What's new

What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why?

Gillette Platinums, because they were the first blade I tried and liked them. Overpaid by quite a bit; all part of the learning curve. Still very good blades.

So far I've tried Gillette Platinums, Feathers, Astra SPs, Gillette Nacets, Rapira Stainless, Rapira Platinum Lux, Big Be, Croma, Personna Lab Blue, Voskhod and a couple of random ones.

For me the Gillette Russian blades -- Platinums, Facets, and Astra SPs are the best. The Feathers I need to try again. I loved the way they shaved on the first pass but I nicked myself too much on the 2nd and 3rd. I think I may have been using them too early in my learning curve. Also, they only last two shaves for me. Come to think of it, I only use any blade three times anyway.

The big disappointment for me so far based on other people's raves was Voskhod. They were quite smooth feeling but not very sharp for me. They would tug on more than a day's stubble, even on the first use.

My last 100 pack purchase was Astra SP blades. Why? Because they have been my go-to blade for years, and I don't want to run below the "lifetime" stock level if their quality ever changes. I have several hundred on hand, and other blades as well. I also like the Gillette Silver Blue blades, and bought a hundred of those on the previous shopping run. They are great blades, and I rotate them into my shaving routine regularly, but even though the box looks cool, the Astra SP is identical to maybe a touch smoother in performance, and I can buy more Astra blades for less Dollars (because they are marketed to a lower income population).

I'd love to be a fly on the wall if a Gillette executive spilled the truth about their many blade brands made in St Pete, Russia. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the major difference between brand names were packaging, and target market pricing... They are all great blades..

The latest 100 (or more :001_tongu) purchase for me is 1000 of Vidyut Super Platinums. They are made by the same company that makes the SuperMax line of blades, but the Vidyuts are much cheaper and worked very well so far. Costs only like $3/100.

100-count of Feathers, because they are foolproof in my Pre War Tech. No other blade, in that razor, even comes close for me, so I decided to stock up. It's also my FIRST 100-count purchase.

Both are excellent blades. I got the Blue's before the price went through the roof.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Astra SP's. I heard good things about them and I don't really like having too many options. I figured having 100 of them, would render plenty of practice for me to learn my technique with them. Oh, and because the price is great!

Oh, man. Love the Gillette 7O'clock Blues. I just started shaving with one. Great blade. I only wish I found out about them sooner. Such is life.

Ordered 100 Big Ben blades the other day, an obscure Lord blade made for the Egyptian market. They give me awesome shaves.

Dorco st300. Maybe I'm a master of self destruction or mom may have dropped me just one time too many. I don't know, All kidding aside they just work for me. Wes

Picked up 100 Treet Durasharp. Was ordering from Connaught, they were cheap and didn't add to the shipping cost. I like carbon blades, though most of the ones I've used have been vintage. So I figured, why not? They are one of the few shops that seem to sell those blades. So much for my plan not to buy any more modern blades.

Gillette Platinums. Bought 800 total. Think I'll be set for awhile, haven't used any other blades in a couple years now.

800! Let's see, I get about 7 shaves/blade (if not more), so 50 blades/year. This would be at least 16 years for me.

Guess you will not run out!

200 Treets dura sharps carbon steel blades and 200 gem ss se ptfe blades and these are my first mail order purchases ever. The reason why I bought these 2 types of blades is simply because I can`t get them locally. Previously I have been buying astra ss and platinums and gillette blue thins locally and I still have a lot left. I have been shaving with se razors for a bit over a month now and in about 1-2 months time I plan on buying another 600-800 more gem ss se pfte blades. I`ve given myself a grace period just to make sure I really like shaving with se razors before I commit to a large bulk buy of se blades and after one month I am getting great shave with them.

Last edited:
I've just bought 500 Personna med preps, don't know what's going to happen to them now that the factory's been sold...

picked up 100 Gillette silver blues from an online store here in aus for a great price with shipping ( pureman.com.au )

I love the feathers, the polslilver and the persona Israeli reds, but the gsb's are fantastic in my R89 Grande and my 1959 red tip.

I find the gsb's a very very smooth shave for my face.

Feathers from Amazon... couldn't resist the price and free 2-day shipping... I should be set on blades for a while now!

Last edited:
Top Bottom