certain razor that prefers them in the future.

Phoenix, I don’t blame ya for tossing them after a single use if that’s your results. Certain blades decline much faster then others. Most blades are good on the 2nd shave for me but certain ones have a little bit of decline. By the 3rd shave it’s much more noticeable depending on the blade but most of my favorites are still good for me.

If I wanted to get peaks performance out of every blade I’d likely bin them after the 2nd shave. But from memory I think the Astra SP decline a bit after the 1st shave even though I could push them to 3-4 shaves and find them a great blade overall.

Your beard must be extremely coarse since mine is on the coarser side and I don’t have issues on the 2nd shave with most blades. It would be nice to have a way to gauge beard coarseness and skin sensitivity since it seems like most people here have a coarse beard with sensitive skin. I’d say my skin is slightly sensitive and my beard coarser then average but I don’t go around rubbing other guys faces.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Were the Permasharps just on sale again this week? I must have missed it. I’d like to stock up on some more myself even though they aren’t my favorite perhaps I’ll find a certain razor that prefers them in the future.

Phoenix, I don’t blame ya for tossing them after a single use if that’s your results. Certain blades decline much faster then others. Most blades are good on the 2nd shave for me but certain ones have a little bit of decline. By the 3rd shave it’s much more noticeable depending on the blade but most of my favorites are still good for me.

If I wanted to get peaks performance out of every blade I’d likely bin them after the 2nd shave. But from memory I think the Astra SP decline a bit after the 1st shave even though I could push them to 3-4 shaves and find them a great blade overall.

Your beard must be extremely coarse since mine is on the coarser side and I don’t have issues on the 2nd shave with most blades. It would be nice to have a way to gauge beard coarseness and skin sensitivity since it seems like most people here have a coarse beard with sensitive skin. I’d say my skin is slightly sensitive and my beard coarser then average but I don’t go around rubbing other guys faces.
My skin tolerates the blade part of shaving, but lights up from the ingredients used to add fragrances. My old man, grey, coarse whiskers are pretty dense but with the pre-shave routine I use, don’t require the most efficient razors available.

Space Monkey forgot one blade on that list and it’s a Schick B-20 made in Japan. It’s different then their regular Chinese ones and doesn’t come with a key so you have to load them in another injector yourself to use them.

I didn't forget them, I just named the three that come in injector packages. Most folks don't reload the B-20s.

All my Nacets have the printing on the paper.

Huh, that's interesting, most of my Nacets (and Perma-Sharps) compe in unprinted white paper. Is there some vintage or reason that some do and some don't?

Top Bottom