What's new

What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why?

I just made my first 100 blade purchase I went with Astra SP. I got 15 of them in a sampler pack when I first stated this journey, almost 2 years ago. I've been very happy with them, been getting up to 30 shaves per blade with them. I was ordering a few things for the wife from Amazon, and figured what's an extra $10 for what should last me a several years.
30 shaves! Wow! I rarely go past 3, maybe making it to 4 when I'm lazy, but I best prefer 1 or 2!

But yeah, a lot of us start with Astra SP - for good reason - and then seem to stick with them or always have them around.

They're my goto recommendation for a newb: Dirt cheap and readily available from a multitude of sources, sharp enough, smooth enough, reasonably robust, and versatile. What's not to like?

30 shaves! Wow! I rarely go past 3, maybe making it to 4 when I'm lazy, but I best prefer 1 or 2!

But yeah, a lot of us start with Astra SP - for good reason - and then seem to stick with them or always have them around.

They're my goto recommendation for a newb: Dirt cheap and readily available from a multitude of sources, sharp enough, smooth enough, reasonably robust, and versatile. What's not to like?
I don't sudenly have bad shaves from an old blade, they just start to take more work and time than I want to put in. I get at least 10 on most blades and have hit the mid 30s on both Astra SP and GSB. There are a lot of guys around here who get a month or more out of a blade. A few even hit triple digits. If you want to learn more check out this thread.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/431416-Excalibur-Club-Blade-Longevity-DE-SE-and-Injector

I just got another 100 Astra SPs, but they are for my brother. I just got 22 shaves on my first one, they just gradually sort of stop working and leave too much stubble, they don't just go bad during a shave.

More in the offing, I think, but if I keep getting 20 + shaves on every blade, I don't think I need many more, I probably won't live past 100.

Peter

I don't sudenly have bad shaves from an old blade, they just start to take more work and time than I want to put in. I get at least 10 on most blades and have hit the mid 30s on both Astra SP and GSB. There are a lot of guys around here who get a month or more out of a blade. A few even hit triple digits. If you want to learn more check out this thread.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/431416-Excalibur-Club-Blade-Longevity-DE-SE-and-Injector
Thanks for the reply, I opened your link, glanced at it, and am going to check-out your thread in more detail after I finish this post.

Interesting stuff, though.

I think maybe some of us just like that cold crispness of a fresh blade. My usual Astra SP in a EJ DE89 seems to lose a bit of that sharpness after only one or two shaves, and by 4 or 5 it's lost a fair amount of efficacy IMO. So I took this as a sign I might prefer a sharper blade, and just started playing around with Kais.

But seriously, triple digit shaves? I'm at a loss for words, but can't wait to read your thread because I think it's always good to test & challenge conventional wisdom!

Personna Crystals. My favorite blade and $13.13 for 100 on eBay. Although I had 40 in my stash, got 100 more since I had $10 in eBay bucks I needed to use before it expired.

I bought 400 Polsilver Iridium after wanting to try them for a long time and reading many reviews. I've been using Lord Platinum for the last two years and I'm interested to see if I can discern any significant difference.

I bought 400 Polsilver Iridium after wanting to try them for a long time and reading many reviews. I've been using Lord Platinum for the last two years and I'm interested to see if I can discern any significant difference.
I used one this morning in my iKon 101, on a four day growth. It carved effortlessly through the hair, and was incredibly smooth. Distinctly different to the Lord Platinum, and even more different to the Rockwell (which is noisy and drags, but still gives a surprisingly good shave after all that).

100 Lord Platinum. I have used GSB, PolSilvers, MedPreps, Astra SS and SP, Shark stainless, Feathers, all of the 7 o'clocks, also german Wilkies and the best shave I have ever had(including the 5 blade cartridges I used to use) was a Lord Platinum on the 3rd use with a Meuhle r 41.

Top Bottom